Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my GG MDX a month ago and just gave her a wash in the weekend. Thought about waxing it, but didn't do it because I recall someone mentioned on this site that there was no need to wax the MDX in the first 6 months because of the factory paint thing.

Is this true? If not, how often do you suggest waxing the X. After every wash or once a year?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would also like to know what type of wax should be used? I've heard alot about Zaino, but do not plan to use this product. I wash my white X almost every weekend. I've had my X for about 2 1/2 months. I bought some Zymol cleaner wax from Costco, but am not sure I should use it yet on a new vehicle. I'm thinking since the paint is so new, I should be using a pure wax product and not one that has a cleaner in it.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Assuming you didn't get taken for the dealer paint protection special, the MDX should be waxed immediately. I don't believe anyone here has recommended waiting 6 months...and if they did, they were either corrected or banned :)

First thing to do is get whatever crap the dealer put on it offa there: Dawn wash first. Take a stroll through the Detailing forum for some tips on getting started...Bobby Sandler started a recent thread w/Q's that has some great info...

If you're gonna use a traditional carnauba wax, plan on doing it every 2 months or so. If you're gonna use a polymer (Zaino or Klasse are the preferred ones), you can go 4-6 months in between -- but you won't want to cuz the shine is sooooo good.

Marfong -- as you guessed, cleaner wax isn't necessary for a new finish. Get a finish wax.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I didn't think I would spring for Zaino....

either, but seeing the fabulous shine made me want it too!! I actually use Meguire's Gold class on our older cars - but after using it (Z)...nothin' but Zaino will go on the 'X. It is soooo effortless to use and looks sooo good!!!:D In fact, I've been considering switching all of the cars to Zaino...:rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
X-Mom,

Do you have a white X? I thought I read a previous thread that you mentioned your's was white color. If so, does Zaino really make white shine? White really isn't color that shines like the darker colors. I also have a white X and planning to Zymol it this weekend (vs Zaino-ing it). If I had one of the shiny colors, I'd probably use Zaino, but with white, Zaino maybe overkill.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Marfong!

Yes, I do have white (and love it!). I was very impressed with Zaino for many reasons, but I could immediately FEEL the difference on the 'X after application. I purposely felt the paint before applying Zaino, and then I felt it after. Even on a brand new car (truck:rolleyes:), the difference was immediately apparent. OK, I also have an admission...I did not realize (until reading this forum) that multiple coats of wax do not build upon each other for more protection. That fact (along with Worm's fabulous pics) made me give it a try. As you may have read, hubby requires keeping cars forever:rolleyes: (and my practical side makes me agree;) ), and so, I want it to look great for a long time. Therefore, I was convinced by the UV protection and the layering protection offered by Zaino. I agree with you that the white will never enjoy the mirrored look (or the scratches, etc;) ), but Zainoed white looks great! Like I said before, I am even considering Z5 for our other cars. Just MHO!:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
What's going on? Where's Octavian in this discussion? His comments and the Worm's got me Zainofied, and the stuff is great. I'm driving a black X, so it makes a big difference, but it's worth using on any color for the UV protection alone. Check out http://www.zainobros.com for lots of pictures of it on different color cars. Since you're in California, you can go to http://www.lazaino.com if you want to deal with Ira, the local distributor.

Good luck!

(Just a prediction, but within two weeks, you're going to be posting questions about towels. You'll see.)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just found out that my MDX was only washed before delivery and NOT waxed. Are the new cars from Acura suppose to be prepped before delivery with a waxing coat included? I was shocked that it was only washed before delivery and not waxed...

Because of the testimonials on Zaino, I'm considering using these products asap. (especially since no wax on it from beginning)

I live in No. Calif., and thought someone on this website had mentioned that there was a Zaino distributor in the San Jose area which is much closer to my home.

I'm still upset....if you pay over $40K for a vehicle...you would think a wax coat would be included. My dealer was Hopkin's Acura in Redwood City.

Do all dealers not include a waxing on delivery?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Marfong--
Most folks around here (and certainly the Zaino-heads) would be thrilled to get their X unwaxed. Sure, on a $40K+ vehicle, you'd hope the dealer would do it, but chances are if they did, they wouldn't do it well (judging from the number of posts I've read mentioning "dealer-installed swirls".) And this way you're saved the trouble of removing the wax if you decide to Zaino.

Jon

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Marfong....

I KNEW you had the potential to be Zainofied!;) I remember thinking "what's all the fuss about?" and before I knew it, I had seen the pics, read the testimonials, and become a convert!!! I could not wait for it to arrive in the mail! I even look FORWARD to applying it!:rolleyes: I am a true addict!! Just wait.......you will cross over, too!;) :D

If I am still looking forward to the application when I have about 10 coats - we will have to start a support group!;) :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
You rang, misterjon? Here I is, doin' muh thang in Detroit, or as I now call this fine city, "DEE-troyt."

Looks like this thread is well in hand with Worm and Mom on it.....btw, I am now up to 18 coats of Zaino. Believe it or not, it actually goes on easier and comes off easier the more coats I put on, and I now use about .75 oz vs. 1 oz to coat my X.

My wife's Ody takes a bit more juice to coat it, but I am only on coat #3 over on HER side of the garage.....gotta get my priorities straight, dontcha know?:D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Back to your original question (though to segue is to live in this family!) tongli--how often to wax...

If you Zaino, you can be reassured from Sal Zaino himself that 1 coat of Zaino will outprotect and outlast 1 coat of anything else, however often you decide to wax. He certainly recommends more coats for best results, but if you do >= 1 coat every 6 months, you're set. And definitely start immediately.

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Robyjo said:
Back to your original question (though to segue is to live in this family!) tongli--how often to wax...

He certainly recommends more coats for best results, but if you do >= 1 coat every 6 months, you're set. And definitely start immediately.
Okay, I can get away with 1 coat per 6 months if I'm lazy. I'm zainoing much more often than that now, but I can see the new wearing off and I'd be less motivated to apply the Zaino.

The question I have is... Since I don't have ZFX, how often should I Z1? How often should I dawn, claybar, etc.?

I'd get ZFX but some part of me refuses to pay $20 for 2mL. What is that stuff? Heroin? Cocaine? Liquid gold? What?

Thanks for any help.

E

·
Registered
80 Posts
ericp said:

I'd get ZFX but some part of me refuses to pay $20 for 2mL. What is that stuff? Heroin? Cocaine? Liquid gold? What?

E
Eric--
Yes, the ZFX is expensive, but instead of looking at it as $20 for 2mL, look at it as $20 for hundreds of hours saved. You only need a couple drops per application, so it'll last a long time, and it cuts drying time from hours down to 20 minutes. So the question is, how much is your time worth?

Jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
waxing and waxes

If you are going to use traditional wax, I would strongly suggest that you use paste rather than liquid wax, and would choose between Blitz one grand and P21S concours wax. both are available at properautocare.com. I use both on my silver audi with terrific results. the blitz is a bit harder but may last longer. P21S is softer, easier to apply and remove, probably because it is mixed with beeswax.

Oh, and don't forget to polish or glaze the vehicle prior to waxing if you want the ultimate shine

for me, the MDX will be my wife's car, which means it will be cleaned only when I think of it. I already spend enough time cleaning and waxing my audi (every two months if you were curious) so I plan to go the polymer route with the MDX and have already ordered Klasse all-in-one and sealant glaze.

I expect delivery on the MDX in three weeks, and will insist that it be delivered to me unwaxed and unwashed if possible (plus no dealer decals, etc.)

for me, I hand wash in my driveway only, but hey, to each his own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts