Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you all. How often do you use your navi system? I'm debating whether to get a Premium model and put in an after market rear camera or go with the Tour/Navi which would include the rear camera. The thing is, I really don't care too much for the Tour but really want the rear camera, however, the price difference between the Premium and Tour/Navi is almost $5000. Maybe if I knew how "often" and how "useful" the Navi is, I might consider going with the Tour/Navi model. Thanks for all your response. . . . .

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
EVERYTIME I get in the MDX. Trust me if you got the finances do it, you wont regret it. Plus you are getting a better version. From now on I wont buy a car without Navi.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I use the car more than my wife, especially the navigator. But even she says she can not see buying another car without it.
Especially if you live in a large metro area, there is no way you know all the streets, and in particular which side of the street a particular address is located.
And out of town, it's invaluable to get your around freeway turnoffs, and forks, etc. etc.
I can't say enough good things about it. But I drove for many years without it, and I don't know how.
IF I didn't have it, I would have a Streetpilot or something similar.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I use it all the time. I used to use a book type map for the Nashville metro area, but use the Navi now. I just put in the address and it gets me there. I go to about 5 residential address per day.

On trips it is great!! I have gotten stuck on some construction areas before on I-40 and the Navi will show you the ways around the back-ups on the interstate by showing you the parallel highways you can take to get around the traffic.

Like Warzu stated, "If you've got the finances do it, you won't regret it.

Mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
ditto that

I wouldn't do without one now that I have one. Use it every day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
it's almost impossible to live w/o it now... i use it even on known routs just to have an estimate on how long i need to travel (especially if there is a traffic jam)

·
Registered
617 Posts
It is very helpful on everyday trips if you think about how much time you'll save.
Let's say you're in a spot in your metro area, I always search for "nearest" post office for the mail, nurseries, bike store, banks, etc..I wonder I can't search for a gun store..:confused:

One time, we were looking for big aquariums at garage sales, we punched in the address and off we went, it was so much fun, we felt we beat the rest..

And I agree on long trips, it is such a big help I wonder it took me years before I realized my laptop navigation is too bulky, its just wires everywhere, Then I decided on Garmin Streetpilot but at that time it has no color screen and the screen itself is too small, imagine looking at the bright road then look down at Garmin screen, you can't see anything while your eyes is adjusting but then you have to look back to the road...

I will never buy a second car without a NAV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We weren't going to get the navigation when we bought our 2002 MDX. Then we got lost on the way to the dealer and you know how women hate to get LOST - - - we were fighting like cats and dogs. After testing out the NAV on the test drive, we were sold. Now she doesn't need my lousy direction giving and I don't have to hear her yap.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
tearsnrain said:
We weren't going to get the navigation when we bought our 2002 MDX. Then we got lost on the way to the dealer and you know how women hate to get LOST - - - we were fighting like cats and dogs. After testing out the NAV on the test drive, we were sold. Now she doesn't need my lousy direction giving and I don't have to hear her yap.
:19:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Best feature of the car after the room. Almost consider trading my 01 for an 03 to get the upgrade:D

Chris

·
Registered
191 Posts
We use Navi all the time. All those I have talked to who have opted not to get the navi tell me they regret it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like knowing where in the hell I am even if I know where I'm going. Does that make sense? It's great for finding golf courses!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just purchased mine on the weekend and I have to say.. like everone, if you have the finances do it. In an auto loan you will barely see the payment and trust me it is great. I have to say the feature right now that I enjoy most is the one that lets you see all the gas stations in the data base. Not only do you know that there is a gas statiion coming up but there is the little symbol for it so you know what company of gas station.Pretty neat to see little BP or Exxon or Shell symbols(if you are picky about where you get your gas) It will show you gas stations just off of a road that alot of times you didn't even know they were there. You can use this feature for restaurants and atms. If you have any doubts about how accurate it is. I would say it is within 35 feet. That is damn near perfect in my opinion. Just remember also that you are getting a very advanced trip computer as well. Like one post said a while back "you will get tired of telling people it isn't a navigation system, just a compass". You can store up to 100 personal points of intrest as well. You could use this feature as a address book if you wanted. look forward to the update of 8+million POI. I hope 01/02 can use it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use my navigation system almost every time I use my car. Unfortunatley, I get ribbed by those driving with me (come on, you know how to get home from here, or how to get to my school, etc). What they dont realize is that I use the Nav also to figure out how long it will take to get to where I am going, not just to find out how to get there.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I also use the Nav almost every time I drive. It is helpful in determining an arrival time, and checking out upcomming road curves, etc.

Having said that, I will also say that in using the Nav on familiar routes I have become aware of its frequent inability to find the shortest route. Just yesterday, I was using the Nav and I took an exit off the "freeway" earlier than the one it wanted me to. Once it "realized" that I had gone off course it recalculated and the arrival time cut in half. I have noticed this many times before. It will get you to where you want to go, but I do not count on it to get me anywhere the shortest route. (yes, I have the settings properly set up)

I generally use the route guidance once I have gotten fairly close to my destination in order to hone in on it. If I am not familiar with the route, I will still research it in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The arrival time, or miles left before destination, is one of the best things about the NAV....it's no fun being stuck in traffic in the LA area, but at least knowing how far or near you are to your destination takes a lot of the anxiety away as you inch along the freeways.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything posted above.

One thing I would add: Sometimes you use it to get someplace you already know how to get to and it offers you a route you never knew existed. I've driven in So Cal for about 23 years (more than 30 if you count being a pasenger), but the Navi still occasionally teaches me something. Also, if you've been in an area a long time, you get used to using the older roads you learned originally; sometimes the Navi teaches you newer, better roads.

·
681 Posts
It's A Gotta Have

Even I'm amazed how often I use the nav and how useful it is. I thought I was getting a neat toy but now I would never own a car without it. Even when I know where I'm going I like knowing how far it is and the estimated driving time - which I find to be amazingly accurate.
Bottom Line - DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT :5:
Meep Meep

·
Registered
206 Posts
A Better Question?

Maybe a better question is not 'how often do you use it' but rather how often do you need it? I opted out of adding it as an option when I couldn't remember the last time I didn't know where I was going. Salesfolks, sure...new to and area,sure....on a vacation, sure...but for day in and day out I think it doesn't meet the 'yeah, it took 100 $20 bills out of my wallet, but I gotta have it' test.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts