Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Last night my windshield cracked, it definitely needs to be replaced. So I was wondering how much anyone else has gotten their's replaced for. Also should I even consider having someone other than the dealer do this work for me? My MDX is a 2001 (dAMN thin and weak glass if you ask me) Thanks for the cool replies I know i'll get.:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Most glass places are pros at this stuff. They replace glass on every vehicle imaginable.
I have had it done twice on other cars at National Glass (there are many others) and never had a problem. Both had winshield antennae, etc.
They are probably faster than your dealer too. Call around, see if ithe (thicker) 2002 glass can be retrofitted. Unless it's just the side glass that's thicker, not sure.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
gokings55 said:
Hi everyone,
Last night my windshield cracked, it definitely needs to be replaced. So I was wondering how much anyone else has gotten their's replaced for. Also should I even consider having someone other than the dealer do this work for me? My MDX is a 2001 (dAMN thin and weak glass if you ask me) Thanks for the cool replies I know i'll get.:)
Do you have glass coverage from your insurance?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had mine replaced.

My window cracked last winter. I called the dealer, but they said they would just send it out to a glass place. My insurance company recommended Safelite, which I think is a national chain.

Safelite replaced the window and they originally quoted $580...and then they discounted it to $480 when I pointed out that most glass places offer discounts or other perks. They replaced my windshield in my work parking lot using their mobile service.

Of course, since I have a $500 comprehensive deductible, my insurance company didn't have to pay anything.

The glass is suppose to be OEM because Safelite said that there are no aftermarket manufacturers yet. But, it does not say Honda on it anymore...and I believe it is quieter now. That wind noise around the windshield seems to be reduced.

All in all, I am happy with Safelite.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it!:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check with your insurance company before you do anything. I had two cars that were hit by stones (from construction equipment) and had to be replaced. In both cases, my co pay was $50.00 and the insurance agent said that this type of claim is separate from others, like accidents and theft--and doesn't effect your premiums.

Why pay out of pocket if you don't have to (or especially if you've already paid for it many times over via your monthly insurance premiums).

·
Registered
421 Posts
My windshield just cracked due to a pebble hitting it while on the expressway. I was told the 2 inch crack cannot be repaired and it will cost $850 for a PPG glass replacement. I have $500 deductible with GE auto insurance comprehensive. Will call insurance co. on Monday. Will I be out the $500 or do some companies exclude some or all of the dedictible for instances like this.

Any suggestions how to handle?

·
Registered
421 Posts
lester123 said:
My windshield just cracked due to a pebble hitting it while on the expressway. I was told the 2 inch crack cannot be repaired and it will cost $850 for a PPG glass replacement. I have $500 deductible with GE auto insurance comprehensive. Will call insurance co. on Monday. Will I be out the $500 or do some companies exclude some or all of the dedictible for instances like this.

Any suggestions how to handle?
What gives?? I just called Safelite to get an estimate due to being recommended several places on this forum. They indicated that they can repair any crack that will fit under a dollar bill (2x6 in), so I scheduled them to come out for the repair. Furthermore, they indicated that most insurance companies will cover their $59 charge even with a deductible. (The place I went to this morning has been in business for over 30 years and had work done by them 25 yrs ago)

·
Registered
421 Posts
lester123 said:

What gives?? I just called Safelite to get an estimate due to being recommended several places on this forum. They indicated that they can repair any crack that will fit under a dollar bill (2x6 in), so I scheduled them to come out for the repair. Furthermore, they indicated that most insurance companies will cover their $59 charge even with a deductible. (The place I went to this morning has been in business for over 30 years and had work done by them 25 yrs ago)
Had the "repair job" done - didn't look as good as I wanted, but didn't want to spend the $500 deductible. Parked outside last night, and when I saw winshield this morning, I notice that the crack had spread another 2 inches. Guess I will now need to get replaced. What would cause crack to spread all of the sudden??

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
How much difference is the low and high temps? Also just the weight of the glass can cause it to stress the crack more and make it spread.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Warzau said:
How much difference is the low and high temps? Also just the weight of the glass can cause it to stress the crack more and make it spread.
temp difference only about 20 degrees - 80 high and 60 low last night; just got a quote from local place at $450 - is that price reasonable? (I have $500 deductable insurance) I have never had a windshield replaced - does it take rocket science for a dealer to do or can about any place do the job, with a warantee?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
lester123 said:

temp difference only about 20 degrees - 80 high and 60 low last night; just got a quote from local place at $450 - is that price reasonable? (I have $500 deductable insurance) I have never had a windshield replaced - does it take rocket science for a dealer to do or can about any place do the job, with a warantee?
Lester,
Your deductible may not apply to your glass coverage. It probably does not. Check your policy, or call your agent/ insurer.
ANy Acura dealer can do it. Any glass replacement shop can do it, but not all of them use OEM quality glass. DOn't forget the xray windshield wiper sensor on the '03 .

I'd hazard a guess the the repair job caused the crack to spread, not temperature differences. You may be able to get your money back.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My front windshield of my 2001 MDX cracked due to a traffic accident. I was comtemplating alot about weather to get the "honda" windowshield or the aftermarket.

Seriously...I had the PPG glass which HONDA/ACura use...And am really happy with it. The glass company that I used with PPG standard is really THICK and actually reduce the road/wind noise by quite a bit.

My vehicle actually drive much quieter. The only thing that I do not have is the Honda name on the windshield.

·
Registered
421 Posts
lester123 said:

I checked with my insurance company and my comprehensive has a $500 deductible, including glass, so I will have to pay the replacement cost out of pocket.
I have now found that there are significant variances on the quotes I am receiving. Last November I called 2 places and got quotes about $800. Now when I call around, I got 2 quotes of about $450. Today I called 3 more places, and got much lower prices. One was from a very large national company, Safelite, which was for about $260 (includes their own manufactured glass); the other two were for $300 and $240 and included PPG glass. (All quotes included the 7% OH sales tax.) At this time I am inclined to go with Safelite because they are well known and national. Since I previously paid the repair cost last Nov. of $59, they will refund this expense to my insurance company, which picked up the charge at that time.

Any comments? Anyone have any experience with Safelite? How is their glass compared to PPG or LOF?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts