Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't say none if you never check your oil level between oil changes.

My MDX burns about 1/2 a litre every 6,000 kilometres.

For Americans, this is 1/2 a quart every 4,000 miles.

My Bimmer's burn no oil between 20,000 km or 12,000 mile oil changes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I do my own oil changes and have seen 'no' oil lost between oil changes so far and when I've checked it in between I still haven't seen any oil loss.

Note that there's 'burning oil' and there's 'leaking oil' - i.e. from an oil drain bolt not perfectly sealed with the crush washer, leaks around the oil filter, etc.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i have heard that direct injection engines do consume a little oil. I have never had to add any on my two 14s ( my accord has a 4 cylinder earth dream engine). However I have noticed the dip sticks about a half a quart low after 5K miles. The 15 MDX still has its original oil and has 5k miles on it. I will check the stick tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my 2014 MDX,it did use about a quart after the first oil change at 5500 miles.I attributed it to using the thin oil that is recommended,and went to a 5w-20 oil.So far,it has not used any after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2010 MDX Advance with 82,000 miles on it that I bought new. I always change my own oil and check the oil level frequently. When the level gets down 1/2 quart, I add that amount to bring the level back full. This last change interval, I added 1/2 quart at about 5,000 miles. When I changed the oil at 7,500 miles, the level was almost full. My maint monitor indicated I had between 20% and 30% oil life left. I use only synthetic 5W-20 oil and top tier oil filters.

I am satisfied with this level of oil consumption

·
Registered
423 Posts
Checked the 15, with 5k miles. Original oil. Down 1/2 quart on the stick. Not bad. 20 % life left.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It shouldn't burn any oil

but if it does, you'll get a low oil warning on your dashboard. These days there's really no need to check engine oil. Every car has a sensor that will tell you if you're low. Same goes for tire pressure, windshield washer fluid, etc.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
These days there's really no need to check engine oil. Every car has a sensor that will tell you if you're low.
That's wrong on both counts. Most cars do NOT have a low oil indicator and one really 'should' check the oil level periodically. The MDX does NOT have a low oil indicator AFAIK. It has a 'low oil pressure' indicator but that's a different metric and if it comes on the engine needs to be shut off right away because it means irreparable engine damage may be imminent since it means there's likely not enough oil in the system to maintain proper oil flow and lubrication - which can be 'too late'.

In addition, many vehicles, including new ones from virtually all manufacturers, can 'burn oil' since there are always some oil losses due to oil getting past seals, piston rings, etc. and on top of that there could always be a minor leak from an improperly torqued drain bolt, poorly sealed oil filter, etc.

The bottom line is that what you posted is completely wrong and if people follow your advice they may damage the vehicle. I don't know why you said what you did when it's so clearly both wrong and bad advice. Did a salesperson tell you this or something?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's wrong on both counts. Most cars do NOT have a low oil indicator and one really 'should' check the oil level periodically. The MDX does NOT have a low oil indicator AFAIK. It has a 'low oil pressure' indicator but that's a different metric and if it comes on the engine needs to be shut off right away because it means irreparable engine damage may be imminent since it means there's likely not enough oil in the system to maintain proper oil flow and lubrication - which can be 'too late'.

In addition, many vehicles, including new ones from virtually all manufacturers, can 'burn oil' since there are always some oil losses due to oil getting past seals, piston rings, etc. and on top of that there could always be a minor leak from an improperly torqued drain bolt, poorly sealed oil filter, etc.

The bottom line is that what you posted is completely wrong and if people follow your advice they may damage the vehicle. I don't know why you said what you did when it's so clearly both wrong and bad advice. Did a salesperson tell you this or something?
That's correct. And what if your low oil pressure light comes on when you are hundreds of miles from everywhere and you have no oil?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts