Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just replaced my radiator, it didn't fail but was leaking, and shop I trust said replace, but they charged me $1000 and because I trust them, I did it - but then someone said I got ripped off. Anyone know what it should cost to replace radiator in 2001 MDX? I don't think they did anything else, no hoses or belts or anything. At the time I was just relieved it was a radiator, and no major damage to anything else. Car has 232k miles and no issues prior that I was aware of. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
$1000 sounds pretty outrageous, if it was just a radiator. I don't doubt that you'd pay that much getting it done at an Acura dealer, but hey - they give you free coffee, after all! ;-)

I just looked at the process in the factory manual. It's a little fiddly, to be sure... you have to pull the fans, along with a host of connectors and clamps in the area, the battery box (no big deal), and a vertical brace. Just swagging it, I'd guess it would take me (a fairly competent shadetree wrench twister) a couple hours to do the job. A radiator would cost me about $100 delivered from roackauto.com. Yes, I know that's apples and oranges (DIY vs. shop) but I can't imagine a scenario where a shop would have a guide that suggests charging THAT much labor (even if $300 of your bill was for an overpriced radiator).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The cost for an OE Denso radiator at the dealer has a list of about $400. Add coolant and the few other things you need at dealer list can add another $100. All that depends on how your shop is getting its parts. And of course what that shops hourly rate is. But thinly way to really comment is if you posted the invoice charges.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, no it wasn't the dealer, but man, I am bummed. I pulled the invoice, it included the thermostat, and hoses and I just noticed $90 for diagnostic. $411 for all parts, and $480 for labor + the $90 as stated. Man, I trusted those guys. I just noticed they charged me for two thermostats, maybe I need to ask about that at least. Sigh. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The invoice doesn't state the type of radiator, just lists a charge of $219 plus $28 for the cap. $20 for coolant, $39 for each thermostat (2), and $60 for both hoses. Miscellaneous other. I'd had a rough prior week, otherwise I might have been a little more inquisitive and on my game about what I was buying, exactly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any idea what they charge for labor? They can do by the hour or flat rate by the book. So your over $400 in parts. The diagnostic charges can suck. Some shops can roll that into the overall work, but if it was $90 for "Yes, it's leaking" then that smarts. I don't mind paying if they have to plug in a laptop and go through the testing procedure, that equipment and training is cost sensitive as it's usually more then the code readers at the parts stores.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, just double checked my recent dealership quote, $884 plus tax and after pressing a bit to get the parts quote I do recall that being in the range of $425 or so and I'm sure they would have hit me up for some nonsense replacing misc. stuff at full retail for parts & shop fees so easily about $1k. I did the job myself because it happened to work out and was a preemptive move so not an emergency. Don't beat yourself up over it, we've all over paid for things at times and second guessed ourselves due to a number of factors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts