Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the answer on google to this simple question.

How much (quart / mL) of engine oil is to add so the oil level is EXACTLY at the top line if the oil level is EXACTLY between the top and bottom line? I am trying not to accidentally adding too much oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
What? You want an exact measurement???

Just add oil until the oil level is between the 2 lines when Hot and call it a day, You are over thinking oil level too much.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is how much my car consumes oil after 677 miles. How much oil is consumed based on the oil level showing on the dipstick here?

I will wait for the oil level to drop right in the middle of the two lines before adding more oil to the top line so I know how much oil I add.

This excessive oil consumption makes me thinking that if I were to take a 1,000 mile trip vacation I better pack a jug of engine oil and funnel as part of my vacation planning! Sh*t. now there is one more thing to worry about!!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI: It takes 400 mL of oil to fill back up to the top line from the mid point of the two lines. I did this when the car is parked for 3 hours. It is best to check your engine oil level in the morning before you start the car. If I planned to check my oil in the morning I would remove the dipstick and wipe it clean and leave it to the side and leave the hood up so I remember to check the oil when I come back in the morning to start the car( of course you can only do this method if you have a garage). This method will give you a nice and clean oil line on the dipstick because the oil is thick and the dipstick tube is cleaned of oil so it doesn't obscure the oil line you are trying to read.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You cant read engine oil afrer 1 minute.. The J37 takes quite a while to settle the oil down.. Usually for a good part of 3 minutes until it gets a consistent reading.

As per The Owners Manual engine oil should always be read with a Hot Engine, Turn it off and allow 10 minutes (LOL) to check the engine oil level. Oil level must be between the lines..

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You cant read engine oil afrer 1 minute.. The J37 takes quite a while to settle the oil down.. Usually for a good part of 3 minutes until it gets a consistent reading.

As per The Owners Manual engine oil should always be read with a Hot Engine, Turn it off and allow 10 minutes (LOL) to check the engine oil level. Oil level must be between the lines..

"Oil must between the lines" does this mean there is no need to fill the oil even it is 1/4 or less above the bottom line and it's will not damage the engine?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Remember that the oil sticks to the walls of the engine when is running.. So the dipstick must be between the Top and Lower lines and that means its FULL...

When the engine is stone cold and the oil has dripped down the engine should read almost in the top of the line of the dipstick.

If you are leaving the engine at the Top Line when Hot? Its overfilled as when cold the oil level will read way above the Top Line.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember that the oil sticks to the walls of the engine when is running.. So the dipstick must be between the Top and Lower lines and that means its FULL...

When the engine is stone cold and the oil has dripped down the engine should read almost in the top of the line of the dipstick.

If you are leaving the engine at the Top Line when Hot? Its overfilled as when cold the oil level will read way above the Top Line.

I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I always checked and filled oil to the top line but never above it when the engine is stone cold. Is this how you do it?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yeah either way is correct..

When Cold and Leveled leave the engine oil level in the Top Line.

When Hot and Leveled leave the engine oil level between the Lines.

If you do either it should read the same.
Top when Cold
Middle when Hot
And Vice-versa.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oil changes = 5 litres
and drive on........................
i PREFER to slightly over fill..
my 2c
J.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, drive on without periodically checking until the next oil change NOT a good idea on my X. Isn't that true overfilled will do more harm than low oil?

Sorry my friend.. but you are putting words in my mouth here............................................

did i ever say not to check oil level./.......??????? if anyone here is anal about checking oil level its me.......................

Sumps can handle a fair bit of overfill... if you get stupid....... well thats on you

J.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
OP.. You are Uber´ing the X...
How many gas stops is there in a day of work? just check the oil level daily depending on how many fill ups you have. From day 1 to day 2 a lot of things can happen, specially due to the amount of mileage you are putting on the X.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What's the correct torque for the oil dipstick? I don't want it falling out and causing severe engine damage... :nerd:
Don't forget the safety wire :trustme:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.