Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of programming two 'driver 1' fobs or two 'driver 2' fobs to a 2005 MDX Touring? Honda service info states that up to three remotes can be programmed into memory. I'm curious how the third remote would be IDed by the MCU / Keyless receiver. Or must it be specifically a driver -or- specifically a passenger remote to work as the third?

I'm also wondering if this service info may be incorrect regarding the Touring model (apparently 'Touring' grade is required to have Drivers Position Memory System), and this instruction about programming up to three remotes is for the base model only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I tried to imply that I have factory service information just like what you posted. I can not find an answer to my questions in any related section of Honda's SI.

If anyone has personal knowledge/experience of this situation your input would be appreciated.

It's not clear to me (from the manual) about how many key fobs can be programmed, or if there is a limit on the DPMS settings. But these might help (and will show you how to program a new fob)...
Links removed due to new user status

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok you can have 3 remotes.
Two of them can be linked to the buttons 1 and 2
The 3rd will only unlock the car.

Don't worry about the 1 or the 2 on the remote box, that's just so it's easy to know who's key that is, the key is which button you bind it to.

Simple enough?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Don't worry about the 1 or the 2 on the remote box, that's just so it's easy to know who's key that is, the key is which button you bind it to.

Simple enough?
Interesting. I'll have to try this. Years ago I lost a remote, bought another on eBay, then later found the lost key and remote. Never tried programming the found third remote - but now I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Simple enough?
It sure sounds simple but it isn't true.

First gen MDX has the coding for position 1 or 2 built into the fob electronics/signal. The vehicle identifies which fob position is which during fob training. There is no procedure to assign a DPMS remote to either position setting.

Later DPMS system fobs are trainable as you stated.

As far as an optional 3rd fob not being integrated to DPMS settings, that is part of what I was asking about originally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I'll update my thread with the truth about programming three remotes to a Gen 1 MDX Touring. I've proven this on my 2005 Touring though I don't know for sure if other years have quirks. Again, this is for models that have DPMS. It took three weeks to get a spare used "driver 1" remote fob due to USPS temporarily losing my ebay shipment or I would have updated this earlier.

To program the remotes, it involves doing the following three times using the same remote (fob): turn the key on, press any button on the remote, then turn the key off, then turn the key on and press any button on said remote once more - at this time the system will give you feedback that this remote is programmed by cycling the locks. Now with the key still on, press a button on any extra remotes you want to program to the vehicle (up to two additional). The locks will cycle after each of the additional remotes are successfully programmed.

So thanks to ebay I now have two "driver 1" remotes and one "driver 2" remote. I programmed them in no particular order following the procedure above. When tested they all worked as they should. The two driver 1 remotes both set the memory to "1" and the driver 2 remote sets memory to "2" as they are designed to do.

So to sum up, one can add multiple of the same driver x fob to the same vehicle. I would presume that one could program three driver 1 fobs or three driver 2 fobs if he wished, in addition to the mix that I demonstrated above.

I would also assume that if one programmed a third remote using a non-Touring non-DPMS version fob, it would successfully program into memory and operate the locks/panic but not alter the memory settings upon entry. I may try this if I can fins a good price on a used non-DPMS fob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.