• Yes - I have had to replace a Wheel bearing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No - I have not had to replace a Wheel Bearing

Votes: 51 56.7%
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am going to buy parts from Amazon and find my own mechanic -- I'm doing the right thing here, yes?
No, find the mechanic first and then with his agreement purchase the parts...

Since you are NOT a DIY'er you need an established relationship between YOUR mechanic and yourself. You don't tell your Doctor how to fix "you" nor do you tell your mechanic how to fix your car.

A good mechanic is hard to find these days. The investment in tools is horrendous and the OEM no longer freely dispenses information that may be used against them in warrantee work etc. The public balks at $100 an hour labor rates when in reality the guy doing the job is lucky to get $25 of that amount.

I could rant on for a while but I won't.

I suggest taking it to the Acura dealer and just stand firm on what you want fixed. Do your homework and find out the best dealer in your area.

In the meantime start looking for a mechanic and building a relationship that works for both of you.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I replaced both front this past Summer. It's easy to do. It shouldn't take more than an hour each. Dealer is probably charging you about $500-600 for both. Before I went DIY, I brought my car to the dealer to diagnose the humming noise between 70-80MPH. I suggested to them that it may be bad bearing. The technician took a test drive, he thought the same but he couldn't tell for sure which side was bad. He suggested me to drive for awhile, and that when the humming noise became louder to bring it back. At the time, I asked if a bearing needed a replacement how much the cost would be. They said about $250-300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The same brand and type (Timken) of bearing / hub assembly on Amazon is about $50/ea whereas the mechanics around town want to charge me $150+/ea per wheel. Plus labor.

I found a mechanic willing to use my sourced parts and quoted me their labor cost. I have no problem paying for labor and gladly do so. But the parts markup is insane.

I am not trying to invest in a relationship; I'm visiting family and need something that will get me home. I don't need the 12k/12month warranty they said I'd sorely miss out on, either. I can source my parts, pay for labor, have the entire thing break the next day and pay for it all over again, and still be ahead of paying these places for their own parts & labor. I'm not driving back to this area any time soon, so the warranty just isn't worth it. If I were near home base, different story obviously.

Anyway, I have never had a good experience with an Acura dealer, either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I seem to be in wifi dead zone at the moment but I do see your point. Hopefully this will post.

Since it seems the wheels are not about to fall off then why not head home and accomplish the job there. Wheel bearings are fairly robust and your ability to control the car would be easily noticeable before a road failure of the bearing hub.

On my failure the hub sang for months and even when I did remove it I had no sign of a mechanical failure. If steering is normal and you have no tire cupping a drive back home should be possible.

Barring that you could have it trucked home and do a one way rental car cheaper than what you have been quoted. Or drive it out west and I will do the job for free, just bring your parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I seem to be in wifi dead zone at the moment but I do see your point. Hopefully this will post.

Since it seems the wheels are not about to fall off then why not head home and accomplish the job there. Wheel bearings are fairly robust and your ability to control the car would be easily noticeable before a road failure of the bearing hub.

On my failure the hub sang for months and even when I did remove it I had no sign of a mechanical failure. If steering is normal and you have no tire cupping a drive back home should be possible.

Barring that you could have it trucked home and do a one way rental car cheaper than what you have been quoted. Or drive it out west and I will do the job for free, just bring your parts.
I wish I had seen this sooner!

A gentleman is fixing it for $200 (labor) with my parts.

Unfortunately Amazon only sent 1 of 2 correct models. And one CV axle needed replacement, as well as one speed measurement instrument (not sure of the exact term).

So I'm out about the same amount, but it sounds like the vehicle's issues had been allowed to deteriorate to the point where other damage was occurring, like above. I had left the car with a friend while I was away at school (for the last 4 months). But I didn't start hearing any noises until 400+ miles into my trip last week, so I'm not sure what would have been done.

Oh well. It should be fixed tomorrow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a troubled right front bearing on my 02 Touring and I am abut to change BOTH front because I have the time and the parts. I've experienced similar with a previous Ford Explorer so I am not new to this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have replaced all for hubs in mine this past summer. My front two hubs were making noises. I got the MDX used this past spring and it was making the noises when I got it. Looks like both front rims had been curbed and I believe that is what had led to the hubs being damaged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 MDX Tech with 17.5K miles and front wheel bearing(s) are out as humming noise is getting louder and louder - quite diappointing. Taking it to dealer next week and expect warranty to cover this. Maybe our MDX is a Monday car as this is not the first noise related issue - a year ago, with 5K, the engine compartment plastic cover was vibrating at 1500 rpm and producing a loud vibration noise - it took 2 trips to the dealer for them to figure it out and fix it. Furthermore 2 recalls so far - not impressed at all with quality.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
2014 MDX Tech with 17.5K miles and front wheel bearing(s) are out as humming noise is getting louder and louder - quite diappointing. Taking it to dealer next week and expect warranty to cover this. Maybe our MDX is a Monday car as this is not the first noise related issue - a year ago, with 5K, the engine compartment plastic cover was vibrating at 1500 rpm and producing a loud vibration noise - it took 2 trips to the dealer for them to figure it out and fix it. Furthermore 2 recalls so far - not impressed at all with quality.
May be useful to post this is the 3G forum instead. That way we can potentially track other cases in a single thread as well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced both front this past Summer. It's easy to do. It shouldn't take more than an hour each. Dealer is probably charging you about $500-600 for both. Before I went DIY, I brought my car to the dealer to diagnose the humming noise between 70-80MPH. I suggested to them that it may be bad bearing. The technician took a test drive, he thought the same but he couldn't tell for sure which side was bad. He suggested me to drive for awhile, and that when the humming noise became louder to bring it back. At the time, I asked if a bearing needed a replacement how much the cost would be. They said about $250-300.
Did you have any trouble getting the old bearing hub assembly off after removing the 4 bolts on the back?

61 - 71 of 71 Posts