• Yes - I have had to replace a Wheel bearing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No - I have not had to replace a Wheel Bearing

Votes: 51 56.7%
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I suspect my wheel bearings are wearing out..
I sometime get a tremble vibration on the floor and other time a sort of grinding... but the grinding wont last long..
I thought it must be the transmission or the torque converter.. but looks like its coming from the wheels:eek: I am not sure.
This vehicle, I bet shall make me a good mechanic owning it :D

Does any of you think it has to do anything with the bearings now? :mad:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bearing part number is 44300-STX-A01. Retail is $98.65.

Remember the wheel bearing is part of the Powertrain Warranty and is 6 years/70,000 miles, not the regular 4 year/50,000 miles.
So I'm thinking one of the front bearings is shot - I'm going to try and confirm that on my ride home tonight.

Has anyone replaced bearing assembly themselves, it looks pretty straight forward but are there tips/tricks to follow? I don't have an impact gun and im wondering how well seated these things are ... I'm thinking I might have to beat on the old assembly to get it out ?

thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Wheel bearing issues

I have not even had my MDX for a year and I already need to have wheel bearings replaced This is my 3rd MDX, I said after the second one that I would not purchase another one but stupid me let them talk me in to it saying the 2014 was much better. WRONG.

·
Registered
24 Posts
07 MDX was making a "woo woo woo" rolling noise that was driving me crazy at low speeds >40mph, and a vibration at highways speeds. No one could tell me why... After reading this forum i finally bit the bullet and replaced all 4 wheel hub bearings. Two bearing were definitely bad (FR and LR), other two might have been alright but you can never be sure. The FR bearing fell apart with very little force when I tried removing it and LR was very hard to turn with hand.

After replacement the car is quieter than ever at low speeds but the vibration is still there for speeds above 70. Now, I can only hear the humm of the motor.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
2007 MDX with 67k miles, first owner. Bearings are still fine. But it is nice to read about these things so I can deal with it in the future. One question, how much is the bearing by itself? (Not the whole assembly.) As frugal as I am, I'd like to try the cheaper approach when necessary. Is it hard to do if I can borrow a press from a shop? Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
2012 MDX, a hair under 30k miles, drivers side front was replaced after the noises started coming up...replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My 09' 57K Miles / 92K kilometers had a noise that I thought was wheel bearing but ended up being the old original Michelin tires.
Once a new set of tires got put on, noise was gone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can anyone describe the wheel bearing system. Yes I have read in here. I am getting a slight grubbling noise noise from 1 - 35 or so. And I swear I can hear something at higher speeds. Can a wheel bearing be tested or you just have to replace if you think it's bad? The noise is coming from the front right wheel. And it has something to do with RMS...turning wheel. Can anyone describe the noise they were getting? I didn't notice the noise until they replaced all motor mounts and tranny mount. Oh I forgot to mention, they replaced the defective power steering recall too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Lift the suspect wheel/s, remove the center cover, and rotate the wheel by hand while feeling the axle nut. Any roughness or grinding feedback indicates a faulty bearing.

Also if you push/pull on wheel at 3-9 hr positions (wheel off ground) and have play, the bearing is likely loose. You have to examine the tie-rod BJ to be sure it's not a loose BJ.

Lot's of youtube videos on this subject.

good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sisters 07 mdx also had this problem. I purchased the new bearing but the axle wouldn't go through (it comes as the entire HUB assembly). I think the bearing wasn't machined properly, but just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem? Or maybe there is something I'm not doing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
07 RF Wheel Bearing Replaced at 72k.

Add my 2007 MDX to the list.

The RF wheel bearing would start to "whine" after about 20 miles and exactly at 40mph or greater. The longer the trip the louder the noise became. Below 40mph the noise abated. On short trips less than 20 miles there was no noise.

It took me almost 6 months to finally decide it was indeed the RF.

At 72k miles I did the change myself as a DIY and the job took a couple of hours with no issues. The old bearing was "tight" and exhibited nothing in the way of being failed but a new bearing hub assy fixed the whine.

The noise went away however now I can hear the beginnings of another wheel bearing squeal but I have yet to pinpoint the location.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2010 MDX and started noticing noise at about 60+ miles/hour. Turned out to be both front wheel bearings. Seemed so strange for them to go out on a five year old vehicle. Les Schwab replaced them for $212 each.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can add me and my 2007 with 160k miles to the list (picked up used so not sure if it has been done before - nothing in Acura records on this). Left front wheel bearing getting louder. Front rotors also annoyingly warped. Going to do the repairs next week when I have a few days off.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Wheel bearings seem to be regular maintenance items on vehicles operated in snow belt where roads are salted.

I've had two wheel bearing failures in over 30 yrs of TX operation. One Subaru and one BMW. None on my Honda or Acura vehicles.

good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
is it the factory bearing that is bad or the design in general that has them all go out eventually? Have any of you ever had to replace one that had already been replaced before, or are the replacements better quality?

·
Registered
36 Posts
2007 MDX with 67k miles, first owner. Bearings are still fine. But it is nice to read about these things so I can deal with it in the future. One question, how much is the bearing by itself? (Not the whole assembly.) As frugal as I am, I'd like to try the cheaper approach when necessary. Is it hard to do if I can borrow a press from a shop? Thanks.
At $60 or so for the complete hub assy from Timken or $86 from online Acura OEM dealers you wouldn't want to even try to go with individual bearing replacements. Not worth the hassle or the investment in tooling to be able to do the job yourself.

Buy the hub assy as the dealer does and replace it!

Lots of You-Tube videos on making this a DIY project.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is replacing both -front- wheel bearings acceptable? The reason is that I am hearing no noise/issues from the rear of my 2007 MDX, 120k miles, and I don't drive it much anymore.

And does anyone have an Amazon link to a wheel bearing they've bought and used for an MDX?

·
Registered
36 Posts
And does anyone have an Amazon link to a wheel bearing they've bought and used for an MDX?

This is what I purchased for my 2007 MDX Sport. I was very pleased.

Why did I buy this one and not an OEM hub?

Because I've had excellent results using Timken bearings over the years so why buy an OEM unit that fails?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is what I purchased for my 2007 MDX Sport. I was very pleased.

Why did I buy this one and not an OEM hub?

Because I've had excellent results using Timken bearings over the years so why buy an OEM unit that fails?

Amazon.com: Timken HA590228 Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive
A mechanic near me (Sarasota, Florida) wants $800 for replacing the front wheel bearings - that includes offsite stamping (not sure I heard correctly, but that's what it sounded like) and wheel alignment.

This seems excessive -- I figured $300-500 was reasonable. They won't accept outsourced parts because their service comes with a 12k mile warranty.

I am going to buy parts from Amazon and find my own mechanic -- I'm doing the right thing here, yes?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts