Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No - I have not had to replace a Wheel Bearing

Votes: 51 56.7%
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
wheel bearing

I just had my front (drivers side) bearing replaced on my 2008 MDX after hearing the same noises everyone is describing. Brought to Acura dealer and took service tech for a run and he heard it right away and said it was the wheel bearing. We were able to hear it much more making a right turn. All covered under warranty....Acura of Oakville provides great service!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just had my front (drivers side) bearing replaced on my 2008 MDX after hearing the same noises everyone is describing. Brought to Acura dealer and took service tech for a run and he heard it right away and said it was the wheel bearing. We were able to hear it much more making a right turn. All covered under warranty....Acura of Oakville provides great service!
Another 2008 MDX with FR wheel bearing needing replacement. This was a huge surprise. My last car never even needed a wheel bearing replacement until 180,000km!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Add my wife and I to the list of MDX owners with wheel bearing issues. Just got a used 2008 MDX with 42k miles on it. Ironically, we were looking at another one that had 32k miles on it and had a front wheel bearing replacement in its Carfax, but I digress...

When test driving ours, we noticed that exactly at 45mph, a droning noise and slight vibration (e.g. like a tuning fork felt through the wheel and floor) was emanating from the driver's side wheel well. Consistent at 45-50mph and repeatable. Spoke to service dept. before purchasing and they said it was probably just a flat spot in the tire, but with the bumper to bumper warranty (certified pre-owned) if it didn't go away in a week or two, bring it back and they'll look at it.

Didn't go away so we took it to the dealer today and they said it was the wheel bearing. They said it hadn't failed but something from it was making the noise and needed replacing. Not sure why it would make noise if it hadn't failed, but I'm not a car expert. Anyways, they replaced it and noise is gone. Now I'm just hoping all of the others fail while this thing is in warranty. :)

Seems like this is a pretty consistent issue. For us to see it on TWO MDX's at the same dealership is telling. Is there a recall in the future for these bearing kits? Should we be contacting Acura and filing complaints to ensure future issues will be covered? My understanding is that a wheel bearing issue should not be occurring this soon, if at all, in a vehicle's life.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Should we be contacting Acura and filing complaints to ensure future issues will be covered?
If they are replacing them under warranty, they are aware of the failure rate. There's a reason that warranties don't cover every part forever although some folks think they should.

From some posts I've read here, it seems that Acura can be pretty generous in chipping in for our of warranty repairs.

Besides, out of the millions of MDX owners who read this forum every day, only ten (according to the poll) had a bearing problem. :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I replaced both front at 20k miles. Been ok since. The dealer didn't seem surprised at all. I think it's very common. Inferior bearing ? Bad design? who knows :8:

·
Registered
40 Posts
We did ours today. Both wheel bearings , left and right front, were replaced. We have an 08 with 32000 miles. Thought it was the tires but after discount tire changed out three sets due to noise we gave up on the tires. Wish I had this checked earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had wheel bearings replaced on the front driver side in my 2009 MDX with 38k miles. I suspect the problem began at about 30k, but I was slow to believe my wife that there was a problem. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
right front done on my 07 elite 123,000km

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having both the "bearing noise" and the power steering problems Decaf is describing. My '08 is at 60k, but the issues showed up while still under warranty. Dealer couldn't recreate the steering pump, and said the road noise was from the tires (Cooper at the time).

Now have the OEM Mich's on, and the noise didn't reduce much. Worse when turning left. Pump stopped making noise, but often gives no assist now when at idle.

After reading about similar experiences, I'm taking it back shortly for re-evaluation. When they try and charge me a fortune, hopefully the record of having it in prior will offset the cost...

·
Registered
104 Posts
RF just replaced on my 07 Sport right at 70k warranty limit. Dealer was good about it. No complaints about the car or dealer. Both are so much better than most. If you've never owned a GM or Chrysler then you don't what how terrible a car or dealer can be.

·
Registered
2008 Acura MDX Sport
102 Posts
Bearing part number is 44300-STX-A01. Retail is $98.65.

Remember the wheel bearing is part of the Powertrain Warranty and is 6 years/70,000 miles, not the regular 4 year/50,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
09 MDX, only notice a noise around 60-65mph at FR. i only notice it after change to winter tire, but i was not paying much attention before. now reading this thread i would do some turning test.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts