Votes: 39 43.3%
  • No - I have not had to replace a Wheel Bearing

Votes: 51 56.7%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for months now, I've had a noise on my X that has gotten louder and louder. I thought it was my tires...Continental Cross Contact LX's that have a 65,000 tread life warranty but are worn almost to the wear bars (evenly) in under 25,000 miles. :3: So between that and what a tire tech had said to me, I assumed it was tires.

But yesterday I was on a higher speed road (50 MPH limit) and took a couple of turns at speed (I should say my wife drives the X, so I'm not in it but a couple of times / week or on long highway trips). I noticed that when I took the turns to the left and loaded up the right side of the car, the noise got louder. And in harder left turns when the right side was unloaded, the noise got quieter.

Tell tale sign of wheel bearing failure.

I'm going to bring the car in next week. The car is also having a power steering groan issue where at low speed or stopped, the pump makes noise, even though the reservoir is full.

I searched and found a couple of bearing threads, but didn't really get a sense of how pervasive the problem was. So I wanted to start a thread to see how many people have had wheel bearing issues.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not on my 07 tech, but hey they might have done it prior that i purchased it used who knows...?

·
Registered
127 Posts
So, for months now, I've had a noise on my X that has gotten louder and louder. I thought it was my tires...Continental Cross Contact LX's that have a 65,000 tread life warranty but are worn almost to the wear bars (evenly) in under 25,000 miles. :3: So between that and what a tire tech had said to me, I assumed it was tires.

But yesterday I was on a higher speed road (50 MPH limit) and took a couple of turns at speed (I should say my wife drives the X, so I'm not in it but a couple of times / week or on long highway trips). I noticed that when I took the turns to the left and loaded up the right side of the car, the noise got louder. And in harder left turns when the right side was unloaded, the noise got quieter.

Tell tale sign of wheel bearing failure.

I'm going to bring the car in next week. The car is also having a power steering groan issue where at low speed or stopped, the pump makes noise, even though the reservoir is full.

I searched and found a couple of bearing threads, but didn't really get a sense of how pervasive the problem was. So I wanted to start a thread to see how many people have had wheel bearing issues.
I also suspect a RF wheel bearing. Have you had yours checked out?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have very loud tires and I suspect that it may be the wheel bearings.

What is the replacement cost?

·
Registered
69 Posts
25k on tires not too bad. Don't ever expect 65k, unless you only drive straight, slower than 35 mph, and the engine speed never exceeds 2000 rpm. But I digress... good luck on fixing noise!

-BD

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
One of the key attributes of wheel bearing noise is the worsening w/ time. They get loud and before seizing will literally howl. It takes someone nearly deaf to miss a failing wheel bearing.

I had a wheel bearing start to go on a long trip while driving a BMW 318is. By the time I got home (2000 miles), I couldn't wait to get my hands on that wheel bearing. The silence after the repair was so satisfying!

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't realize this was a common problem with MDX. Our '08 has been flawless since new (knock on wood). In fact, it's been so good that we bought out the lease. Dealing with wheel bearing issues is no fun. BTDT with our old FX45.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I didn't realize this was a common problem with MDX. Our '08 has been flawless since new (knock on wood). In fact, it's been so good that we bought out the lease. Dealing with wheel bearing issues is no fun. BTDT with our old FX45.
While this is a problem for some as noted above, I doubt this is a common problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope you're right. I don't want to add to the "potential problem list". I am already concerned about the transmission.....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Remember this is a small sliver of MDX drivers that post to this forum and those with problems generally share them so I would say what is posted here does not in all cases reflect the overall populations of MDX. Transmission problems were primarily with the 01-02 years (I have an 02). Overall there is very little to worry about with Acrua / MDX.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Needsdecaf,

I thought I recognized your username from SwedeSpeed. We just bought my wife a 2008 MDX w/ 35k miles (the V70R is mine now!) a week ago because we have #2 on the way. She says the car is making a "noises" in low-speed left hand turns. I have yet to take the car out for test drive, but I am guessing that the wheel bearing(s) may be going out. It may be time to "exercise" the warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
noise at 40-45

Ok so I am reading up on the wheel bearings and want to present my case- I have 45000 miles on 2008 MDX

About 1 month ago- I noticed the following- going to a speed of 45 mph and then taking foot off the gas for 1-2 seconds and then bringing it back up to 45MPH- speed limit felt a funny humming vibration noise- like the nosie you would hear when you put a tuning fork on a table after hitting it- it seemed to gently reverberate into the sheet metal of the car- I also felt a small vibration in the gas pedal-

Then It got worse and took car in for service- they indicated that this was the torque converter- so that was replaced and the strong vibration did go away but the original vibration sound is still there- they drove it yesterday with me- the first tech did feel this but the master tech drove it later when I had to leave and said it was normal- funny this did not happen for the first 44000 miles- I will be bringing car back in as there is a service bulletin on a squeaky belt noise that they have to order special parts-

So this Am I notice the same vibratory noise but it is especially noticeable when the car goes to 45 - drop down to 40 and slowly increasing speed to 45 - but I also watched the RPMs and this was more pronounced when RPM was at 15 x 1000- got better if it went over 20,000 and into a newer gear-

ANY IDEAS?

orlando, fl

·
Registered
3 Posts
40K Replaced

I just got mine replaced, Passenger side. 2008 with 40K miles. From my experience, noise from the tires are pretty consistent, the wheel bearings weren't. Also, like someone else mentioned, when you turn if you hear the noise louder or go away that's a sign too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2008 MDX with 68000 miles. Had a vibration starting at 65mph, worse at 70-75mph. I would veer left and it would get worse and veer right it would go away. I replaced front left cv axle with Honda reman and also bearing hub...didn't fix it. Replaced right bearing hub. So, both front bearing hubs have been replaced at 68k

No support from Acura!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts