Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Acura the MDX is rated at 17 city and 23 highway and has 19.2 gallon tank. Assuming you can probably only get about 18 gallons in your tank when its empty that would put it between ~300 miles city and 400 miles highway. I'm just curious what others are seeing preferrably on MDX's that are fully broken in with over 5K miles.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Miles per tank of gas.

I'm almost at the 5k threshold.

I get between 350 and 375 Miles per tank of gas.

My highway driving is somewhat limited, due to my city street commute, otherwise I'd probably get ~400 Miles per tank.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have almost 5000 miles on my MDX and I still am using the same tank that originally came with my X.:2:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
BaldEagle said:
I have almost 5000 miles on my MDX and I still am using the same tank that origianally came with my X.:2:
Cute..:D

How about "tanks of gas?"

·
Registered
359 Posts
It depends:
When I fill up from driving around town, I'm at aabout 300. WHen it's from freeway it's over 400. The highest I've seen was around 465:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is a great topic. I've had a discussion with my service manager and salesman regarding my mileage per tank. I cannot get more than 265 miles per tank. I always fill up just after the warning light comes on with a consistent 16.4 gallons of 93 octane. I have noticed a little better mileage since I switched to Chevron gasoline, otherwise I'm stunned at how poor my mileage per tank has been. Furthermore, I think I've only gotten into the Vtec a few times, unlike my NSX where I'm always shifting in Vtec or at redline.

So far the only logical answer that I've gotten from the service department is that if your drives average under 5 miles, then your mileage will be signifcantly worse than long highway drives. I'm going to continue keeping a log of gallons and miles per tank, hopefully my dealer will be able to do some trouble shooting through the computer.

-Doc

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Drive with a lead foot

I tend to accelerate like the 1/4 drag strip from light to light and get 270-300 miles per tank. My gas mileage is 12-14 miles per gallon around town, highways I go into the 20's. I'm very happy overall.

:eek: :2: :4: :5: :18: :20:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just curious about...........

What most of you are paying in other parts of the country to fill the tank?

Out here in the SF Bay Area I pay on average $1.80/gal for
Premium. And then it seems to go up even more when there's either an accident at a local refinery or when the holiday driving seasons are near.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Filled up last night with 93 octane premium for $1.34. In all fairness, several stations in our area have a special of premium at same price as mid-grade one day per week. Yesterday was one of the days. The closest station to my house is Exxon and their regualr price for premium is $1.50. All figures are rounded up to not show the $.009 tax.

·
Registered
671 Posts
AcuraDoc said:
This is a great topic. I've had a discussion with my service manager and salesman regarding my mileage per tank. I cannot get more than 265 miles per tank. I always fill up just after the warning light comes on with a consistent 16.4 gallons of 93 octane. I have noticed a little better mileage since I switched to Chevron gasoline, otherwise I'm stunned at how poor my mileage per tank has been. Furthermore, I think I've only gotten into the Vtec a few times, unlike my NSX where I'm always shifting in Vtec or at redline.

So far the only logical answer that I've gotten from the service department is that if your drives average under 5 miles, then your mileage will be signifcantly worse than long highway drives. I'm going to continue keeping a log of gallons and miles per tank, hopefully my dealer will be able to do some trouble shooting through the computer.

-Doc
Wow, that's only about 16 mpg! I know I get more like 17 or 18 around town which is most of my driving. I'd be curious as to your average speed -- check your distance and time indicators and see what your average speed comes out to. Mine is usually around 33 mph eventhough my commute is on streets that are 45-50 mph (I must sit around at red lights alot!)

·
Registered
117 Posts
fact or fiction ?

I've heard that a new car shouldn't be driven more than 60 mph for the first few hundred miles. Is this fact or fiction?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: fact or fiction ?

nm2 said:
I've heard that a new car shouldn't be driven more than 60 mph for the first few hundred miles. Is this fact or fiction?:rolleyes:
In my opinion, I feel the SUV or car should be broken in for the first 1000 miles under 55 mph and varing the rpm's also. This is to ensure the engine breaks in with the internal break in lube from the factory. I did the same when I built my own engine for my own car. When assembling the engine break-in lube is applied to different components, which requires a low speed and different rpm's to break in. If you would go above 55 mph, the break-in lube would not be able to do it's job. The higher rpms would destroy the lube and defeat the purpose of it. I own the vehicle and would rather be SAFE than SORRY at a later time.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: fact or fiction ?

nm2 said:
Depends on the car; always follow the owners manual! Acura places no such restrictions on the MDX.
Acura does however caution against rapid/hard accelerations for the first few hundred miles (I do not recall the exact milage), but all breakin cautions are no more than 600 miles.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Miles per tank of gas

We average low 300s in the city and low 400s on the highway.
Or you could say ~ 16-17 mpg in the city and ~ 22-23 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
paul123 wrote:
Drive with a lead foot
I tend to accelerate like the 1/4 drag strip from light to light and get 270-300 miles per tank. My gas mileage is 12-14 miles per gallon around town, highways I go into the 20's. I'm very happy overall.
Assuming 13 mpg in the city and a fill-up after using 18 gals [leaves a little over 1 gal], a "tank" would only provide 234 miles.

Assuming 13 mpg in the city, to get 270 miles on the tank, you'd need a tank that held 20.77 gals if you ran it dry, 21.77 if you wanted to have a reserve of 1 gal.

Looks like there is a boo boo in the tank calcs.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Inspite of my disagreement with paul123 re "total miles to the tank", our mpg experience is virtually identical to that expressed by paul123:

City: 12-14 mpg [usually in the 12-13 range].

Highway: Low 20s [20-21.5 mpg].

Note: Our calcs are based on actual miles driven [odometer] and gallons of gas used [gas pump]. We have found that the trip computer reads somewhat higher [anywhere from 0.2 mpg to 0.8 mpg].

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
srpbep said:

Assuming 13 mpg in the city and a fill-up after using 18 gals [leaves a little over 1 gal], a "tank" would only provide 234 miles.

Assuming 13 mpg in the city, to get 270 miles on the tank, you'd need a tank that held 20.77 gals if you ran it dry, 21.77 if you wanted to have a reserve of 1 gal.

Looks like there is a boo boo in the tank calcs.
You're probably right, my dash always starts off between 270-300 when I fill up. I always forget to look at the actual mileage before I fill up. You're probably right in saying I'm getting 230-240 actual miles. Thanks for the correction, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some lead footers out there...

I get;

18-20 in the city

22-25 on the h-way

i got about 2700 miles on her so far. That dash computer really keeps me conscious of my consumption.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts