Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a point of diminishing returns with Zaino? I've put on 2 coats of Z5 and 5 coats of Z2 since last weekend and it just gets better looking with each coat. I've been using ZFX with each coat and the drying time is 30-60 minutes or less in 40-50 degree temps in both sunny and wet weather, while in the garage.

Unfortunately, the temps will not be cooperating in the next few days here with night time temps do to be in the teens and days in the 30's. Maybe, on Sunday I can hit it with another couple of coats on. It gets very addicting.

Curious how many coats is everyone putting on their X?

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes - as far as the shine increase goes - there is a point where the increase is negligable

the protection continues to increase though - since you are layering . .

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
accmdx said:
Curious how many coats is everyone putting on their X?
As many as TheWife will let me :) I've started doing an evening coat on (it's garaged) then buff'n'z6 in the morning before she heads out. Now I only get in trouble for the towel-load in the laundry!

Diminishing returns? Somewhere around 10 coats, I seem to recall. I have a couple-dozen on now. Looks better than ever -- unfortunately, it's overcast so no new pics this week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ACCMDX Your MDX must be lookin real good with all thoses coats of Zaino. I only have 5 coats of Z2 and was planning on only 1 more but the WORM suggested 10 coats to max out the shine. I might try to get that many if the wife doesn't complain too much that I'm spending to much time in the garage with my MDX and not enough time with her!

Off topic. ACCMDX I noticed that you have the Joshua Tree Wood Trim. How hard was it to install and how is it standing up. Any lifting of the pieces from temperature changes. I'm thinking about ordering the kit and installing some of the pieces but not all. Any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wlind,

Joshua tree door wood trim was very easy to install. All you had to do was leave it on the dash for ten minutes in the sun and it became quite pliable. I've had no problem with lifting and it's a major improvement in looks. I always thought the lower door was too much "plasticky" looking. This breaks it up well. I really noticed it before with the saddle interior.

I guess I also have a few more coats of Zaino to go. I remember reading somewhere on LS1.com that someone had in excess of 300 coats on theirs. I guess I'll quit around 10 at least for now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
THANKS ACCMDX

Thanks for the info on the wood trim. I will order it this weekend.

I'm going to the NY Auto Show tomorrow with the family to check out all the new vehicles and and the Honda Pilot. After seeing pictures of it, I'm so glad I didn't wait before I ordered the MDX. The MDX is so much better looking and nicer interior than the Pilot, IMHO. No zaino this weekend, maybe next.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been using Zaino for the past year with about 10-15 coats already applied. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Do you need to periodically (annually?) wash with Dawn and start the process over (clay-bar, etc) to avoid a build-up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
715 Posts
RTK....you kinda WANT a build-up! :D

I also am at 14 coats since I started Z back in Sept. Keep in mind that the stuff does wear off over time......like any "wax".....all paint protection systems begin to deteriorate.

The rate of deterioration depends on many factors, including the chemicals used, bonding qualities, weather, washing, environmentals and use of the car.........however, the more layers you put on the longer it will last.

No, you don't have to "strip" it off every year, just keep applying it. Use of the claybar (lubricating it with diluted Z7 as recommended) will not hurt what you have done. Just be sure to wash with Z7 and reapply your Z2 or Z5 and Z6 afterward.

·
Registered
128 Posts
accmdx said:
I remember reading somewhere on LS1.com that someone had in excess of 300 coats on theirs. I guess I'll quit around 10 at least for now.
That was Sean, in Florida on a Navy Blue Metallic Ram air. Did you ever see a picture of that car - it was spectacular. he doesnt have it any longer - but given enough time - Im sure he'll get the new one up there too

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Orange Peel

I bet the Zaino would look even more awesome if it weren't for the dimpled orange peel paint effect. I've just completed my eighth coat of Z2 in a week and half and it shines like never before. I only want to drive it on nice days now.

If I look closely, I think I can even detect slight orange peel on the hood now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts