Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this car used... 2004 MDX touring with Nav, Bose, and RES.

Having some buyers remorse because I didn't look into it further beforehand.

I was planning on ripping out the stereo and throwing a new double din unit into it, but the AC controls, trip computer, etc is built into the useless dinosaur nav unit. So I'll probably just use it as is, maybe upgrade the speakers and add a Bluetooth module.

Anyway, I gave a 6 disc changer in the dash under the stereo... And I just found ANOTHER one under the driver's seat. Why?!. I'd like to just ditch them both and use the dash spot to store... Whatever. What goes there in cars that don't have the changer?

·
Premium Member
2004 Acura MDX Touring w/ RES & NAV
574 Posts
Wait...I have the same 04’ Nav w/ RES. The bottom DVD unit is a multiplayer???
I’m not joking? Seriously?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, now you have me questioning... I thought the bottom thing in the dash said CD changer, but maybe it's just a DVD player? I guess I'll have to investigate.

Still. There are 4 separate places you can insert a disc in this car if you count the nav control unit under the passenger seat... seems insane.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This was high tech and not unreasonable for early 2000. Under the seat is for the nav unit maps. If you have the RES the one at the bottom of the dash stack is the DVD player. And finally there is the 6 disc in the radio unit. I can't think of a 4th.

Back then solid state memory was too expensive for maps storage. And I can't think of any manufacturer back then that had a combined in dash CD changer DVD player, with automobile reliability and integration for external display ready to go. Developing one would have been fantastically expensive and only useful for their top trim options.

I don't think this is a reason to get buyer's remorse. You can leave the current nav display, pull out the in dash radio and replace it with a modern radio with display like a cheap Chinese Android unit or whatever you like. Several people have done this. You just put a resistor across the CANBUS line to retain the other display.

I believe the DVD player can stay. I don't even notice that one, and mine is broken anyway. But if you really wanted to get fancy you could probably tear it out, put on a blanking plate to cover the hole, and integrate the RES screen to mirror your new radio display. But the resolution would be much worse than new displays.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2004 Acura MDX Touring w/ RES & NAV
574 Posts
Hahahahhaa!!! Yeah, the damn thing DOES have a lot of slots! Under the driver seat (is a multi disk/ cartridge changer (don’t know if you have that option or caught that one yet). Colin is right though, take out the radio and throw a nice double-din with Bluetooth and she good to go again. Bad part is if using it for GPS it would be a long gaze from road to almost ashtray position repeatedly. I did see one person on here who had the entire dash stack redone and had them somehow custom trim the main screen so it was above the DVD at the bottom and had the vents in the middle and the double din radio at the top. Had to cost a nice bit but I can see the want for it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here is what it looked like without DVD for RES.

Not my car. Was just a cubby.

You should be able to take it out if not using RES. But you might need a different trim piece. Would have to look around and check on Acura parts site.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hum I have a 2006. Nothing under the driver's seat, just checked again because I thought maybe I got confused. Under passenger is nav maps drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was high tech and not unreasonable for early 2000. Under the seat is for the nav unit maps. If you have the RES the one at the bottom of the dash stack is the DVD player. And finally there is the 6 disc in the radio unit. I can't think of a 4th.

Back then solid state memory was too expensive for maps storage. And I can't think of any manufacturer back then that had a combined in dash CD changer DVD player, with automobile reliability and integration for external display ready to go. Developing one would have been fantastically expensive and only useful for their top trim options.

I don't think this is a reason to get buyer's remorse. You can leave the current nav display, pull out the in dash radio and replace it with a modern radio with display like a cheap Chinese Android unit or whatever you like. Several people have done this. You just put a resistor across the CANBUS line to retain the other display.

I believe the DVD player can stay. I don't even notice that one, and mine is broken anyway. But if you really wanted to get fancy you could probably tear it out, put on a blanking plate to cover the hole, and integrate the RES screen to mirror your new radio display. But the resolution would be much worse than new displays.

Yeah I guess If I think back to 2003 I was still rolling around with a binder full of CDs in my car...

But I think it also must have been around then I got an iPod with a 30gb hard drive, and a slick alpine head unit that could control it and display the artwork and info in full color on a little screen built right into it. But I guess car manufacturers are always a few years behind on all the tech stuff. At least they were back then... It still has a tape player. I don't think that had been a must have feature since the early 90s.

I was also counting the CD player in the radio itself for 4.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine the 6 disc changer is integrated into the radio and I don't have anything under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year is that?

Edit, NVM I see you said 06 earlier. And thanks for the pic of the empty space... I want that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was planning on ripping out the stereo and throwing a new double din unit into it, but the AC controls, trip computer, etc is built into the useless dinosaur nav unit. So I'll probably just use it as is, maybe upgrade the speakers and add a Bluetooth module.
I replaced the head unit for a double din sony last year. You need to add a 70 ohm resistor to a pink wire and a blue wire side by side in a white 14 pin connector that used to be on the factory deck. Then your nav and temp controls will work again. Worked great :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts