Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am wondering if anyone knows if the USB Port in the 2014 MDX Tech is USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0? After having ongoing charging issues with my Iphone and Acura telling me that cannot replicate the problem, I finally bought a device that measures how many amps and volts my USB port actually puts out. Now that I have actual data, I am trying to determine what the expectation should be. It is not listed in the owners manual anywhere. The USB Port in my husbands 2014 Honda Crosstour consistently puts out 1 amp and my MDX is no where near that. Trying to figure out, what it should be, so I can have yet another conversation with the dealer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm pretty sure the usb port on the MDX is less than an amp, probably around 600-800mah (500 is the typical minimum threshold).

That said, the latest generation of phones demand more power than just about any OEM usb port allows for, because oem USB ports are initially designed for data communication (music/audio) first, and charging is a byproduct, not designed in. fun fact, the usb port addition being 'made for ipod' is exactly that, for 'ipod' which is a very low amp draw in comparison to today's phones.

that said, what did your device tell you the output is? is that under load or just static measurement? (under load it'll drop a few hundred MAH).

Also, anyone with an android can download an app which will show you charging amperage for any port, i'd hope that exists for iphone

·
Registered
464 Posts
USB Port in MDX = 1.00 Amp

I took my iPad Air that was only 65% charged and plugged it into my 2014 MDX Advance USB Port in the console. Then I opened my iPad Battery AMP and clicked on "System" and it tells me that it was charging at 1.00 AMPs :frown2:. I tried it on the Cigarette plug USB Adapter and it was using 1.00 Amps. That may be different with different Cigarette Plug Adapters.
I have done this with all my different USB chargers in the house and found some at 1.00 amps, 2.10 amps, and some at 2.40 amps. I marked them all and now only use the 2.10 and 2.40 amp converters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah if you use the USB port you'll only get like a 5% charge after an hour lol. Best to buy one of those anker or other quick charging cigarette lighter port adapters and plug it into there. Sometimes I'll forget to charge my phone battery at night yet charge it in the car on the commute to work and get a good 70% of power in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ironic thing is I had a walk down of my car in with the District Service & Parts Manager for Acura and he saw the cigarette lighter adapter and said, you shouldn't use that, it can actually send shorts back to the car. I say, I have only used it, because my USB outlet has not worked for 6 months and you haven't fixed it.

My USB port did finally get fixed. It was only putting out .09 amps of power. Enough to charge the Iphone 5 and Galaxy that the techs were trying, but not an Iphone 6. It only got fixed after another 2014 MDX owner brought theirs in for the same complaint. They applied an update and discovered it fixed the problem. The update diverts more power to the USB port. Apparently the update has been available for months.

I asked if I have been complaining for 2 years about my navigation and car door handles and for 6 months about my USB, why hasn't every update available been applied to my car? They had no answer.

I asked the same question of the that District Manager in small claims court yesterday. His response was they did apply it at some point, but it looks like the battery on the tech's device that applies the update died mid-stream, so he had no idea it didn't finish. WTF...

Acura stood in court yesterday and said that they have complied with warranty under the law and shouldn't be subjected to a claim under the law. The Clerk Magistrate said that is true, but at what point do you fail to meet the contract terms of warranty and someone is owed compensation for that. Their is lost value in their car for its inability to perform as described. It would be one thing if she brought you the car and each time you fixed it, but at what point has it become a nuisance and 13 trips is excessive.

I told the court that one time, I had to drive an hour back to the dealership, tell them I was there to test drive a car. I got the exact same model and trim of car, and promptly drove it into the service bay and showed them that this car works the way I keep telling you mine should and you keep saying it is a misprint in the manual. Another time, I had to drive the hour back to the dealership because they did something to my car and then only reprogrammed one of our 2 keys, so my husband was stranded when he tried to leave the house 8 days after it was serviced.

I pointed out the the judge that they had my car for 12 days in May in this last, ultimate attempt to fix my door locks, USB and Nav issues, because they were "committed to fixing this, so I could withdraw my claim." In 2 weeks, it was driven 3 miles. I asked the District Manager if that 3 miles was while he was checking my car out and he said probably. I asked how they tried to diagnose my door lock/handle issues that they have not been able to replicate for almost two years (which I show them new videos of it happening every time I bring it in for something else). His response was, "It is an entry issue, so every day for 12 days a tech went out and the car opened fine, he tested the entry." I said "yes, so if the problem is intermittent, perhaps there is a wire that pops in and out as it goes over road bumps and vibrates. Sometimes the wire is when I park and I have no issues, and other times it is out, so I can't lock my car with the door handle and unlock it the next time I approach the car to leave. Don't you think in attempt to replicate the issue, that in 12 days, the car should have been driven some to replicate real world usage and then see if the problem occurs, rather then letting sit on the lot for 12 days."

In the two weeks they did undo the entire door lock system and put it back together, just in case something had come loose. My car worked as it should for an entire week. Then I used the Acura app to let someone into my car when I didn't have my keys and the problems started again, the very next time I tried to open the car, the door handle sensor would not unlock it. I called Acura and asked them if they wanted to look at it again (still 2 weeks before court date) now that there was a new piece of information. They got back to me 3 days later and said they couldn't because the District Manager was on vacation until 2 days ago. The court asks him if this is true and he says, I don't think they would have told her she couldn't bring it in for a warranty claim because I was on vacation. I said, how else would I have know you were on vacation unless that was the response I got.

Also told the court that when my windows wouldn't go down Acura told me it was the polar vortex. Again District Manager says, I don't think dealership would tell her that. I showed him on the service record where they recorded as the solution that the windows would not go down due to freezing temperatures, so to warm the car up longer before I drove it. I asked them why none of the other 14 MDXs on the lot had issues with the polar vortex and they could not explain to me. The polar vortex doesn't just exist over my car and all the other cars are warmer. Their windows worked fine. I had also been complaining that my windshield would get frost on the inside in the middle of the day. I thought that somehow moisture was getting in my car causing the windshield issue and power window freezing, for which they said, sorry we cannot replicate.

9 months later, I went to my car in my garage one morning, to find a massive fracture in my windshield. The company that replaced it asked me if my car insurance was full coverage, so that I would not have to pay for the replacement. I said "Yes, why?" The installer said, "If you didn't I would recommend that you go after Acura for the cost of replacing the windshield. This is not breakage caused by an impact, there is not starburst crack. This is a stress fracture because your windshield is not seated correctly in the frame. It was not installed correctly when it was manufactured." 3 months later when winter set in and the Polar Vortex occurred again and we had winter even colder then the previous one, my windows worked fine and my windshield did not get frost inside it anymore.

I anxiously await to see if a court agrees that although Acura has never charged me or denied servicing my car, that they have failed to provide an adequate level of service to comply with contract of the warranty that came with the purchase of my car.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ What damages are you seeking - invoking the Lemon law or some other type of compensation?

he saw the cigarette lighter adapter and said, you shouldn't use that, it can actually send shorts back to the car. I say, I have only used it, because my USB outlet has not worked for 6 months and you haven't fixed it.
Anything plugged into either the 12v outlet or the USB could cause a short. That's always a potential issue for any outlet (any outlet anywhere - including your laptop, AC outlets in your home, etc.) but of course, there's no value to the outlets other than to be able to plug something into them. That's why they're there to begin with - to permit you to plug something into them. The vehicle has fuses to prevent damage in the event something plugged into an outlet shorts. It was a pretty silly statement for that manager to make and illustrates a woeful lack of knowledge of a vehicle or basic electronics (not that I would expect the latter).

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
^ I hope she gets a new Car.. That is just ridiculous..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am seeking $7000 plus $150 max in court costs. Acura offered be $1000 before the court date. They offered me $1500 plus actually replacing the components involved with the door unlocking system in mediation right before the case was heard. I told them to go pound sand. They should have offered those things long before j had to take another 1/2 day off from work to deal with this car.

I cannot sue under my state's lemon law because it I not a safety issue, my FOBs still work fine. It is hard to prove this reduces the value of my car by 10%.

I was suing in small claims court. I am claiming that they are failing to comply with warranty by shear incompetence they have displayed in the many crazy excuses I have been given for my car not working rather then attempted fixes.

$7000 is the max in my state for small claims.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am seeking $7000 plus $150 max in court costs. Acura offered be $1000 before the court date. They offered me $1500 plus actually replacing the components involved with the door unlocking system in mediation right before the case was heard. I told them to go pound sand. They should have offered those things long before j had to take another 1/2 day off from work to deal with this car.

I cannot sue under my state's lemon law because it I not a safety issue, my FOBs still work fine. It is hard to prove this reduces the value of my car by 10%.

I was suing in small claims court. I am claiming that they are failing to comply with warranty by shear incompetence they have displayed in the many crazy excuses I have been given for my car not working rather then attempted fixes.

$7000 is the max in my state for small claims.
argh....
fight! fight! fight it!!!!!

screw the corporations.

that is all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won!!! Just logged on to check status of the case. Court found in my favor and awarded me $5000 in damages, plus interest and court costs.

We are saying good bye to our MDX and hello to a loaded Toyota Highlander. No more 1.5 hour trips to the dealer. Here's to
door locks and a navigation system that works.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Congratulations!! Any indication for the reduction of award from$7k to $5k? Also may i ask where you are located (state or province)? Precedence would be a good reminder to future case managers who piss us off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The judge asks how you arrived at your damages. I told him I thought my car functions at a trim level below which is about $5k. Then time spent and miles to dealership (which is harder to prove under warranty law).

He was really focused on that $5k number and asked about it several times. I got home that night and told my husband, I was optomistic. I thought Acura only looked worse when I questioned how and why things were done to my car. I thought judge would award $5000.

I am in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Ah that makes sense. Judges have to understand how the damages are quantified and identifying the lower trim makes sense when its specific features to your trim that do not function. Not knowing what trim you have, I'm assuming you're in a Tech and the things that don't work [properly] make it equivalent to a Base. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly, I had a tech and have struggled with Nav systems and touch handle locks almost since the day I bought it, along with a host of other issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts