Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator on my 07 finally failed with 183k miles. Luckily, my local independent Honda tech is replacing with a reman Denso with a 3yr warranty; for $345.18 out-the-door parts & labor.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
It's pretty rare to replace an alternator on these or most other Japanese cares. As you can tell by the replacement price, they use a quality part. They're a solid $100-$150 more than an off-brand. If you plan to keep the car a long time, it's probably a good idea to go with the OEM part.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The alternator I got is OEM...It was purchased from the Honda dealer. Crazy thing is, the "reman" has a 3yr warranty vs the new having a 1yr warranty. Don't quite understand that part.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The alternator I got is OEM...It was purchased from the Honda dealer. Crazy thing is, the "reman" has a 3yr warranty vs the new having a 1yr warranty. Don't quite understand that part.

There's probably more mark up for Honda on the reman, so they use the extra warranty as a marketing tool. Plus, some folks are weary of reman parts so the warranty calms some of that. Warranty claims on these are probably non-existent whether 1 year or 3.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
have you tried to repair the old one? i remember most of the time, you just need to replace that brush for it to work again. other than that, there aren't anything to break down in an alternator. please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you tried to repair the old one? i remember most of the time, you just need to replace that brush for it to work again. other than that, there aren't anything to break down in an alternator. please correct me if i am wrong.

No I didn't try to repair it, just replaced it. You are correct about the brushes... I replaced brushes like 3 times on my older Accords. In this case the stator went bad and made an loud screeching sound. Happy to report the new one is charging like a bull.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just had to replace mine myself while on vacation at the beach in north carolina. Luckily Advance had a reman for $183.99 ($202 after tax) in stock. $55 in tools at wally world and a couple hours fighting with it in the driveway of the beach house sweating up a storm and donating a couple pints of blood to the local skeeters, I had it changed out.

Two weeks ago the X started making a slight whine that would come and go and would sometimes get louder as you revved the engine in gear or in Park. Right before vacation it was steady but no other symptoms. I changed oil and did the tranny drain and fill 3x before the trip but crossed my fingers on the whine. The next to the last full day at the beach, it finally gave out and the battery light came on. Had the battery and alternator tested at Advance for free and they confirmed the Alternator was done for.

Hardest part was getting the old alternator out. Was a little chore getting the bolts broke loose and then on the opposite end, getting the bottom flange of the new alternator lined up and pushed back into place so I could tighten her up. Also was a little pain lining up the top side mounting bracket but fought through it.

Had to pull up the coolant overflow and power steering fluid reservoirs and move them to the side to fish the old alternator out. Enough play in the hoses to accomplish both. Tips on the forum here helped a lot. Made a diagram so I didn't forget the serpentine belt routing before I removed it.

Had Advance bench test the reman the night I bought it before I put it in. Been there and done that with a couple starters.....

Local shop down there quoted $377 out the door for their parts/labor but I called Friday @ 4pm and they couldn't get to it until Monday AM. They weren't open on Saturdays and our rental house was up 10 am on Sunday.
Got er done anyhow...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had to replace mine myself while on vacation at the beach in north carolina. Luckily Advance had a reman for $183.99 ($202 after tax) in stock. $55 in tools at wally world and a couple hours fighting with it in the driveway of the beach house sweating up a storm and donating a couple pints of blood to the local skeeters, I had it changed out.

Two weeks ago the X started making a slight whine that would come and go and would sometimes get louder as you revved the engine in gear or in Park. Right before vacation it was steady but no other symptoms. I changed oil and did the tranny drain and fill 3x before the trip but crossed my fingers on the whine. The next to the last full day at the beach, it finally gave out and the battery light came on. Had the battery and alternator tested at Advance for free and they confirmed the Alternator was done for.

Hardest part was getting the old alternator out. Was a little chore getting the bolts broke loose and then on the opposite end, getting the bottom flange of the new alternator lined up and pushed back into place so I could tighten her up. Also was a little pain lining up the top side mounting bracket but fought through it.

Had to pull up the coolant overflow and power steering fluid reservoirs and move them to the side to fish the old alternator out. Enough play in the hoses to accomplish both. Tips on the forum here helped a lot. Made a diagram so I didn't forget the serpentine belt routing before I removed it.

Had Advance bench test the reman the night I bought it before I put it in. Been there and done that with a couple starters.....

Local shop down there quoted $377 out the door for their parts/labor but I called Friday @ 4pm and they couldn't get to it until Monday AM. They weren't open on Saturdays and our rental house was up 10 am on Sunday.
Got er done anyhow...

All the admiration to you sir for your accomplishment. I myself, took a look at that removal and passed on it! I completely understand your predicament while on vacation...did what had to be done.

You described to a "t" the exact symptoms I had too. The intermittent whine that came and went. Did you at first suspect tranny noise? I did.

Not sure if that's why you did the 3 flush on your tranny due to that whine? Just curious.

Lastly, I've never had good luck on "parts house" parts. I just bought a reman Denso from Honda.

·
Registered
121 Posts

All the admiration to you sir for your accomplishment. I myself, took a look at that removal and passed on it! I completely understand your predicament while on vacation...did what had to be done.

You described to a "t" the exact symptoms I had too. The intermittent whine that came and went. Did you at first suspect tranny noise? I did.

Not sure if that's why you did the 3 flush on your tranny due to that whine? Just curious.

Lastly, I've never had good luck on "parts house" parts. I just bought a reman Denso from Honda.
No, I didn't suspect tranny with the whine. I could tell it was coming from up front and since it did it while revving in park, I thought it could be a bearing in a pulley or something. Just couldn't figure it out. Battery light came on and when we revved the X at Advance with the scanner on, the juice jumped from 12.5 V up to 12.7 or 12.8 V but, I wasn't risking it on a 10 hr drive. I was mainly on battery juice at that point. I could have bought a spare battery or two to get me home but that would have been a little silly (not that I didn't think about it!)

I did the tranny drain/fill just because it was past due (changed it @ 76k right after we bought it but that was the only time I changed it) and we were going on a long trip in hot weather with a fully loaded down vehicle (5 people, car top carrier loaded to the brim, trunk area loaded to the roof and a bike rack with 4 bikes). We looked like the Grizwalds rolling down the highway and after 2 trips to the ER while at the beach and the alternator going, I kind of felt like I was in a movie!

I have my fingers crossed now with the re man from Advance. That is one reason why I had them bench test it first. Went through 2 reman starters before I got one that worked but, I can replace that sucker in 15 mins. or less, now.

If I have to do the alternator again, I can probably get it done in less than an hour in my garage with all the proper tools.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i wish you have had the chance to take some pictures ...
But it would also be helpful if you can point us to some youtube video on the best way to get it done on 2nd gen mdx. Seeing a lot of old cars have alternator problem, i think i'd better to learn how to deal with it now.

No, I didn't suspect tranny with the whine. I could tell it was coming from up front and since it did it while revving in park, I thought it could be a bearing in a pulley or something. Just couldn't figure it out. Battery light came on and when we revved the X at Advance with the scanner on, the juice jumped from 12.5 V up to 12.7 or 12.8 V but, I wasn't risking it on a 10 hr drive. I was mainly on battery juice at that point. I could have bought a spare battery or two to get me home but that would have been a little silly (not that I didn't think about it!)

I did the tranny drain/fill just because it was past due (changed it @ 76k right after we bought it but that was the only time I changed it) and we were going on a long trip in hot weather with a fully loaded down vehicle (5 people, car top carrier loaded to the brim, trunk area loaded to the roof and a bike rack with 4 bikes). We looked like the Grizwalds rolling down the highway and after 2 trips to the ER while at the beach and the alternator going, I kind of felt like I was in a movie!

I have my fingers crossed now with the re man from Advance. That is one reason why I had them bench test it first. Went through 2 reman starters before I got one that worked but, I can replace that sucker in 15 mins. or less, now.

If I have to do the alternator again, I can probably get it done in less than an hour in my garage with all the proper tools.

·
Registered
121 Posts

i wish you have had the chance to take some pictures ...
But it would also be helpful if you can point us to some youtube video on the best way to get it done on 2nd gen mdx. Seeing a lot of old cars have alternator problem, i think i'd better to learn how to deal with it now.
Sorry, mine is a first gen, '06. Not sure what differences there are b/w that and the 2nd Gen.

I couldn't find any youtube vids for mine and just went off of descriptions/instructions on this site.

Only vids I could see were from Acura TLs and a Honda Pilot.

Does the 2nd gen have the 3.5 L in it? Should be pretty similar if it does.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not an MDX, but an Odyssey. The alternator died at about 65K [9yrs old]. Total about $950, part and labor. The alternator was $400. The service guy said it is new, not a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention, the cost also included the serpentine belt. That shouldn't be extra labor rate since the belt was going off when removing the alternator. I heard it is difficult to remove Odyssey alternator because of limited space. Some DIYers had to remove the radiator, or loosen the radiator and power steering reservoir plus removing one pulley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had to replace mine myself while on vacation at the beach in north carolina.
Wow, if this doesn't sound familiar! My family just purchased a used '06 MDX about a month ago. To celebrate the occasion (and after getting my '07 Honda CRV stuck in the sand at the beach) we decided to take a day trip to OCMD the following day. Boy, had I known what I was in for, I would have decided not to go...

The night we bought the MDX, I noticed the headlights were "flashing" or "pulsing", that's the only way to describe it. I wish I had known this was a sign of your alternator going out.

3 hours into our 3.5 hour trip, I stopped at a red light. We had everything going, AC blasting (it was about 95 degrees that day...), XM radio free trial, kids watching a movie... I stop at this red light and everything goes dark. The all the gauges bottom out, things start going nuts. The RPM was showing 0, so I turned the engine off. Tried to turn it back on...Nothing... Click, click, click...

My wife flagged a nice gentleman down who was able to jump the engine and we limped about half a mile down the road to the nearest Walmart. Thankfully, there was also a PetSmart in the same shopping center, because the kids, wife and dogs hung out in the AC while I tried to get it working again. Another gentlemen tried jumping it again, and it would start and immediately quit.

We ended up buying a 150 foot extension cord, and a battery charger at WalMart and plugging it in at PetSmart to charge the battery enough to get it driving again. Another spot of luck put a "Pet Friendly Hotel", on the other side of the shopping center, where we stayed the night. (It was Sunday and all the shops were closed.)

The next morning, I went to a shop about another mile down the road that came highly recommended. For about 325 out the door, they replaced the alternator and we were back in business. Being that we were only 30 minutes from the beach, I sure as hell wasn't driving 3 hours back home without going, so we went. The MDX handled swimmingly on the beach, and I didn't even get 'er stuck. When it was all said and done, the used car dealer we purchased it from picked up the tab for the Alternator repair AND the hotel bill, which was very nice of them.

I will say one thing, which has me slightly worried. Since that incident, on the way home from the beach, it was nighttime, and I noticed that with the AC on, every time the compressor would kick on, my headlights would dim. Also, when I stepped on the brake, it would also dim the lights. The dealer said they put a brand new battery in before they sold it. I've heard it could be a weak battery from the alternator going out. Any ideas?

Added a pic...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think you can damage the battery plates when you drain it that far which, it sounds like yours was pretty drained.

I would go to Advance or Autozone and have them load test the battery for free. If it checks out as being bad/weak, I would contact the used car dealer again and ask for a new battery. Worst they could say was no and you'd go back to Advance (or Walmart) and spend the $80 or $90 for a new battery.

Easy to change it out yourself.

I have had good luck with Wal Mart brand Everstart batteries in my vehicles and with my boats/trolling motors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts