Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my MDX is already 12 years and I am going to replace the tires the 2nd time. But I am wondering whether I need to do something special to these TPMS sensors now. I am not sure how these sensors work, so really need some suggestions. Should I ask the tire shops to replace the batteries etc if they are replaceable? Also is there a sensors in the spare tire? Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I believe ours are not serviceable. You need to install a new set and reprogram the main controller.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If they are all still working, you can buy service parts (crush washer, new nut) just reuse them.

Can not replace the battery in them.
@PRGonzalez,
If the OP got all new replacements, they do not need reprogramming of the main controller.

I scooped up a set of Ridgline wheels a few years ago bought one new TPMS from the dealer and 3 used ebay TPMS. Installed them myself, then had Costco install the tires. Not one issue at all in three years.

Swap my own tires each season and never have to program the controller.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they easy to install? I checked RockAuto, each Denso sensor is about $28. I am not eager to spend $100 right here right now. It would be very nice if they can be installed w/o break the tire seal.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If they are all still working, you can buy service parts (crush washer, new nut) just reuse them.

Can not replace the battery in them.

@PRGonzalez,
If the OP got all new replacements, they do not need reprogramming of the main controller.

I scooped up a set of Ridgline wheels a few years ago bought one new TPMS from the dealer and 3 used ebay TPMS. Installed them myself, then had Costco install the tires. Not one issue at all in three years.

Swap my own tires each season and never have to program the controller.

Thanks for the info/confirmation !!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/32-1g-tires-wheels-suspensions/41410-tpms-operational-life-3.html

I googled awhile and it seems that a lot of owners don't have to replace any TPMS sensors after 140k miles. Given the sensor does not work when vehicle is stationary, maybe the battery life goes more with miles than age. Maybe I should have ask 'who has ever replaced TPMS sensors on 2nd MDX?

Another question that also comes up is about the 'rebuild valve stem' stuff that tire shops often charge for $4 a wheel and $16 a set. It seems that for our MDX the valve stem etc comes together with the sensor, there is no way for the tire shops to rebuild anything. Does it mean that they just grab money for nothing?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
But I am wondering whether I need to do something special to these TPMS sensors now.
Not unless they work fine for you.

I am not sure how these sensors work
They have a battery inside and a transmitter that transmits pressure data to a sensor located in your wheel well. TPMS sensors for 2nd gen do not need reprogramming at all. You can even replace the battery (although they are not meant to be replaced, but you can still do it if you really want to).

Also is there a sensors in the spare tire?
No.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still using original set of TPMS

I am the original owner of a 2007 MDX with 205k miles and I have yet to change the sensors. They all still function perfectly. Every set of tires has lasted at least 60k miles and I've never had extra charges to pay for the tire monitoring system. Maybe I've been lucky but it has never been an issue for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts