Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Haven't tried them myself (I use OEM parts almost exclusively), but judging from the price of $38 (even with no core surgarge!), whereas the OEM costs $160, so more than four times more, I'd say they are not really good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used Cardone calipers on my 300ZX for several years with no issues.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I used the Cardone rebuilts on many vehicles and had good luck with the single piston units. You will probably need to add proper grease (DOW 111) to the slide pins - they usually skimp on it.

BTW, don't ever use their rebuilts for Honda/Acura REAR calipers with the lever-actuated hand brake - most of them leak fluid.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the Cardone rebuilts on many vehicles and had good luck with the single piston units. You will probably need to add proper grease (DOW 111) to the slide pins - they usually skimp on it.

BTW, don't ever use their rebuilts for Honda/Acura REAR calipers with the lever-actuated hand brake - most of them leak fluid.

“BTW, don't ever use their rebuilts for Honda/Acura REAR calipers with the lever-actuated hand brake - most of them leak fluid.”

What do you mean? I am about to order the one is showing in the picture, part #19P2589 and it states remanufactured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
If it were me I’d only buy a caliper that I can see / touch before I buy it and can return it if I have issues. Do you have a local auto parts store you can check with. Prices should be about them same and they are all rebuilds. RockAuto charges shipping so it would be about the same - I am personally not a fan of RockAuto.

I have replaced a few calipers for other vehicles with auto parts store rebuilds and have never had a problem. Most, if not all rebuilds are OEM calipers that were rebuilt.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have used Cardone calipers and they are fine, but the "coating" only lasts a few weeks, before they start to rust and there is zero warranty for that.

Paint them, before you install them.
Buy some VHT Brake Caliper paint (from AutoZone), some painter's tape (from the big box lumber yard), and wipe them off with alcohol, before you paint them.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it were me I’d only buy a caliper that I can see / touch before I buy it and can return it if I have issues. Do you have a local auto parts store you can check with. Prices should be about them same and they are all rebuilds. RockAuto charges shipping so it would be about the same - I am personally not a fan of RockAuto.

I have replaced a few calipers for other vehicles with auto parts store rebuilds and have never had a problem. Most, if not all rebuilds are OEM calipers that were rebuilt.

Advance Auto Part sales WAGNER brand and the part # is 19-B2589 which is exactly the same as CARDONE part#. Both brand caliper looks identical. Looks likes advance auto parts rebranded it. The Wagner brand is $76+$55 core change. The cardone brand is $42+$59 core charge from rockauto. This particular part is referred as “friction choice” by cardone. Any idea what they meant?

·
Registered
87 Posts
As carpayment4life mentioned, paint specifically for brake calipers is a good idea if you care about the looks. See the attached pic of a virgin Cardone 300ZX aluminum rear caliper after 3 years.

I usually use VHT with rotor hats and it's fine with calipers on a street driven car. If you're up to it, powder coating looks awesome and will typically last longer, especially if you tend to heat them up a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to replace just the rear right caliper because it is stuck. I don’t want to paint it because i am not replacing the other old 3 calipers.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carpayment, these after market rebuild caliper coating rusts a lot faster than the OEM ones? Does the caliper paint come in metal color like the OEM?

·
Registered
86 Posts
@2011BlackUbmMDX: They are just fine. Do know that just because OEM costs more, does not mean it is a better quality. Honda does outsource a variety of stuff. It is like going to Autozone, paying for the Duralast line of products that are rebuilds..... same difference. :|

That said, I am partial to Centric brand. They are the folks who own StopTech. Quality products come out of them. I had an opportunity to change out the master cylinder and the packaging & fit were excellent.

As mentioned earlier, if you need to prevent oxidation, then paint them properly and then install them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes. Follow the directions on the can. The most important part for any paint application is prep.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It will last longer with a primer but it's not required. Primer gives a better surface for adhesion.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I did brake fluid change this past weekend. Here is my 12 year old Acura factory rear caliper. Does not look very exciting as well. If I have to replace rotors one day, probably will have to polish it a bit and paint it. What kind of tools are the best to clean up calipers? Will wire wheels too harsh? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, that would work. Just take your time. I usually use degreaser to start and move to wire brushes and sand paper.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just to be clear...
Newly rebuilt calipers, with a "coating" will still rust. I bought Cardone, because of their advertised "coating", but they still rusted.

Before you install them and before they begin to rust, tape off the rubber areas, wipe them with alcohol, and paint them with VHT Brake Caliper paint.
I don't know of any high temp paint primer nor clear coat, which won't melt or burn off. Just use the VHT.

If your calipers are already rusting, you have to do more prep work. If you use a drill with a wire wheel, you might nick the rubber and tear it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts