Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all... getting ready to do the dreaded power steering high pressure line replacement, and will be "kinda/sorta dropping the subframe" (long story which I'll document in a future thread).

My question - how far can you drop the front subframe before you have to start doing "other things" like disconnecting exhaust pipes, suspension, etc.?

I'm guessing that I'll be able to get a few inches of drop at the rear (probably won't try to drop the front any more than necessary to open up the biggest gap at the rear). But it would be helpful to know just how much I have to work with before I get too far into this job.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Truthfully, I would suggest a full disconnect of all items needed to drop the whole engine/trans assembly. It does not take all that much time, and may save you a bunch of grief. The only problem I ran into on this engine swap on my 2005 was the flex joint between the steering column and the rack. It did not come apart properly and was damaged. I just installed a new one and Good to Go.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can probably get about an inch or two max, but it stresses stuff that way. I'd only do that as a last resort...

Fear not the DIY, Bratcop

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My grand plans to drop the subframe much at all were thwarted by WW Grainger taking an extra couple days to get me the threaded rod I ordered. I'll hang onto the hardware for my next big job (particularly on the rear, since it would allow me to swap out those pesky swaybar bushings with ease).

FWIW, I did unbolt the rear subframe "stiffeners" (the little things attached at the rear corners of the subframe), and dropped the rear of the subframe about an inch by just backing out the bolts, which made for a MUCH better outcome to my high pressure power steering line replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts