Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that most of the postings about trips with the X are from people in Calif or the sourthwest over the summer. Can someone tell me how the X performs in snowy and icy conditions, for those who live in less hospitable climates? I moved to the northeast from Texas 3 winters ago and had to replace a transmission in my Voyager van from trying to make it up my steep snow covered driveway. I understand that the X has an advanced 4 wheel drive system but I would be interested in knowing if it performs just as well in winter conditions as those truck-based 4 wheel drive SUVs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The best reports for how an MDX handles on snow should be from Californians. Since they have no idea how to handle cars in snow (and if you want proof visit Lake Tahoe in the winter) they need all the help from their autos as they can.:rolleyes:

Chris

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
One member here has photos in the Gallery section, of his MDX on a frozen lake in MN.

Can't remember his name.

He'll be able to answer this one for you.:29:

·
Registered
87 Posts
MDX handles excellently in snow

Having lived in snow country and driven in it every year for the last 38 years I think I am qualified to comment. (Even though I live in Lake Tahoe California!!!).
The MDX is fabulous in the snow. Here in Tahoe we get mega feet of snow. Not unusual to have a 3-4ft dump. The MDX pulls through far better than I expected. Even big solid berms of snow plowed from the road. (Be carefull though, NO underside protection!) I have yet to activate the 4wd lock switch, just never needed it! The Michelin Cross Terrains performed very well too, much better than I thought they would based on the appearance of non-aggressive looking snow tread.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
We had a several-inch snow last winter here in Raleigh (a relatively-rare happening). I first went out in my '93 4WD Explorer, which has always done well in snow. Then I went out in the MDX, and it beat the pants off the Explorer in all ways - - surer traction, better acceleration, better stopping, and FAR smoother ride.

Then there's glare ice, where NO car is good without chains or studs! (There's an anecdote about this somewhere in this forum.)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Goes great (AWD!), stops OK (that's a lot of weight), corners very well. More fun to drive than any FWD car I've ever had.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Been in snow many times in the midwest (mostly OH). Performs fine - in fact, I really don't need to adjust my driving style at all (albeit winter style that comes from growing up in the stuff) with this vehicle. I also do not drive it much (bought for wife) and getting used to it (from an M3 of all things) is very easy. Really great overall vehicle. I have also had it "offroad" a few times on hunting trips. I am quite surprised at the different capabilities of the Michelin Cross Terrain tires - they are great! Few tires have decent snow traction, go good off-road and are still very quite on the highway. Kudos here!

·
Registered
671 Posts
We don't get much snow here in South Florida, so I can't comment on that! However, ghost from Duluth would know snow! I grew up in Minneapolis and later in Wisconsin, but wasn't lucky enough to have this vehicle at that time.

BTW and off-topic: Why don't members of this board tell us where they're from? I noticed that the person who started this topic, as have many others, left the location field blank -- it's interesting that the poster found it important that many of the other members are from California, but didn't find it important to let us know where he's (she's) from. Just curious.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:

BTW and off-topic: Why don't members of this board tell us where they're from? I noticed that the person who started this topic, as have many others, left the location field blank -- it's interesting that the poster found it important that many of the other members are from California, but didn't find it important to let us know where he's (she's) from. Just curious.
Obviously a person who doesn't like forms, as you can tell by the 'name'. :D

But they are from the Northeast, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
608 Posts
ByeByeChrysler said:
One member here has photos in the Gallery section, of his MDX on a frozen lake in MN.

Can't remember his name.

He'll be able to answer this one for you.:29:
Ghost.

BTW, best handling snow vehicle I've ever owned. We get a fair bit of snow here, as you would expect, and I've never had an issue with the 'X. Never even had to engage VTM.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Oh, what, yeah, that'd be me... (skidding in late). Sorry gang, been travelling for a couple weeks, and way off-line.

Not really wanting to think about snow now, it will come soon enough, but, yes, it's handled very well on everything I've been on so far, which includes 8-10" of snow over ice (click on the Ghost's SS link below to see the original Dec '01 ice fishing pix), 14+ inches uphill on a logging road (shaky there, but it made it), and general driving on ice-covered roads. I've made it through a number of late-March ice storm days of passing spun out cars, but a lot of that is knowing how to drive on ice (slow). The X's 4WD capabilities obviously come into play, it just feels sure-footed.

Lots of other snow types will attest to this, dig up some of Dancall's posts from way up in the NE, as well as the other midwesterners and Tahoe types.

Hmm, 308 new posts, could be a long night... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts