Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never, ever, concerned myself with how I closed a car door until now. I get out of the car, walk completely around the door until I am facing the outside of the door, put my keys in the hand not being used to close the door, then I push on the handle. The few times I have slipped up and actually touched the painted surface with my hand I said a Homer Simpson like thing and had to look at the mess I made... Eventually I'll learn.

The real question here is: what is the proper technique for closing the back? For those of you that use that little pull handle on the inside of the back door, how many broken fingers or wrists do you sustain before finding another method? I've been pulling the door down most of the way with that handle thing, then letting go to quickly move my hand to the license plate or the logo just above to finish the closing process. Perhaps it takes two people or a third arm? 'Cause I always have something in one hand, preventing me from using any sort of two handed door closing routine. I think it is not a good idea to keep pressing on the license plate...

So tell me. A] It takes two persons (or someone lucky enough to have a third arm) to properly close the back door or B] The back door remains closed all of the time and anything back there is gone forever. Perhaps Charisma / Fieldcrest makes a custom fitted door closing glove? :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Funny you should ask about the tailgate. I bought a chrome plate holder from the Pro shop at my favorite pro football team that has screw holes in the bottom. I bought short screws and a couple of bolts to fasten it to my plate. At the point where the screws and bolts would hit the tailgate, I put adhesive pads on the tailgate, so the screws would not scratch the finish. I push on the plate to close the tailgate door.

As for the doors, I have edge molding that I push on to close the drivers door. I carry a 100% cotton washcloth and a bottle of Z6 to clean up the fingerprints on the other doors when I have passengers!

:1:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maik said:
Funny you should ask about the tailgate. I bought a chrome plate holder from the Pro shop at my favorite pro football team that has screw holes in the bottom. I bought short screws and a couple of bolts to fasten it to my plate. At the point where the screws and bolts would hit the tailgate, I put adhesive pads on the tailgate, so the screws would not scratch the finish. I push on the plate to close the tailgate door.

As for the doors, I have edge molding that I push on to close the drivers door. I carry a 100% cotton washcloth and a bottle of Z6 to clean up the fingerprints on the other doors when I have passengers!

:1:
I must see a picture :confused:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Closing Hatch

Sambuca,

I've had my X for 3 weeks now and have the same problem with where to put the hand closing the hatch. I had this same problem closing the trunk on my SLK 230. You had to put your hand on top of the trunk to close it. I bought a chrome (probably come in black also) L-shaped handle that attaches to the bottom 2 screw holes on the license plate frame.

It makes a "handle" the length of the licence plate and sticks out from the plate about 1 inch. It would work great on the MDX also. My only problem is I can't remember where I got it. I've looked on the Mercedes web site thinking I may have bought it there, but haven't found it. I'll keep looking because I want one too, but thought you may look for something like this at your local auto parts store or maybe a auto parts and accessories web site you may visit.

Mark

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
From the looks of the picture, I would be somewhat leary. Remember, the X does not have 4 screw holes, but only two on top.
The handle, from the picture, looks to put a lot of pressure on the bottom of the license plate. With no lower screws holding it, I wonder how stable it will be.

If anyone has tried it, please post your results/observations.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I agree with you Maik.

Eventually it would scratch or dent under the plate too.

:4: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maik said:
From the looks of the picture, I would be somewhat leary. Remember, the X does not have 4 screw holes, but only two on top.
The handle, from the picture, looks to put a lot of pressure on the bottom of the license plate. With no lower screws holding it, I wonder how stable it will be.

Can post a picture of your set up bro?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Maik said:

What about instead of putting it underneath, put it on the top two screws above the plate? Unless your state has tags in the middle Im sure you wouldnt be pulled over?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
BigDog said:

Can post a picture of your set up bro?
Nothing fancy here...first picture is the license plate holder....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Next one shows the lower bolt, nut and pad to protect the tailgate finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why does this have to be so difficult. My dealer told me to pull down on the inside handle and just push on the plate to close it. There is cushion supports behind the plate.:1:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must have missed the "just push here" part of the dealer's presentation. Pushing on the plate just does not seem right to me.

Maik - perhaps I too will carry a 100% cotton washcloth... If you fold it right, can you wear it like a hanky in a suit coat?

I am not sure what my solution will be...

Speaking of the lift gate - what kind of rush of fear did you get when you opened the rear door and just let go and then realized that you are doing this in the garage for the first time? No tears here! I have a whole inch or so of clearance.

Mike

·
Registered
671 Posts
CLOSING THE TAILGATE: I pull on the small inside handle and let go with enough force that it either closes or stops in the 'almost closed' position and then I use the 'logo plate' to finish the job. This has never caused any problems, is easy to do, and is the way the salesman showed me when I took delivery.

TAILGATE HITTING GARAGE DOOR: I posted about this fear and someone suggested using pipe insulation on the door splines -- it works great! No fear, no scratches, no problem.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
CLOSING THE TAILGATE:
TAILGATE HITTING GARAGE DOOR: I posted about this fear and someone suggested using pipe insulation on the door splines -- it works great! No fear, no scratches, no problem.
I second the pipe insulation. I installed them on the inside ribs of the garage doors. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Kind of along the same lines (but not really) is this problem: The tailgate can close but not latch all the way leaving the interior lights on and also illuminating the red line indicator on the dash showing the tailgate is open - the problem? The red line and the interior lights are not readily apparent on a bright sunny day in South Florida! Twice I have been on the freeway when I notice that the tailgate isn't closed tightly --- this happens when the tailgate is pushed down, but it doesn't engage the latch fully. I haven't had it pop open on me, but I don't particularly like to drive with it not latched. Anyone else have this 'problem'?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep!

AcuraMDX2002 said:
Kind of along the same lines (but not really) is this problem: The tailgate can close but not latch all the way leaving the interior lights on and also illuminating the red line indicator on the dash showing the tailgate is open - the problem? The red line and the interior lights are not readily apparent on a bright sunny day in South Florida! Twice I have been on the freeway when I notice that the tailgate isn't closed tightly --- this happens when the tailgate is pushed down, but it doesn't engage the latch fully. I haven't had it pop open on me, but I don't particularly like to drive with it not latched. Anyone else have this 'problem'?
But it only happens after my DH has been unloading the rear of the X. I usually catch it before I'm even off of my street, though, due to the increase in noise I can hear coming from back there. I always make sure I don't turn the radio/CD player on until after I've hit the main road, this way I'm certain to hear the additional noise before I get too far. BTW, I never really even noticed the illuminated red line on the dash, as I always heard the difference first. Will have to look for it the next time.

Donna

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thanks folks, being tall, I just noticed the handle on the inside of the tailgate after reading the above posts. (made for right-handed people only)

Question:

Can you drive with the tailgate open? example to carry Christmas tree or 2x4 lumber, do you use rubber ties from Home Depot to secure the tailgate? Where do you hook them up?

What's the soft circle thing in the middle-lower-inside of the tailgate for, noticed that too, but haven't read up on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts