Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I just purchased a 2012 MDX with Tech package and I'm grinning ear-to-ear except... The ride seems much harsher than the 2007 Ford Explorer Limited that I traded for it. While the handling and speed puts the explorer to shame, I had become accustomed to that more "pillowy" ride. Any one else care to share their opinion?

Randy

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
MDX is on the "stiffer" side for ride. Some of that is in the tires and you can improve it a bit when the time comes. We got about 50k miles out of the OEM Michelins and they were rough and very loud after about 30k. Replaced with Continental Crosscontact LX20's that are better in just about every way except handling. They're just not as crisp when pushed hard into turns, but feel quite good otherwise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i traded in my BMW E90 330i so going to an MDX Advance is like trading in a sporty car and into a boat (to me).

MDX is on the "stiffer" side for ride. Some of that is in the tires and you can improve it a bit when the time comes. We got about 50k miles out of the OEM Michelins and they were rough and very loud after about 30k. Replaced with Continental Crosscontact LX20's that are better in just about every way except handling. They're just not as crisp when pushed hard into turns, but feel quite good otherwise.
I agree in regards to the OEM Michelins. I think they're original and they have about 55k on them...I hate them because they're quite noisy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
But the MDX will never have that American style "on a cloud" ride. This is for the very reasons it puts the Explorer to shame in handling. The better a car handles, the crappier the ride gets. Go ahead and drive a race car one day and see if you could take that for an expended period. Heck, get in a ZO6 and you'll wonder what all the money is for because the ride SUCKS...until you get to the track and then you get it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I went from Lexus to MDX and always thought something is wrong with mdx. The road noise was comparable to Yugo
My wife has a Lexus RX and I thought the same thing until I bought Continental LX 20 tires. It's just as quiet now but the Mdx handles flatter and definitely has a better feel than the Lexus numb steering and brakes. Hate driving that thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2011 MDX with ADS shocks. 19" rims. The ride is so harsh the car rattles. Not a luxury car at all.
I have an 11' MDX Advance, I find the ride smooth with an exceptional amount of feedback for such a large heavy vehicle. I daily an A Spec RSX Type S though, and spend weekends in an S2000 so the perspective is definitely different for the two of us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the ride of my '11 tech, very smooth and quiet on good pavement. On rough roads it's stiff but I think it's a good balance for such good handling.

I have the stock Michelins, inflated a few extra PSI's.

·
Registered
863 Posts
As to lack of cushy ride, I believe it is the trade-off for better handling. I will take the better handling.

As to noise, I believe it is a combo of tire wear and the road materials now used. Many states are using an asphalt mix that allegedly is more durable, but not as smooth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2010 Tech is smoother and quieter than all of the SUVs I've been in. It has Michelin Latitude Tour HPs on it. When I got the car a few weeks ago they were at 34 pounds cold. I dropped them to the spec 32. I think it rode better at 34 - need to pump them up and see. (My 93 Q45 also rode better with a little more air in the tires.)

·
Registered
301 Posts
My 2010 Tech is smoother and quieter than all of the SUVs I've been in. It has Michelin Latitude Tour HPs on it. When I got the car a few weeks ago they were at 34 pounds cold. I dropped them to the spec 32. I think it rode better at 34 - need to pump them up and see. (My 93 Q45 also rode better with a little more air in the tires.)
try a 1970's Station wagon and feel the smoothness!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts