Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, there was a nasty accident on my MDX and at first, I was going to replace the window, but I found couple other MDXs in nearby junkyards with doors intact. The problem is, every search brings up how to remove the interior. I want to replace the WHOLE rear door along with the bumper. What kind of tools would I need?

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I helped a friend swap a tailgate on another vehicle. It's not the worst thing but not easy either, you need manpower for this tailgate swap, at least 2 large people or 3 normal size people as 1-2 people hold the heavy tailgate up while the 3rd screws it in. Also some junk yards will be happy to install the tailgate for a fee, I had parts swapped by junk yards for very cheap in the past and they usually have the manpower.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your post is timely, I just got done doing a tailgate swap on my 2003 MDX. I believe it was a 12mm socket for the 2 bolts on each hinge, a flat head screwdriver to unhook the gas pistons, and 1 or 2 helpers to hold the gate in place. There's a wiring harness you'll need to unplug and reconnect. I have the removed tailgate still in my garage with the inner panels stripped off and can take some pictures later showing the innards and wiring.

By the way, a tailgate from any 1st gen mdx will work. It looks like for you there was only 1 black color (B92P) for the whole generation so look for the newest version if you can. Realize though if you get a tailgate from a different model year (like i did) you may need to transplant the original wiring over to the donor tailgate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.