Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 MDX ADV with 5 button fob. I’ve had a hard time finding a good keychain to carry it and my other keys with. Wondering what you all have been using if anything to carry your fob around

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
I use keychains from Sante Fe Stoneworks. I discovered them over 5 years ago and love them. I've got five or six of them, for various key sets, now.

https://santafestoneworks.com/products/kaleidoscope-keysticks

Very nice and artistic.

Our dealer gave us a three or four of these when I bought the RL. Been using them ever since. They are sold on fleabay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Brown-Leather-Rectangular-Silver-Acura-Logo-Key-Chain-Fob-Ring/352305555838?epid=1833381427&hash=item52070c297e:g:U4gAAOSwLs5aoL-f&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
17 Posts
The remote is so huge and cumbersome, I bought a rubber cover ($8) and use it as a stand alone no keys. It's still very uncomfortable in the pocket. The Infinity above is nearly identical to the MercBenz and fits nicely in the pocket with no keys.

Honda should update to a smaller size. This has been a long time complaint against HONDA.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I use just a cheap (200 of them for $8 on Amazon) basic split key ring of about 1" diameter. The FOB itself has a small split type ring on it (came with it) that I clip to the 1" one along with other keys. It works but the ones posted above seem nicer - maybe I'll get one of those.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The dealer had a metal/leather keychain attached to each fob in our '17 Tech with the 2-way remote. I can't carry it in my pocket because the remote is huge, and I have a tendency to have remote buttons in my pocket get pushed at the worst times :) So I carry my remotes on a carabiner attached to a front belt loop. Seems to have solved the random button push problem....

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use rubber covers on my fob as well (found on fleabay). They are available in multiple colors so that drivers 1 and 2 can be readily identified by the different colors. I think they cut down on accidental button pushes as they effectively recess the buttons. Still, I have come back to the car to find it unlocked, and considering the long range of the fob it is possible that buttons are getting pushed. An RF blocking case might be a good idea for security (repeaters couldn't be used to steal the car) but a real PITA to have to remove to use the car. Nothing's perfect.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Dealer had a 1 inch silver ring with their leather marketing tab attached to the fob. I just removed the leather tab and put my three keys on the ring.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use rubber covers on my fob as well (found on fleabay). They are available in multiple colors so that drivers 1 and 2 can be readily identified by the different colors. I think they cut down on accidental button pushes as they effectively recess the buttons. Still, I have come back to the car to find it unlocked, and considering the long range of the fob it is possible that buttons are getting pushed. An RF blocking case might be a good idea for security (repeaters couldn't be used to steal the car) but a real PITA to have to remove to use the car. Nothing's perfect.
The car should auto lock if doors aren't opened within a set amount of seconds. Check your vehicle settings.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have no other keys...just a garage door opener. I suppose I'm lucky. Wife's car key stays in the car in the garage...other MDX key is on a hook in the garage.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Wife's car key stays in the car in the garage
Coming from someone who's had their garage broken into before - you might want to re-think that. It's normally very easy to break into a garage - I even broke into my own garage once. Garage door openers aren't that secure and make it easier to break in by just manually lifting the door (with some force) - the opener mechanism will just break.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I have no other keys...just a garage door opener. I suppose I'm lucky. Wife's car key stays in the car in the garage...other MDX key is on a hook in the garage.
I can’t imagine keeping the key in the car or in the garage. As previous poster said. Plus if you have the comfort opening. Keyless. Having the key so close may draw more from the battery. If someone broke into your garage,why make it so easy to take your car?

·
Registered
695 Posts
IF they get into the garage, they are going to get into the house.

Reactions: Gavynpage
1 - 20 of 28 Posts