Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am not sure if this is normal for the MDX.

Most of the car I've driven will maintain the radio music ON, only after I open the door then the radio shuts off.

I would appreciate if someone can guide me to enable this again.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Hmm careful careful about shift to park. In the 2016+ that shuts off the car from "car wash mode."

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turning it off in neutral will have no long term negative impact?
Interesting trick, its shame that this is the only way of doing it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turning it off in neutral will have no long term negative impact?
Interesting trick, its shame that this is the only way of doing it?
If you have the traditional gear shifter (not the buttons) Put the transmission in park, then hold the button/lever on the gear shifter while you press the on/off button. Now you are in park with your radio still on.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Am not sure if this is normal for the MDX.

Most of the car I've driven will maintain the radio music ON, only after I open the door then the radio shuts off.

I would appreciate if someone can guide me to enable this again.
Turn the motor off while the MDX is in "Drive".

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Turn the motor off while the MDX is in "Drive".
Depends on your model/year... In my MDX (2017 SH-AWD Advance) if I turn the ignition off while I'm still in Drive then it automatically shifts to Park and the radio still turns off.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Put shifter in neutral then turn car off is the only way I figured that works, then shift to Park after.
This works on my new 17 Advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a new lease of a 2020 MDX and just became aware that I can not listen to the radio after I turn the ignition off. What a dumb f#$%&*$ idea, how stupid can Honda be, I am finding out. It's appearing that the more I find out about this car the less I like it. Although it does ride very nice.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you have the traditional gear shifter (not the buttons) Put the transmission in park, then hold the button/lever on the gear shifter while you press the on/off button. Now you are in park with your radio still on.
This is by far the best method, I think (if you have the shifter (2014 to 2016(?) or 2015 (?).

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I am a new lease of a 2020 MDX and just became aware that I can not listen to the radio after I turn the ignition off. What a dumb f#$%&*$ idea, how stupid can Honda be, I am finding out. It's appearing that the more I find out about this car the less I like it. Although it does ride very nice.
For heavens sake. Just press the start button without stepping on the brake. It goes into accessory mode. Don’t you research a car before you buy it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
How powered accessories work when ignition is turned off varies by mfg. Of my three brands of cars:
1) One brand accessories like radio stay on with ignition off until drivers door opens or 20 minutes pass
2) Next brand radio goes off with ignition, but if I push radio button, it comes on and will stay on for 15 minutes then turn off
3) Acura it goes off but instead of pushing radio button, just hit the start button with foot off the brake, radio comes on.

But the radio on with key out is a "newer" feature on vehicles, something that happened in the last 15ish years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I most certainly did dumb ass but, I purchased $50,000 car. I assumed I could listen to the radio and not have the engine running. This is Honda nickel and diming me again, one thing I can assure you is, it will not happen again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why do I have to jump through hoop in order to do what every other manufacturer has their cars do normally.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I most certainly did dumb ass but, I purchased $50,000 car. I assumed I could listen to the radio and not have the engine running. This is Honda nickel and diming me again, one thing I can assure you is, it will not happen again.
Again. Just press the start button without stepping on the brake to listen to the radio. Is that clear enough for you? How is this Honda nickel and diming you? Are they charging for listening to the radio now?

·
Registered
159 Posts

well:

1) you DO NOT have to have the engine running to listen to the radio, just hit the start button with your foot off the brake. Read the owners manual it's full of usefull info.
2) having the radio stay on when you turn off the ignition is NOT universal by any means. Of the Three brands I have, ONE keeps the radio on and turns it off when the drivers door is opened, One you push on the radio button for it to come back on with ignition off ONE (acura) you hit the start button to go to accy mode and it stays in accy mode when the door opens, ust as easy as pushing on the radio button.

IMHO I actually like the two that don't keep it on because I can have the radio on when doing things in the car and not have it go off with an open drivers door. On that vehicle the only way to have the radio stay on with a door open is to have the key in the ignition in accy mode.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why do I have to jump through hoop in order to do what every other manufacturer has their cars do normally.
hardly a "every other car does normally". Of my 3 brands ONE behaves like you want, the others turn off but are easy to turn back on for a limited time.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What? Any other push button car I've driven in the past 5 years or so operates exactly the same: if you keep your foot on the brake and push the button to shut off the engine, everything is shut off. If you don't keep your foot on the brake and just push the button - the engine shuts off, but accessory power is running, so does the infotainment system.

What are you talking about?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts