Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another weird problem (I'm not sure) I'm encountering. It seems that the trip computer (I don't have the nav) sometimes is bright and sometimes is dimmer, without moving the brightness switch. One it went out and the dealer had to replace the whole thing, saying the compass is bad. Even with the replaced one, I find it dimmer than when I first got the car, and I had it on at the brightest. I've seen some other vehicles with this type of screen and they seem alot brighter. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't know for sure about this, but I think that temperature has an effect on LCDs. I think I read that somewhere??? :confused: :8: Ours does it too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Mine does this too. But I'm having trouble believing its just tempature. I'm in AZ, and I've seen the color suddenly change when its 55 out or when its 105 out. Not tragic, but very annoying.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Sounds like yours has a problem. Mine (02 w/navi) is so bright that if I leave it on daylight setting at night I almost need sunglasses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Isn't there an option where the brightness is automatically selected for either day or night??? i think there is!
under setup...

·
Registered
572 Posts
We're talking about the NON-Navi, not the NAVI.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Vic2kMD said:
Isn't there an option where the brightness is automatically selected for either day or night??? i think there is!
under setup...
Yes there is an auto setting. I have been driving with my lights on in the daytime so I have had to manually set it to day or night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spare me the trouble to look at the manual, but where's the auto setting. I'm thinking mine might be set auto and not know it that's why is dim. It's just that at night it's dim when the brightness dial is set all the way to the right.

I've notice that its sometimes bright and sometimes dim too, and thought it's the temperature. Mine is a new replacement and it's doing the same thing, getting very annoying. Sometimes at night it's so dim it's dimmer than the radio display! Is yours that dim?

·
Registered
19 Posts
According to the manual the Brightness control has seven positions. In the middle five positions the display will dim when you turn on the parking lights or headlights.

Moving the control to the far left position turns off the display. It will come back on for several seconds if you press any of the buttons.

In the far right (maximum brightness) position the display will not dim when you turn on the parking lights.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
In the navigation model there is a setup button on the bottom of the screen that you press to change to off/auto/day/night.

Base models (yours must be base if you have a compass):

"The brightness control has seven positions. In the middle five positions the display will dim when you turn on the parking lights or headlights......In the far right position, the display will not dim when you turn on the parking lights."

If yours is all the way to the right and still dim it sounds like you have a problem that the dealer needs to repair.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a problem with LCD too. It starts kinda dark and gets lighter while you driving (takes over 20 min). Already replaced the screen under warranty - didn't help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't really recall but I kinda remember the screen being brighter when I first got the vehicle. it's been dimmer as I used it. Now even the new replaced screen is not helping. :-(

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Since the weather has been warmer up here, I've notived that the display is actually a bit brighter comapred to when it is below 15 degrees F outside. Once the car warms up, the brightness is back to normal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since I only have one spot in the garage, my X had to stay outside overnite a few days ago. It was very cold too (single digits). When I first started it in the Morning, I could hardly see LCD screen at all...

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the non-navi trip computer (they don't offer the navi in Canada:( ) but mine gets brighter as the car (or rather the LCD) warms up. I've had the trip comp replaced due to some innacurate readings of the range (it would hit 0 with 1/8 of a tank of gas?) but I've seem to lost the 7 positions of the brightness. It seems that there are only about 4-5. I'm constantly switching from full to partial when driving at night as the LCD gets brighter. It drives me nuts:3:

·
Registered
351 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Sounds like yours has a problem. Mine (02 w/navi) is so bright that if I leave it on daylight setting at night I almost need sunglasses.
I've done that before just to mess with drivers in other cars, who stare because (from the brightness) it looks like I'm watching TV. :19: I can only do it for a minute or two, though, because the brightness becomes annoying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts