Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

How accurate do you find the MPG/Range calculator?

8K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  andysinnh 
#1 ·
Just wondering how accurate you guys find the computer in the 2007- MDX's?

Just got an MDX and on last fill up it said I got 22MPG. Pretty amazing because I have a 1997 CR-V that gets 23-24 MPG when driving 80mph.

#6 ·
I like it for the instantaineous feedback, EG seeing how much you burn on takeoff, and what steady state is etc..
Im am keeping track of Miles vs Fuel but havent run the math yet. But I think it will be close to the 18.1 mpg its showing.

#7 ·
fairly accurate as well on the 2005... but I won't let the wifey get up to the fuel low warning light...

that's just asking for trouble with the fuel acting as a coolant for the fuel pump

&

there is no external fuel filter to change when it becomes clogged from sucking up sediment from the bottom of the tank... (dunno why they put the filter built-in to the assembly inside the fuel tank)

#8 ·
I don't know about the second-gen that the question was originally asked about, but I find it not very accurate on my 2004. The car's calculations consistently show better fuel economy (by 2 to 3 mpg) than manual calculations based on the actual number of gallons used.

#11 ·
Mine varies, but it's pretty accurate from what I can tell. I attribute it to the large amount of error involved with filling the gas tank. Nozzle cutoff devices are far from precise, so you don't necessarily fill the tank to the same level every time. Which is why my pattern of inconsistency is such that sometimes my manual number is bigger or smaller than the computer. Your best bet is to use the same pump at the same station for every fillup during a test, but even that won't yield what I would consider precise results given how the cutoff system works.

#12 ·
Resurrecting an old thread here...

Now that I've got over 2k miles I figured I'd start doing some hand calculations on my mpg and compare to the trip computer. I've found over the last few tanks that the computer actually reads LOW mpg's compared to the hand calculation - by about 1-2 mpg depending on the driving scenarios. Specifically, if you drive mostly consistent without a lot of stops (either highway or rural roads), then the calculations are closer. But if you do a lot of stop 'n go driving - or sit for a bit idling - the displayed mpg is further off from calculated at fillup. I try to use the same station at the same time of the day for my fillups (side effect of my mundane, routine mornings... :) ).

Anyone else notice a similar behavior?

andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.