Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting at home and doing nothing is affecting my metal health LOL. I cant wait till this Corona disaster is over.
Since working form home and sitting on couch all day long... Decided to start working on my old idea (CAI).
So here you go:

Will have to redo valve cover breather filter, this is just temporary solution (used what I had in my toolbox)
TB and intake manifold spacer is next on my list.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
150 Posts
Nice! I was too lazy to pipe mine down below but I do have a lot of extra straight and bent 3.5" aluminum pipes laying around but my MAF housing pipe is 4" so I will probably have to change that and my K&N filter to go back down to 3.5". Gonna see if I can find my old 3.5" maf housing, if not then I gotta Amazon it but they are taking too long to ship now days. Another thing I am scared about is, my MDX is now 4 inches lower than stock and Hawaii has flooding when it rains hard or for long periods so I have to make sure water won't reach it.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, where did you grab it? The MDX has a stock CAI, but it's not ideal. I pulled the silencer crap when I got my MDX and tossed a K&N in because I couldn't find an actual aftermarket setup. Loved the sound in my TL.
Just regular intercooler piping, velocity stack, filter and filter wrap.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I was too lazy to pipe mine down below but I do have a lot of extra straight and bent 3.5" aluminum pipes laying around but my MAF housing pipe is 4" so I will probably have to change that and my K&N filter to go back down to 3.5". Gonna see if I can find my old 3.5" maf housing, if not then I gotta Amazon it but they are taking too long to ship now days. Another thing I am scared about is, my MDX is now 4 inches lower than stock and Hawaii has flooding when it rains hard or for long periods so I have to make sure water won't reach it.
Yes, make sure to get 3.5 housing, 4 only with tune. Ebay have few for sale...
Dont worry about rain, unless you driving through 3ft deep puddles...
This is location of the filter:

I have my tune Infinti i made similar setup on it two, filters location just in front of grille.
I wanted to do same filter location on Acura too, but there was no space for fat filter..
This setup made 18whp on Infiniti:

Reactions: Modded11MDX

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you have links or details (exact sizes of pipe and velocity stack/filter etc) of what you used? I wouldn't mind doing this.

Regarding hydro-locking your engine, it's definitely possible if the water is deep enough. I did it with my old TL, hit a flooded road at night, didn't see it coming. I remember the water pouring out of the engine when I removed the plugs. (Engine was toast, replaced by insurance)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have links or details (exact sizes of pipe and velocity stack/filter etc) of what you used? I wouldn't mind doing this.

Regarding vapor locking your engine, it's definitely possible if the water is deep enough. I did it with my old TL, hit a flooded road at night, didn't see it coming. I remember the water pouring out of the engine when I removed the plugs. (Engine was toast, replaced by insurance)
Its more hydro-locking :) vapors will not lock engine. But if filter is submerged in water, you can say bye bye to the engine :) Thats why ducting location must be at least 2ft of the ground.

Here you go:

Piping (you could make few CAI systems with this one):

Velocity stack:

Filter:

Filter wrap:

AEM Induction 1-4002 Dryflow Air Filter Wrap.

MAF housing tube:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Its more hydro-locking :) vapors will not lock engine. But if filter is submerged in water, you can say bye bye to the engine :) Thats why ducting location must be at least 2ft of the ground.

Here you go:

Piping (you could make few CAI systems with this one):

Velocity stack:

Filter:

Filter wrap:

AEM Induction 1-4002 Dryflow Air Filter Wrap.

MAF housing tube:

Thanks! Yes, quarantine brain fart... lol Hydro-Lock!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does it sound with the silencer stuff removed?
It is long tube, so pretty much stock until Vtec, it roars like monster. And there is swoosh sound on initial tip in heard outside.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok some updates on intake:
1. Larger filter
2. Larger TB

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
150 Posts
(y) Let me know if you feel any difference. This year I was planning on installing a throttle body and a phenolic intake manifold spacer then Covid happened and I never got around to it. Now I don't see any of those items that I bookmarked on the XLR8 website. Anyways, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
(y) Let me know if you feel any difference. This year I was planning on installing a throttle body and a phenolic intake manifold spacer then Covid happened and I never got around to it. Now I don't see any of those items that I bookmarked on the XLR8 website. Anyways, let us know how it goes.
It is more responsive for sure, and maybe 2whp-4whp increase on top.
Most noticeable thing is a response from transmission. I did an update to latest transmission software 3 weeks ago. Combined with larger TB, sprint booster and software update it is way eager to shift. Drives like a different car right now, feels lighter on its feet.

MDX spacer and hardware is cheaper if you will buy directly from dealer.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@dzionassi Can you please tell me what version of the transmission software you updated to?

Also, can you tell me how I can see what version of the transmission software that I have?

Thank you
I asked them to do just a software update part of TSB 16-063. Torque converter is reprogramed for faster lockup, less slippage is allowed under new update.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One more acceleration video:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Even more torque?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Change of plans. Decided to upgrade to 4" piping and re tune it. Already can tell an improvement in lower rpm range.
Also welding aluminum is no fun, welds way different compared to steel. New experience...:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts