Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Got 'em today - already installed!

I thought installation would be a little scary, but it was a breeze! The box says that there are no instructions inside, and I couldn't get instructions off Tim's site, so I improvised.

This is what I did: (Some of these instructions are on the templates that are included)

(1) wiped off the area where the BSMs are going to be stuck on using alcohol wipes

(2) taped the template on using scotch tape

(3) Peeled the backing off the BSM

(4) Attached to MDX by bending the BSM so that only a small part of the flat edge was touching the car at the door edge (I started on the front door) and made sure it was straight then slowly rolled the BSM onto the side of the MDX while keeping it exactly even with the bottom of the template.

Notes: (1) the template seems to be labeled wrong - I always thought the right side of the car was the passenger side (US) but the template fits on the right side with the printing on the outside and it says it's the left side! (2) the complaints I've read about in this forum that say that the BSMs don't fit snuggly are true - but the ones I got are very consistent along the entire length and they look fine. (3) the quality of these BSMs are fantastic - I don't understand why they don't come as standard equipment like on my TL-S and my CL.

·
Registered
392 Posts
thanks for the input on installing the bsm's, particularly which side the templates go on. It means i'll be less confused when i get the bsm's from tim tomorrow!!!! Nice to know they not only can help prevent dings, but look good too!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Acuramdx2002,

I also installed my own BSM's on my white X. I do notice that they do not fit flush to the paint. There is a noticeable gap along most of the side moulding....some areas wider than other areas.

Do you notice slight gaps in your BSM's?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Count me in.

mdxxxx said:
I'll take Starlite Silver Metallic

:eek:
You can try and take em...but I'd call tim and buy em instead! better hurry, the group buy is ending. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put mine on with no problems and notice no gaps. They look great. Now, whether or not they're in the "right" place is another question...but, if they're wrong, they're wrong consistently on both sides!:cool:

·
Registered
671 Posts
mdxxxx - you missed the boat! The group buy ended last friday. I missed the boat the first time, too, but we got another one going. Call Tim and see.

As far as a gap - yes, there's a little gap that is pretty consistent. Doesn't bother me at all. My MDX is Red Rock Pearl - maybe the different colors enhance the 'gap' a bit and make it look worse.

Interesting to think that you could put the BSMs in the wrong place! The position between the bottom and top of the doors is pretty well laid out if you use the templates. The positioning left and right is pretty obvious. The shorter piece, the one that goes on the rear door, has a beveled end (the flat end, not the pointed end) that goes flush with the front edge of the rear door. The reason it is beveled is to give it enough room to open the door without it hitting the rear edge of the front door. Then the longer piece, the one that goes on the front door, starts flush with the rear edge of the front door and the pointed end points toward the front tire. I was a little confused at first, so I looked in the 'gallery' forum to see how others had installed them and saw one guy who installed his with what appears to be a several inch gap between the two 'flat' ends - with neither flat end abutting the edge of the door. I also had the advantage of looking at my 2002 TL-S which has BSMs as standard equipment and they are installed as I described above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would love BSM ...but I need them in Emerald Green which I know can painted for an additional charge.
Aren't there any other Emerald Green MDX'ers out there that would like to try for a group paint job ..? Is that a possibility Tim ?! 4:

·
Registered
213 Posts
So is there going to be a BSM Group Buy?

No one has said anyting recently about this possible group buy! I'm good for the Starlight Silver!

WL

·
Registered
213 Posts
How about it Tim? I've been waiting to place my order...do we have enough people yet? :8:

-WL

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too would be interested, i have only bought one thing from Tim
[got my X last week...the day before a giagantic dust storm in phoenix] :mad: , I feel i've been lagging behind the rest of the crowd.

I'd be down for Starlight Silver

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check the Gallery section in the forums, there are some pictures of of the best looking black X's around w/BSMs.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts