Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
mdxstang,
does your 2014 Nav system reroute you if traffic is bad? Never once in my 16 months of mine has it ever done it. And it is never accurate on "time remaining" for any drive longer than 10 minutes. I'd trade for the 16 Nav in a heartbeat. I fell like I was bait and switched byt the commercials about how some paths are meant to be beaten....Also never has mine ever shown any live traffic info that is accurate. But then again, I have the MDX from hell....
Mine does all the time. You need an AcuraLink subscription and you need to select the "Traffic Reroute" option.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine does all the time. You need an AcuraLink subscription and you need to select the "Traffic Reroute" option.
Oh that's what it is supposed to do. I had a tech ride with me and all settings were what they were supposed to be and acuralink. Even he was shocked at how poor it was in my 2014. Just said sorry and. I thing could be done. I've had enough 16 loaners to see a marvel of difference. Glad it works for some though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Their maps are done by Alpine. I suggest we all write to them to tell them to switch to Garmin. I keep a Garmin in mine as so quick to route, the vocal commands never work, and I like a GPS that shows me my speed, and the local speed limit. Which the Acura does not. Those should be basic items. For an option that is nearly $2k it should even arrange a oriental massage parlor drive by for you. I mean really, $2k for maps with these issues?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Besides having traffic rerouting option clicked on, you also need to have server route option clicked on as well. This also assumes your acuralink subscription is active.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Split screen is a navigation option. There is also an option to hear Bluetooth sent messages as well. Including google maps. (I think there is a setting in google maps for this that also needs to be enabled)

Edit: Play as Bluetooth Call is the option in on Google maps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That play as Bluetooth call option sucks. Tons of latency in response causing parts of directions to be missed, totally stops the music, and takes a long time (has to answer, play message and hang up). It is a very cumbersome alternative.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That play as Bluetooth call option sucks. Tons of latency in response causing parts of directions to be missed, totally stops the music, and takes a long time (has to answer, play message and hang up). It is a very cumbersome alternative.
f#$#kin car manufacturers need to get with the times when it comes to UIs and speedy systems that can process data at an instance. :|

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 TL had a better Nav system than the 2016 Nav. The 2016 Nav is painfully slow to load; routinely cannot find addresses; takes me to wrong places; is extremely unreliable in providing directions to the point that I've taken to loading up directions on my phone's google maps for the times that the 2016 MDX Nav fails me. Very disappointed. Will not lease/buy another Acura again...and this is my fifth Acura in a row.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Well folks, the squeaky wheel always gets the grease, so complain away to ACR and the dealer (but if the dealer just brushes you off by saying there's no fixes for it, then pester ACR until you get a case manager to hear your complaints--my dealer also says that they don't really report non-safety complaints up the chain, especially if no fix was done), as that's the only way they will decide to issue a TSB for it. Bringing up the Consumer Reports complaints and ratings may further help your position.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was in the dealership and saw them replacing the hard drive for one of these infotainment systems. That is why it is so slow to boot up! I thought it would have been SSD. I wonder if you took out the mechanical hard drive and cloned it to an SSD if it would make a big difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2016 Nav works fine for me. Though the voice recognition did not work very well in the first week or two. I'm guessing there was some sort of learning algorithm to get accustomed to my vocal patterns or something like that. Now it seems to do a much better job in recognizing my commands / addresses (it also helps I don't have an "accent" - my poor friend from South America can never use stuff like this).

But once my 3 year AcuraLink subscription lapses and I lose my traffic data, I'll probably start using my Google Maps navigation again.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Can you share more information on your mirroring device? How do you like it? Easy install? Etc. Thanks.
Also maybe check with tesh to see if he got his unit in the end and if he installed it. A bunch of us got stiffed by navtool on azine but we do know they can produce a working device as demonstrated on corvette forums. Just keep in mind their customer service was so bad (constant lying, making fake accounts to post good reviews about themselves) and refunds mostly never happened so the majority of cancellations ended up needing cc disputes (which we all won of course).

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought I'd bring this back from the dead. :) I'm soon to be picking up a 2016 MDX (trading in my 2008). Is the dealership (which is a non-Acura dealer) required to update the NAV to 2018 prior to me picking it up? I've not seen this MDX yet to know if it has the newest version, but want to verify before I drive off the lot as it were.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I thought I'd bring this back from the dead. :) I'm soon to be picking up a 2016 MDX (trading in my 2008). Is the dealership (which is a non-Acura dealer) required to update the NAV to 2018 prior to me picking it up? I've not seen this MDX yet to know if it has the newest version, but want to verify before I drive off the lot as it were.
No. Even an Acura dealership isn't required to do the map update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No. Even an Acura dealership isn't required to do the map update.
Beans. Well, it's not a deal-breaker, but would've been a nice alternative from using my phone for directions. OT, I plan on adding a few things to this when it arrives (Advance running boards, mudguards, etc.), I may update the software as well if the previous owner (it was a lease vehicle) never updated it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have the originally supplied maps in my 2014 MDX (built June 2013) and they're generally fine. I don't think the cost is worth it to update the maps. Sure, there'll be some occasional new roads that aren't covered by the maps, but that's true with even the latest maps since even the latest ones are still aged to some degree.

Your 2016 is a couple of years newer than mine and will have more up to date maps than mine. My suggestion is to just get it, use it, don't be dissuaded by posters her and give the Nav system, with whatever maps it comes to you with, a try and see how it goes. Spend a little time reading the Nav owner's manual to get familiar with it and then play with it. I find it convenient to read the soft copy of the manual after downloading it from the Acura site.

The Nav isn't perfect but it usually will get you where you want to go and is convenient. It's also safer to glance at the big built-in Nav display and operate the big knob rather than a relatively little smartphone screen with a touchscreen.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts