Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2016 with Tech and have the Acura link running. The Nav System reminds me of cars I had in 2008 when the option was 3,000 bucks.

No road names
No road colors that represent traffic
No automatic rerouting suggestion
3 different places to go to do change settings
Awful street level nav

Does anybody know if they plan to issue an software update?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
No word on any software updates for the 2016 yet. Traffic should be displayed through your free 3 year Acuralink subscription (the lowest tier) with colored lines. There will also be TRF displayed on the lower left of the top screen. If you don't have any of these, I recommend you get the Acuralink connection checked out. Rerouting is also supposed to be included.

Overall, most of us agree. Folks will jump in here soon asking you why you didn't realize these things during your test drive, so be ready!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what happens when you assume .... I am spoiled by WAZE and Google Maps ..

Thanks for the tips, I have all that stuff running correctly.

Thanks again neoshi

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Haha me too. I'm actually tempted to run my Nexus 7 on a windshield mount tethered to my phone so I can get better navi. None of that stupid prediction crap that tries to navigate me to somewhere across the country because the HERE road and POI database Acura is using is so poorly updated.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Haha me too. I'm actually tempted to run my Nexus 7 on a windshield mount tethered to my phone so I can get better navi. None of that stupid prediction crap that tries to navigate me to somewhere across the country because the HERE road and POI database Acura is using is so poorly updated.
I've said this before,I use a Garmin pnd on long trips.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It's not the greatest system in the world but it's not 'horrific'. It actually mostly does what it needs to do. I've used it on coast to coast trips and haven't found a dire need for an aftermarket Nav to supplement it and I'm referring to the Nav in the 2014 which was, I think, improved for the 2015/2016 so yours s/b better than the one mine has.

OP - the system can actually do most of the items you stated that caused you to characterize it as 'horrific'. You need to spend some time reading the Nav manual and playing with the system and maybe doing some settings. I find it easiest to read the Nav as a file on my laptop. The manual can be downloaded from the Acura website.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not the greatest system in the world but it's not 'horrific'. It actually mostly does what it needs to do. I've used it on coast to coast trips and haven't found a dire need for an aftermarket Nav to supplement it and I'm referring to the Nav in the 2014 which was, I think, improved for the 2015/2016 so yours s/b better than the one mine has.

OP - the system can actually do most of the items you stated that caused you to characterize it as 'horrific'. You need to spend some time reading the Nav manual and playing with the system and maybe doing some settings. I find it easiest to read the Nav as a file on my laptop. The manual can be downloaded from the Acura website.
mdxstang,
does your 2014 Nav system reroute you if traffic is bad? Never once in my 16 months of mine has it ever done it. And it is never accurate on "time remaining" for any drive longer than 10 minutes. I'd trade for the 16 Nav in a heartbeat. I fell like I was bait and switched byt the commercials about how some paths are meant to be beaten....Also never has mine ever shown any live traffic info that is accurate. But then again, I have the MDX from hell....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wonder if there is something regional about the mapping? Im in So California and I think the navigation works great. My only initial complaint was the voice telling me to turn, etc... but once I figured out to turn that off... smooth sailing. I suppose the only thing that gets frustrating is the (safety mandated) navigation in-put disabling when the car is moving... and the fact that I want to be able to enter the addresses a little faster than the system wants to accept my typing... Horrible? no. Typical that a car isn't as handy as an iPad with fast internet? yes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
does your 2014 Nav system reroute you if traffic is bad?
According to the Nav manual it does but note this - there's a setting as to whether to reroute or not and the default is 'off'. I suggest you check that setting for yours.

From a practical perspective, the 'traffic' in the 2014 is useless to me since the green/red traffic lines are so very narrow as to be virtually invisible. This was one of my complaints about the system and one that Acura actually improved retroactively but only offered the improvement for the 2015 and refuse to offer it for the 2014. I assume teh 2016 has the improvement in it already.

On top of that, I rarely rely on a Nav system to get me places. I went ahead and used it on some trips but on many of those trips there are either no reasonable alternate routes (on a freeway in a rural area) or I'd rather stick with the known route.

The system definitely reroutes automatically if I either miss a turn or choose to drive a different way but this reroute wouldn't be due to a heavy traffic situation.

I've never used or paid attention to 'time remaining' - I find that a fairly useless feature since I can usually easily do the math in my head for a time estimate. This obviously wouldn't include a heavy traffic situation.

On the routing - I don't always like the route the system picks and I think that aspect s/b improved but other systems aren't necessarily great on routing either - I've had a Garmin come up with some pretty poor routing choices as well.

The biggest issue with the Nav is this - "What you have if what you get" - i.e. don't expect there to be 'any' improvements in the way the system functions after the point in time you buy the vehicle. It's not like the apps we have on our smart phones that update themselves in not just maps (for free) but also bug fixes, enhancements, etc. The cell phone app providers know they need to continually improve their apps or else we consumers will simply switch to a different app/phone, but the vehicle manufacturers don't seem to care about that and basically stick us with whatever the system was at the time of manufacture. To illustrate, if I keep my iPhone for 3 years it'll end up with many updates to the Nav apps in that timeframe but for the 2014 MDX I have they offer 'no' enhancements, 'no' free map updates, and offered one bug fix update about a year after I bought it (a June 2013 build vehicle) and have just now come out with another bug fix update for it - i.e. that's 2 bug fix updates in 2 years along with no actual enhancements or free map updates. And even at this, some owners have encountered dealers balking at applying the updates. Luckily mine didn't balk when I did the first update around a year ago.

And while I'm on that subject, this Nav system is designed such that it requires a dealer to apply the bug fix updates, an expensive proposition for Acura, thus one of the likely top factors in them reducing the number of bug fix updates. It really would make more sense to have a system designed to either automatically update itself, such as our PCs do, or allow the user to apply the updates, as out phones do.

So you can see I'm not a number one fan of the system but from a realistic and fair perspective, it isn't 'horrific', does some of the items the OP was concerned about, and generally mostly does the job I expect of it (but my expectations are likely lower than some others here).

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't want the route to be automatically rerouted. My Garmin asks me if I want to be rerouted. It also tells me if I'm on the fastest route. However,when I have checked the traffic has been pretty accurate on the Acura.
Plus route changes,for lunch for example are easier on the Garmin. Where they are practically impossible on the Acura. Even for a passenger when moving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
According to the Nav manual it does but note this - there's a setting as to whether to reroute or not and the default is 'off'. I suggest you check that setting for yours.
i checked and mine is turned on. Just never does, despite living in one of the busiest cities in America. Another issue that Acura assures me "it does work, but it's "normal" if it doesn't"....what?!?!?

From a practical perspective, the 'traffic' in the 2014 is useless to me since the green/red traffic lines are so very narrow as to be virtually invisible. This was one of my complaints about the system and one that Acura actually improved retroactively but only offered the improvement for the 2015 and refuse to offer it for the 2014. I assume teh 2016 has the improvement in it already.
The 2015-2016 colors are amazing compared to the 2014, which even the dealer looked at mine and asked me why mine weren't on. Then the service guys showed him these tiny faint lines...the sales guy went, well I guess I won't be showing this on the used ones...this leads me alone to question horrific on the 16 what he would say about my piece of crap MDX from hell.

I've never used or paid attention to 'time remaining' - I find that a fairly useless feature since I can usually easily do the math in my head for a time estimate. This obviously wouldn't include a heavy traffic situation.
As I said i live in one of the most congested cities in the U.S. (Chicago) and it's comical when I'm sitting in traffic and my MDX tells me 14 min remaining and 10 miles , but my google maps tells me 45 min and 10 miles. Then Google will ask to reroute while the MDX just sits there and tells me "green" Paths ahead.

Your post was spot on for the updates, etc. Acura has us already and doesn't care really about the updating. I think for them they see the updating to mean buy a new Acura if you want that. I laughed when a dealer tried to talk me into a new one (despite only having mine for 16 months) because of the $10,000+ in warranties so far. But tback to this thread, o call the 2016 Nav horrific is hilarious. Heck the 2016 one looks and works light years better than the 2014, at least you can enter an address by voice and not have grandkids by the time you finish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Op , have u tried zooming in all the way? Becoz the street name won't show unless u zoom in all the way? To zoom in anf out, simply turn the control knob.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Op , have u tried zooming in all the way? Becoz the street name won't show unless u zoom in all the way? To zoom in anf out, simply turn the control knob.
Even when you zoom all the way in, it doesn't show most names because the names have set positions on the road. You actually see more zooming out to about 1/4, but then you lose detail. In summary, if you wanted to see the name of the upcoming road, good luck.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 with Tech and have the Acura link running. The Nav System reminds me of cars I had in 2008 when the option was 3,000 bucks.

No road names
No road colors that represent traffic
No automatic rerouting suggestion
3 different places to go to do change settings
Awful street level nav

Does anybody know if they plan to issue an software update?

Thanks
You should have seen the 14 Nav.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To clarify, it does reroute when you miss a turn, it does not reroute for traffic. The reason I am so stuck on it I travel 46 miles to work and on any given day a different route will be the fastest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to be constructive not just complain

I found a setting it is called 3d. It changes the angle of the street view from flat to many degrees of tilt. That made the traffic lines more useful.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
it does not reroute for traffic
- Do you have the setting for traffic rerouting set to 'On'? The default setting is 'Off'.

- Do you have the traffic lines on the map such that the Acuralink is enabled and working okay? This is where the traffic info comes from.

Note - I'm basing the above on the 2014 Nav - I haven't read the manual for the 2016.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts