Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been lucky with my MDX since I brought it. I've been getting 17mpg average between city and highway driving with OEM Michelin tires.

Now this wasn't the case in the beginning. After I purchased the car, I replaced the spark plugs with OEM plugs, cleaned the MAP sensor, make sure my tire pressure was at recommended PSI before I drive off. Lightly press on the gas and cruise at 55mph whenever I can. And most importantly I use shell premium gas. I don't know why, but shell gas seem to run my car smooth as butter when I accelerate and gets pretty decent mpg and last longer between fill up. I drive 50-80 miles a day average. Lately I've been getting worse mpg and I think I know why. I need new o2 sensors, and I have an air leak somewhere I can't pin point the exact location (probably somewhere near the intake manifold).

I would check these things.

1. Spark plugs,
2. Dirty MAP sensor
3. Air filter
4. Tire and tire pressure
5. O2 sensors
6. Air leak
7. Few other things...others have mentioned.
8. Try different brand of gas

And go easy on the pedal.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I second the 'try different brands of gas'.
Mine loves vp, get a repeatable 2-3 mpg bump when i can find it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if you need the 3rd row, but in an 07, they come out easy with 6 bolts, still looks clean under them.
Doubt loosing 70lbs is going to help much in a 4500lb car, but i needed the space, more than the seats.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My fuel trim is much leaner after I added some Lucas fuel cleaner.

AFTER

BEFORE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have had four MDXs and my 2011 Advance had the worst gas mileage of the four, so I don't know if there is much you can do about it. I got a combined 17 mpg and my recollection is that the city mileage was generally 11-13.

As for Seafoam I use it in high mileage vehicles and it worked. I first started using Seafoam in the gas for my 2 stroke outboard motor. Bought the boat used and motor ran very rough. Mechanic told me it was carbon build up and to shock it with twice recomended mix of Seafoam and run boat wide open. Worked like a charm and I have been using it ever since.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts