Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sea foam is a scam!
100%

My fuel trims looks great but the city gas mileage is horrible. Any idea what’s going on?
Pretty normal for me as well for daily trips. I drive very short trips, I fully stop at all stop signs and on red before turning right and I always warm up the engine. City day to day mileage doesn't matter as much, though, as highway driving at 25 MPG levels it to 17 average MPG.

What's your B mileage? I don't know your driving habits, but I know people who like to live really on the edge with imported second gen MDXs in Russia and Ukraine (hard startups from every street light, "checker games" on highways, racing, etc), these people get 8-9 MPG on average (B). I mean, it's a 2 tonn seven seater with a 3.7L V6 engine, so yeah.

·
Registered
297 Posts
seafoam = snake oil!!! I took a 2 stroke piston & head that had carbon on them and soaked them in seafoam for 24 hrs it did absolutely nothing, then i heated the seafoam with a hot plate to 140 degrees and soaked it for another 24 hrs again it did absolutely nothing didnt even loosen the carbon SEAFOAM AINT NOTHING BUT SNAKE OIL!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My fuel trims looks great but the city gas mileage is horrible. Any idea what’s going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine was about the same from 2011 to 2019. Terrible. Around town, stop and go traffic 99% of the time. Used a couple of bottles of Redline fuel cleaner last year and it did get better went to about 14mpg. Much better on highway trips too. Try it and see?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Frictional Loses:
-Brakes Hanging up?
-Under Inflated tires
-Are you carrying a full load: extra weigh in the trunk?

·
Registered
77 Posts
How old is your trans/xfer case/diff fluids?
Mine is picky about fuel brands, saw 26 steady using vp, and i was hauling a55 down interstate, usually get 24 city/highway mixed, with mid tier stuff from wallyworld.
Phillips 76 from Talladega= [email protected]+mph all the way to Memphis.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know I am not the only one getting 11 MPG in the city. Actually I am more than just normal city driving; I do uber in the city with stop and go. 95% of my driving is in the city doing uber. My highway mileage is not so bad getting around 22 MPG.

AcuraAddicted. I used TRIP B mileage counter for oil change purpose. I reset it every 10k miles which it is time to change oil.
TRIP A I reset every day for my uber mileage.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Actually I am more than just normal city driving; I do uber in the city with stop and go.
Oh, so that explains it. When I did Uber with my MDX back in 2015-2016 (until the City of Toronto set up regulations for all Uber cars to be not older than 7yo, so my 2008 was as of the regulations were implemented in 2016.), my average (B) shot to 13 MPG.

Stay strong, brother!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, so that explains it. When I did Uber with my MDX back in 2015-2016 (until the City of Toronto set up regulations for all Uber cars to be not older than 7yo, so my 2008 was as of the regulations were implemented in 2016.), my average (B) shot to 13 MPG.

Stay strong, brother!
Doing Uber and Lyft is taking a toll on my X. I am always proactive in preventative maintenance. I don’t like doing Uber/Lyft at ALL!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Doing Uber and Lyft is taking a toll on my X.
Yes, it does. It did on mine, but considering our horrible pothole riddent Toronto roads and cold winters it took the beating pretty well, I must say.

I don’t like doing Uber/Lyft at ALL!
Who does? I'm with you on that. It wasn't good 5 years ago, and I know it's much worse now, with the market saturated by thousands of new drivers with new cars (!!!) and prices reduced by Uber.

The only good thing I found with Uber (Lyft wasn't in TO 5 years ago yet) was writing off a lot of vehicle expenses as a self employed. Because I had (and still have) a full time job, this allows for some additional tax return from the taxes my full time employer paid.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine was about the same from 2011 to 2019. Terrible. Around town, stop and go traffic 99% of the time. Used a couple of bottles of Redline fuel cleaner last year and it did get better went to about 14mpg. Much better on highway trips too. Try it and see?
Does redline fuel cleaner is better than Techron fuel cleaner?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
It's cold...you're probably idling more and the A/C is probably cycling more for defrosting. You get 0mpg when idling so that blows your average in a hurry. If your highway mpg is normal there's nothing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plug your dipstick back in. Lol.

But seriously, whereabouts are you driving? Like the poster above said, if it's really cold your mpg will be pretty bad. I always see a few mpg difference average from summer to winter.
I plugged the dipstick back after installing with a balloon on the dipstick tube and see no pressure buildup in the crankcase. The balloon didn’t get inflated or created any vacuum. That rule out the PCV ventilation is OK. I am driving uber in the city and constantly stopping at a traffic lights and traffic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes Redline is the best fuel cleaner but difficult to find, though you can order it on Amazon.

Have you checked the air fuel ratio sensor?
Have you switched to lower octane fuel thinking you were going to save money?
Have you changed the plugs?
Did you check the air filter?
Did you check the oxygen sensor?
Have you checked to make sure your valves are properly adjusted? ( you should have a vacuum and a compression test done). Acura uses a adjustable valve system, which about every 100,000 to 125,000 miles these need to be adjusted, usually the Acura garage will check each time you take in it to see it will be needing this maintenance service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts