Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our X last week love it. However for what ever reason I blew the horn on the way home and shoot...... It sounds wimpy to me. Did not sound as impressive as outr 99 TL that we traded. Maybe I will go to junkyard and dig one out of an old cadillac. Those things were like trains. Suggestions???
Or am in nuts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Totally agree with you. That's why I replaced my horns as soon as I purchased my 'X'. I bought the Hella horn and it is LOUD!!!

Here's the pic of the final install of the horn. It's those 2 round red thingy behind the bumper. If interested I can post more install pics and instructions.

Attachments

·
681 Posts
Horn Replacement Question

I don't particularly mind the sound of the horn but I have toyed with the idea of honoring my X's name (RoadRunner) with a roadrunner Meep Meep horn which are available on Ebay. They were originally made for the long-ago Plymouth car of the same name - so they are hardly current technology. Being a total mechanical nimnod I was afraid of screwing up the electronics. Is that a danger? What specs should the horn have?
I'd appreciate help form my more mechanically literate bretheran.

Meep Meep (hopefully someday)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok. Got the pictures at home so I'll post tonight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheetos,
How much was the horn you bought. Must they be mounted in full view or under. Thanx:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is a pic behind the bumper on the passenger side. My ‘X” was basically a baby (2 days old) when I had to rip out the bumper to install the lower trim. Since the bumper was out, I decided to replaced the “wimpy” OEM horns with 2 brands (Hella and Bosch). Removing the bumper was surprisingly easy. I would recommend asking someone to hold the other end for you when removing and installing. It is fairly light probably about 20-30 lbs.

I like the Bosch horns for it’s classy sound (I believe this was at one time an OEM for MBs) but I also like the Hella for it’s sporty and LOUD sound. Couldn’t decide what to install so I just decided to put them both and have a switch so I can change it anytime I want. I know this may be “overkill” but I just can stand those OEM horns. Besides, this also being used by the alarm so I'mm sure it will attract attention when it sounds off.

On this pic is the Bosch horn which exactly fits the original OEM horn location which BTW is on both sides behind the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here’s a closer view of the mounting bolt for the horn.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is behind the bumper on the driver side. Each horn has it’s own harness but I did not use the harness on the driver side since I have a central source of power coming from the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here’s a closer view on the driver side.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is how the switch looks like behind the inside fender wall. Though this is well protected by the inner wheel well plastic, I still insulated it well with weatherproof tapes.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I temporarily mounted the switch on the passenger side next to the fuse box. I’ll be moving it inside the next time I run a wire through the fire wall (wires for external fog/driving lamps, 4 AWG wire for radio, amp, monitor, etc.)

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Front with view of the Hella horns. Wanted the Hella horns in full view to have maximum sound dispersal. I had these Hellas installed behind bumpers and still sound good. In fact I could have installed it in the OEM locations if not because of the Bosch.

BTW the Hella horns cost around $69 in Griots but I’m sure you can get it cheaper in the internet

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Full view of the Hella horns

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Closer view with the custom bracket from Home depot. I could have gotten away without the bracket but since I wanted an unobstructed view, I opted to make this bracket.

That’s it’s. Hope this will be helpful.

RRunner – I think it should be OK. Just be sure use an additional dedicated fuse to be on the safe side.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Cheetos,
You are the man, Double Horns. Wow and i thought I was the only one thinking the horn was weak. One question, did not even get a chance to look under hood yet, but can I take out OEM horn and replace with Bosch with out taking off front fender. I hope so> Thanx for positing all the pic's and splainin, it was great.
:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Neicho,

Yes it is possible by removing the plastic inner fender well and reaching in to remove and replace the OEM horns. I still think it would be easier to remove the bumper then you will have full access to the mounting locations. Believe me, the bumper is so easy to remove because it is mostly held in place by clips. Also there will be more screws and clips to take out if you go through the inner fender well. To remove bumper, you just need to remove 7 clips and 6 screws. Check out Tim's instruction

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/instructions/mdx/BumperTrim.pdf

Good luck!!:cool:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
4 Participants
Cheetos
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing