·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had my 2006 MDX Touring in for several things:

1) Airbag recall
2) Replace outside temperature sensor
3) major fluids replacement

Within 24 hours of this work, my horn started blaring without being pressed while driving. I removed the fuse for it. Chatted with the dealership - they think it's unrelated to the airbag replacement. Not sure I believe that, since the horn & airbag are co-located.

I left the fuse out for several days. Then tried to put it back. It just got worse. Anyone else experience this? I'm taking it back to the dealer to fix, but I'm mad that after spending $1200 for a bunch of service this is happening. :confused::mad:

Additionally, now my cruise control doesn't work. That may simply be a fuse replacement (which I'll try to fix before I go over).:mad:

Anyone experience any funny electricals after the airbag fix??

Love this forum. It got me on the right track & saved me $250 when I did the water pump/timing belt replacement...:cool:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sounds like they messed up the "clock spring" (the device that transfers all the contacts on your wheel to the wiring harness) when they did the airbag replacement. You really need to talk to the manager / supervisor and let them know that you expect them to correct this. It's way (!) too much of a coincidence that two steering wheel control items would go south immediately after they have the wheel apart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes I have a similar problem, my volume and mode/channel buttons are not working after the airbag recall. I called my service advisor and was told that its costly to fix and had nothing to do with the airbag recall, I'm afraid to try the cruise control because I haven't used it since the recall fix and I hope that it'll work right!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The radio controls, cruise controls, and (possibly most important) the driver's airbag controls all go through the "cable reel" (others call them "clock springs" because of the way they look like ... a clock spring). Sure, it could be a wild coincidence that something in the cable reel failed at the precise moment the tech was in there pulling and prodding the wiring harness... or more likely, the simplest explanation is most likely correct - that the tech stressed something, or maybe even forgot to plug something back in.

That said, I've never had my airbag out, or looked at what's involved in swapping one out. It could be that there's not that much opportunity to mess up other portions of the cable reel circuit when "just" swapping out the driver's airbag. I'd recommend doing some searches on this issue and try to find some similar issues, and see how they were ultimately fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently had my 2006 MDX Touring in for several things:

1) Airbag recall
2) Replace outside temperature sensor
3) major fluids replacement

Within 24 hours of this work, my horn started blaring without being pressed while driving. I removed the fuse for it. Chatted with the dealership - they think it's unrelated to the airbag replacement. Not sure I believe that, since the horn & airbag are co-located.

I left the fuse out for several days. Then tried to put it back. It just got worse. Anyone else experience this? I'm taking it back to the dealer to fix, but I'm mad that after spending $1200 for a bunch of service this is happening. :confused::mad:

Additionally, now my cruise control doesn't work. That may simply be a fuse replacement (which I'll try to fix before I go over).:mad:

Anyone experience any funny electricals after the airbag fix??

Love this forum. It got me on the right track & saved me $250 when I did the water pump/timing belt replacement...:cool:
I have an 03 MDX. After the air bag was replaced due to a recall I started have issues with the horn. The horn comes on when the steering wheel is pulled in a certain spot. It also comes on sometimes when I hit a bump in the road; when the steering wheel vibrates excessively due to the air conditioning being on and sometimes when the driver side door is slammed. Has anyone else experienced these type of problems and how did you get it resolved ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts