Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(To save your time open img for fix) or read on...So the first thing i noticed on my drive home after buying my 2010 mdx /134k miles is the hood on the highway (over 55mph) appeared to be un latched.. it bounced the entire ride home. When i got home i went to shut the hood.. it was already latched tight.. o..k... i googled the issue with a few people saying they had the issue with no fix.. and a few said they didnt notice it until reading others talk about it.. then they noticed theirs bouncing on the highway... look at your washer nozzles while on the highway.. they are more noticable than the painted surface of the hood.. anyway.. i tried adjusting my latch down and the bump stops.. no matter what position the hood still flutters in the wind (raises up like its catching on the safty latch/catch) anyway i finally grabbed the latch hook on the hood and gave it a tug.. it moves ALOT. Ok wtf? So thinking i had some broken welds in the hood structure i removed the felt hood liner and saw that Honda does not weld the skeleton to the skin.. they use some kind of foam bond. Anyway.. all of the bond was separated/cut causing the hood skin to take off like an airplane in the wind while the skeleton remains latched....

The Fix.. remove the felt liner carefully using trim tools to remove the clips.. they are a Christmas tree design but can be a bear to get out without damaging the felt. I used a pair of pliers that act as a spreader. Panel poper pliers... like $7 at harbor freight. Then purchase some RTV silicone. Make sure its high temp as the hood can reach almost 200F. (In certain conditions) dont use the red exhaust rtv.. it stinks to hell and does not dry all the way. Just get 3 tubes of cheapo high temp rtv.. i used cardboard to separate the skin from skeleton. Be careful here! Bending/denting the hood is easy. Do not use epoxy or expanding anything! Slightly separate skin from skeleton and put the rtv in between.. you can follow the already there but failed Honda glue leftovers. I did not try and remove the old stuff.. anyway works great! Even at 115 mph the hood is rock solid! (On a test corse in the desert on Mars ofcourse!)

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
yea theres a tsb covering all this with pictures and a PN for the adhesive acura recommends. my hood was doing the same its solid now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep you are right. Im now finding this has been covered multiple times. Seems like back in 07 and 08 people were having issues with brand new 07-08 mdx with next to no miles.. you would think by 2010 Honda would have figured it out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I fixed the hood of my X two years ago. It has been good until recently I noticed the flapping is slowly coming back. I checked the seams in the hood and some are cracked already. Sometime in the summer I will remove all glue and reapply it. This time I will make sure I clean the hood and seams thoroughly. Perhaps this way the glue will last longer.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
BTW, I recently had a case when I was traveling about 250 miles, and when I stopped for some coffee, before going to get it, I popped the hood to check something and when I got coffee, I forgot I popped it and drove away. Only 30 minutes later at highway speeds I noticed how the hood was jumping up and down. Pretty scary, I was expecting it to open and break away. Unfortunately there was no shoulder to stop at express, so I slowed down to 60 mph and carefully exited as soon as possible. To my surprise the hood was held firmly by the latch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts