Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it took me a hellava long time to shoot these, but if your're still interested, here are the closeups of hood thing installed. Notice the clear strips they provide for protection from the hardware. This is the FormFit model. It's already saved me a couple times when offroad from debri.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I just ordered mine from Tim last week. Your pics will definitely help.

How would it look on a black MDX? Think it is even noticeable?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gumballs

Don't know this but your gumballs are upside down. The are suppose to be stuck to the hood of the car. The way you have them they could rub the paint off your hood.:eek:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YoYo, They are stuck to the hood, and there's adhesive only on one side.

When ya tighten down, they crinkle just a bit. I believe I got it right !

My paint is perfect, but thanks for yur concern.

BTW, have you ever installed one yourself, or are you just going by my pics?

·
Registered
217 Posts
GTO

Not sure, but Yo-Yo may be right looking at Pic. The part he is talking about is not the clear film where the black spacer mounts goes, but the clear "rubbery-plastic" (technical term) balls. You should have two of them, one goes on each side, a little from the middle. These balls are usually stuck to the hood. If on the deflector, they move in contact with car as wind hits and will wear paint over time. When the adhesive side is on the hood, they rub against the deflector but stay put on hood side. Sure looks in pic like they are reversed. Might want to take a look

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess maybe they are upside down, but I dont see how the paint will rub off too easily. Deflector is pretty secure, so i doubt it makes any difference. Not gonna reinstall. Besides, who says that if you ever decide to remove the gumballs that the adhesive wont pull up the paint on the correct config. I felt safer installing this way. Adhering the BSM's was nervous enough with the adhesive material. It's all good anyway you install and not too critical. Thanks for your input, BTW, I wasnt calling you a Yo Yo, just trying to get your attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
GTO,

Your MDX looks awesome. I can't wait to get home. Away on a business trip this week. My deflector should be there by then. Have to go pick up my full size spare (touring package) this weekend from another member.

I feel a connection seeing my rim under your truck. Don't worry, I'm not getting "mushy".

Mush

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Nice Plates

gto-dave,

Those plates really complement the a great looking X!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
gto-dave
Your "X" looks great.
Did you do anything with the tires?
That rear-shot of your "X" gives the impression that you may have put extra wide tires on. Is that true?
-vmishra

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got a Formfit from Tim.. looks great. Instructions say stick the bumps adhesive side on the paint. I did it, but admit I'm nervous about it. But it does say the other way will rub some paint off.. but heck, just leave it on forever.

01 / nav / deflector / hitch / mats / etc.
64 Porsche 356C

·
Registered
217 Posts
4Mel,

The bumps are held on with the 3M adhesive. If you ever need to take them off, just heat them good using a hair dryer or similar and the glue will loosen up. You can then pull right off, no paint damage, but will need to clean with alcohol and wax up. 3M also makes a product that dissolves the glue as an alternative.....no need to worry on damage. A third way, as I learned on a previous car, is park it in Las Vegas, mid summer, in direct sun while you gamble. The glue ran out from under the bumps, and they were on the ground. (the bumps were not covered by deflector in that application though, Tim's should not have that problem)

Nice car--the 356C

·
Registered
29 Posts
mcclendons,

Thanks for the tips - I'll save them if ever the time comes to remove the bumpers. Heat usually works on most adhesives to soften it up for removal - I warm up product stickers to get those off without leaving a residue.

Boxsters are pretty nice too.. I only drive my 356 once a month or so. I like your choice of car colors (the 356 is red - of course; and our MDX is GG).

4mel

:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts