Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard that the S2000 now comes with phase II HIDs. The car is fast as the exotics, has style, convertible top, and can be driven every day. This is my choice in affortable (around $30K) sports cars hands down.
The problem is why is the S2000 sold under Honda and not Acura? Isn't Acura's main competition BMW? The S2000 in the Acura line up would destroy BMW's, Z series (those little ugly "Bond" cars.) The S2000 gets twice the looks. Another problem is placing the low end RSX in the Acura lineup. I read on the CL forum that the RSX is a step down from the Integra. In my opinion the RSX should be sold under Honda because it does not help Acura because it cost way less then all the other Acuras and has no competative value for a high end manufacturer. The RSX should be targeted at the Celica and Cougar. A switch needs to be made and while at it swith the names of the 2 cars as well. This just doesn't make any sense, can someone defend Honda's current layout?:confused:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Jason-

I think I can explain...Each manufacturer had the idea that each should have a NICHE car for the line up. Acura with the NSX and Honda with which was the HONDA DEL SOL...and now the S2000. The reason why Honda phased out the Del Sol is that even though its a niche sporter...It did not have the umph and performance that Honda drivers want in a two door roaster...So Honda decided to build the S2000 in the beginning of the millenium. This not only meet the Honda drivers expectations as far as a FAST high performance sports car but also meet the prior owners of del sol who also wanted the open air feel of a convertible...TRUST me...HONDA did not MESS UP.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
while the S2000 may have came when the del Sol went...

...the S2000 is way more of car than del Sol, and is closer to a Z3.

Having said that, I don't think I'd move the RSX or S2000. Both are OK where they are. Regular Honda stores ought to have something to attract excitement, and the RSX gives Acura good buzz among "tuners".

It would be smart to have a more luxury type open top car at Acura, given that the NSX is more of "supercar". Given enough time I'm sure something will be cooked up.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You know what I like to see from Acura in their line up is-

Totally revamp the NSX. That design is REALLY old. Manufacture a convertible RSX with beefier engine.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2002 NSX has lots of good changes including a face lift, HID lamps, bigger rims, less weight and drag. The 2003 NSX will be totally revamped, I heard in the $125,000+ range.

·
Registered
619 Posts
the s2000 is supposed to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Honda's engine production. That why it was launched as a Honda. Also, remember, that in the rest of the world, there is no Acura(only in North America). Actually, your opinions are opposite of most HONDA enthusiats. I know of a few nsx/integra owners who have removed the A symbol on their cars with H symbols. They are proud of their vehicle's Honda heritage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
MDXLuvr
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing