Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that we're closed today. THREE FEET of the %$#@ snow fell last night, and although my driveway is passable, the dealership is not. After about 45 minutes, I made it in with a 6' snowdrift in front of the dealership. Not driving a bulldozer, I had to turn around and head home, upon which time the wiper transmission in the wife's car (last in the drive) broke, and I had to hang my head outside in a blizzard to make it home. I'm cold, wet, and tired and now I hafta go out and work on her car AND the snowblower which broke last night. So if you are having a sunny day with 70 degree temps today, thank your highest power for it!!!

The police are turning people away and now there are driving bans all over the city. And we're going to get another 2 feet of snow before tomorrow. %$#&$!!!!! :mad: :mad: If you subscribe to the Weather Channel, watch it, because they are doing live feeds from our beautiful %$#@ city.

So, I'll be on my home computer as I can throughout the day to see what's going on. If you have any questions, email me with your phone number and I can call you from here.

&%(#%$!!!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tim,

Sorry to hear about the weather. I say make the best of it and have some fun. Some Hot Chocolate, sit by the window with the wifey, and enjoy the beautiful view.

Guess we will be getting it here soon down in Long Island. Will have to put the MDX to the test then. Maybe I'll use the wifes Subaru since a lot of drivers are crazy down here.

I agree with you - everyone with the nice sunny and warm weather, enjoy it and have a good laugh on us.

Mush

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tim, believe it or not, but I'm kinda JEALOUS!! All we have is frost on the ground. What's the fun in being home on vacation if you can't enjoy being snowed in! Stop hogging all the snow and send some my way. :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tim, sorry to hear of all the snow up North. Recently got down to southern Florida for the winter, and unfortunately, do not anticipate using the 4WD of the new MDX.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey Tim, please send some of that stuff my way, I'd love to try out my 'X in some snow. BTW, this morning on my way to work the outside temp was forty something, and I noticed that the heat (set on autopilot) didn't come on right away. It didn't come on for a couple of miutes so I guess the computer waits for the engine to heat up the air enough before it bothers to start pumping anything into the cabin? I wonder if it does the same thing if you put on the heat manually? Another thing I noticed was on Christmas Eve we went for a drive at night to see some lights in the neighborood. I turned off the trip computer screen and dimmed the dash lights all the way so as to minimize interior glare. When my wife hit the fan button, the trip computer screen came on auutomatically for a few seconds, presumably so we could see the fan setting, then it went back out. I thougt it was a nice touch :)

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a demo. I drive a '90 Civic with 115,000 miles. Buying an MDX would just stretch the budget a bit too much right now.

Well, let me share with you my "relaxing" day. My son is sick, and he won't stop moaning and crying. Late last night as I was working on snowblowing my neighbor's driveway, one of the wheels on my snowblower almost came off :eek:. Luckily he had a finishing nail and a pair of pliers to get me back home through the snow as my cotter pin had come out. The worst part about it was that I had lost a vital 3/4" washer on the wheel to make the left wheel's drive mechanism engage. And, in the process, I had rounded out the teeth on the gear cog.

So this morning, I searched frantically for a washer of this size to no avail, so staring around my garage, I found the perfect solution.....my bike! I could take apart the crank and steal the end washer out of the bearing assembly and get the snowblower running again! The problem was that the pedal wouldn't come off, so I fired up the air compressor and used the cutoff wheel to cut the pedal off the crank arm. This took me about 15 minutes, then I took apart the wheel and cut new straight angles on all of the teeth that had rounded off to drive the left wheel. Put her back together, and after re-cleaning the spark plug, I was out again and blowing snow. Thank God for Carhartt body suits :D

It's right now coming down at the rate of about 3" an hour.....at this rate I may not be back in until after the New Year! Storm totals are predicted to be about 7 feet of snow total. For those of you in warmer climates, 10" of snow = 1" of rain.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Website down

Not to makes matter worse, it appears www.hondacuraworld.com website is down.

Hope things go ok.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not true. The site is up and running.

Tim, I saw the pretty Buffalo scenes on CNN this morning. The roads chief tells that they will be able to handle this. I hope so too. Good Luck. Did you ever consider relocating to Florida, or California. No SNOW where you live, but a lot to play with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
GatorGreg said:
Hey Tim, please send some of that stuff my way, I'd love to try out my 'X in some snow. BTW, this morning on my way to work the outside temp was forty something, and I noticed that the heat (set on autopilot) didn't come on right away. It didn't come on for a couple of miutes so I guess the computer waits for the engine to heat up the air enough before it bothers to start pumping anything into the cabin?
Nope, engine heat (specifically the heated coolant) is what runs through the heater core, thereby providing you with heat in the cabin. If your engine is cold, it will take a while before you get cabin heat as well. Some cars are a lot faster than others in this (i.e. you get cabin heat 30 seconds after startup, despite freezing temperatures), mainly because there has been work in reducing cold start emissions, which are the worse, by quickly warming up the engine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Drew said:

Nope, engine heat (specifically the heated coolant) is what runs through the heater core, thereby providing you with heat in the cabin. If your engine is cold, it will take a while before you get cabin heat as well. Some cars are a lot faster than others in this (i.e. you get cabin heat 30 seconds after startup, despite freezing temperatures), mainly because there has been work in reducing cold start emissions, which are the worse, by quickly warming up the engine.
Thanks Drew, not sure why you said "nope" cuz unless I'm missing something you just confirmed my assumption. That is, because it cannot generate hot air during the initial warm up, the climate control computer won't bother to start pumping ANY air into the cabin. Since the 'X is my first car with auto climate control, I'm used to cars pumping in cold air with the heat on during initial warm up, with the air gradually becoming hot as the engine warms up. It kinda freaked me out for a minute when I didn't feel any air (cold or otherwise) coming into the cabin this morning, thought I was gonna freeze to death :p But then GG Jr. decided to open the rear window anyway on the way to Grandma's :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
GCK,

The site was down when I checked it. So it is true. Maybe not anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might have helped somewhat....here is a shot of my Honda which had not a flake on it when I parked it in the drive yesterday afternoon. Now, this is NOT a drift....there's barely any wind. This pretty much represents actual snowfall in my driveway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GCK said:
Did you ever consider relocating to Florida, or California. No SNOW where you live, but a lot to play with.
Almost daily. If it wasn't for family ties, I'd be out of here faster than you can say "lake effect". ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
MDX in Buffalo

Hi All,
I was watching the news in Indiana tonight about the snow in Buffalo. You could see the many feet of snow in the background with the announcer stating that there were not very many people out because it was too tough to get around. To my pleasent surprise what doesn't drive by but a silver MDX!! Our favorite vehicle seemed to have NO problems. Cool!

·
Registered
14 Posts
MDX Defeats Winter

Ken,

I saw that same report on the p.m. news here in the Pacific NW
and the streets were literally deserted with but two vehicles
moving-----a city police car and you are right, the other was a
MDX like my SS! How sweet it is!

·
Registered
619 Posts
you guys crack me up. anyways, i hope you are safe Tim, and maybe u can get a few days away from us.

just to make u a little jealous.... i am in houston visiting my family, and i believe there was a little frost on the ground from last night. today, it was perfectly sunny 70 degrees, the LOW tonight is supposed to be 50, but i do hear some thunder.

cya(wouldn't wanna be ya):D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
you guys crack me up. anyways, i hope you are safe Tim, and maybe u can get a few days away from us.

just to make u a little jealous.... i am in houston visiting my family, and i believe there was a little frost on the ground from last night. today, it was perfectly sunny 70 degrees, the LOW tonight is supposed to be 50, but i do hear some thunder.

cya(wouldn't wanna be ya):D
Gloat now, but let's see what you'll be saying come July when we're in 40% or less humidity while you are at 95%+!:p :p

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update

I just ended up walking a couple miles in the snow after snowblowing to get bread and milk for the family. We got another 18" by this morning, so this brings our total snowfall up to 73" as of this morning, and it's still snowing. That's 73" in 48 HOURS. This is the highest snowfall total ever in Buffalo, and now has set a record for the month. We only had .5" of snow up until now.

The wife and I just moved everything out of the enclosed back porch in case of collapse....I couldn't physically get through to get in with a snow rake to clear any off. The snow blower is now burning oil like a furnace, but I just clean the chunky spark plug off every time I go out, fill it up, and off I go.

Wonder who that silver 'X belonged to? How ironic though.

We had sceduled a loader to come into the dealership this morning at 7:30, but it never made it in.....and neither did I. I woke up at 5:30 am to see the previously cleared cars in my driveway buried once again.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
25 Participants
sickk21
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing