Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AT BRAKING.

got your attention!:D

I was looking at the July MotorTrend. The MDX and most other Honda/Acura vehicle SUCK at braking when compared to other vehicles in their class.

The 'X took 139 ft to go from 60-0 mph. The RX300 did it in 132ft. The X5 in 124ft. Heck even the Land Rover and the ML were better.:mad:

Then I compared other Honda/Acura vehicles - all except the NSX/S2000 were last or next to last in their class.

I have read this complaint about Honda in many car mags. Why can't Honda make decent brakes?:(

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
good point........

I agree with that MDXLuvr :4:

The RX stops very quickly and I am disappointed with the MDX's braking. I guess until a top Honda exec is in a bad car wreck (from poor braking), or enough customers complain to Honda..........nothing will change!

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
We can change our brakes. Im planning on that upgrade as soon as I get more info.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warzau said:
We can change our brakes
I'm sorry, but a $40k+ vehicle should have good brakes as standard equipment.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
AT BRAKING.

got your attention!:D

I was looking at the July MotorTrend. The MDX and most other Honda/Acura vehicle SUCK at braking when compared to other vehicles in their class.

The 'X took 139 ft to go from 60-0 mph. The RX300 did it in 132ft. The X5 in 124ft. Heck even the Land Rover and the ML were better.:mad:

Then I compared other Honda/Acura vehicles - all except the NSX/S2000 were last or next to last in their class.

I have read this complaint about Honda in many car mags. Why can't Honda make decent brakes?:(
I think overall the brakes are excellent for the MDX, especially being four wheel disc. Usually drum brakes in rear give you a hard pedal and disc is usually a softer pedal. I believe for the size of the mdx being wider and larger than the other two it's braking power is excellent. You could alway replace the rotors with heavy duty vented rotors which would give you a shorter stopping distance. I feel it's excellent for the size, width and weight. :4:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I might understand the RX300 braking in a shorter distance than the MDX, because the RX300 is lighter than the MDX. But the X5, ML320, and Land Rover mentioned above are heavier than the MDX, but they brake in shorter distances.

It's more than braking in a shorter distance, though. Most of the MDX's competitors have Brake Assist, which is designed to determine braking effort and effect, and will actually clamp down harder if necessary. Then there's that little step-out-of-the-tail that the MDX did while braking under Motor Week's test on dry pavement, which could be presumably worse in wet pavement.

Thus, I think the MDX's brakes are good, but, given the competition, they should be better. I certainly do not consider the MDX's braking excellent in its class.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul123- I feel that the MDX's braking is good, but definetly not excellent. Again, I don't drive like I am Michael Schumacher in the 'X. But, my question was- why is it that all Hondas have avg. or mediocore braking?

btw, regarding cross drilled rotors-check out THIS link(warining- u have to filter thru some childish behavior by men to get to the truth)

William- good point about the weight, and Brake Assist- but I don't think the Land Rover's come with BA?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Also when you increase msrp up to the levels of BMW and Land Rover, I have no doubt the the quality/Performance is much better than the MDX. They tend to use a high performance better caliper and better rotors also than the MDX. You must keep in mind the MDX is a mix of performance,luxury, and classy. The BMW is all performance. The Land Rover is basically using BMW parts. Different levels of comparison. I may be overstating that the brakes are excellent but IMO for the MDX being luxury, Performance and Class it is excellent. The competition doesn't have all the qualities of the MDX.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Well, most of us are far from even getting any kind of brake work done. When that happens, I am sure we might consider different pads with low-fade characteristics and better friction coeffecients. There are some good ones out there that are just more expensive than stock, but are reported to be very quiet, with maybe a bit harder pedal feel.
It's something worth researching. Braking is too critical to be ignored. Especially for those into regular towing or loading our X's up a lot for family outings and sporting endeavors.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
General coment

I feel the pedal is very hard. Another note I feel if I tried to lock up the brakes at a decent speed I would be able to throw myself threw the front window if I didn't have my seat belt on. This is a simple self test of mine which I did while shopping for different SUV's. I didn't want to have a soft pedal when I was making my comparisons, so I thought the MDX was very good. I've driven car in past that didn't nearly have the stopping power of this SUV. My 1983 Chevrolet Z-28 had four wheel disc and had the worst stopping power and lowest pedal I've ever seen. It was a first generation of the 4 wheel disc because they did get better with the addition of the IROC Z-28 was much better. I have the Z-28 Cross Fire Ignition, which was prior to the IROC. I have heard something about people having to replace power boosters on the MDX's. There might of been a thread or a TSB on it. They stated the pedal was lowering as they put more mileage and had the dealer replace the booster under the warranty. I wonder if you could be experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I was probably confusing a harder or more firm pedal with braking requiring more effort. Not always the same thing.
This is usually the characteristic of 'high performance' pads. One is a subjective feeling through the brake pedal, the other is simply applying more force.
In the early days it also meant noisier pads (the early mettalics) also. But great advances have been made in composition materials.
There is still some room I am sure for a manufacturer to select pads which are likely cheaper, meet minimum standards, and are quiet. But when it's time to do a change out we have the option to spend a little more and get more braking performance. I would not expect a huge difference but any improvement in such a vital area is always welcome.
It's not really different than upgrading tires, although within the stock size we have it is doubtful much improvement will be found. At least not in the immediate future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts