Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to decide between these two SUVs and wondering what you think about the pros and cons. I'm assuming that people shopping the Honda Pilot Elite are frequently shopping the MDX as the price ranges overlap at that tri 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2020m level. Are there certain options that would make you steer a customer one way or the other? Do you tend to make more profit on one model or the other? We were initially looking at the Pilot for the options and captains chairs in 2nd row, but the MDX did have some nicer touches and drive a bit smoother. It seems like the new Pilot sells fairly close to MSRP according to most data I've seen.
Of course, whichever one we decide on, I will plan to enter into serious negotiations for at least 1-2 hours to get the very lowest price available. I will then walk away and email that price to every dealership within 200 miles Solitaire to challenge them to beat that price.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you negotiate properly the dealer will end up making about the same either way (as in very little) and not that they care that much quite frankly. Dealer profits haven't been driven by the sales departments in over 30 years, instead the parts, service, and body shop are the profit centers. Naturally they don't sell Toyota parts at the Honda or Acura dealer, so selling the car is the important first step. Dealers holding out for sticker around me are unheard of and my local Honda dealer posts their pricing right on the website with their Elite models coming at a $3,900+ discount off sticker.

As for content, there isn't much difference between the Pilot Elite and an MDX with the tech pkg and there are still the Advance and A-Spec models above that, but even then there are package differences so you have to look close to see if the MDX model you are comparing,It's been a while since I shopped Acura compared to Honda, but ti used to be $7-8K difference to jump to Acura. Since I didn't buy my MDX new the cost was very similar between the two meaning if you plan to drive it forever it doesn't matter, but if you typically drive a car for 5-7 years and 100-120K miles the MDX will depreciate considerably more than the Pilot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts