Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called Acura recall center. They told me that you need to contact them about the oil burning issue. They will not issue a recall. They will fix the oil consumption issue if your car has less than 100k miles. I have 106k miles and I am not cover under this oil consumption extent warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I spoke with client care, they did confirm it’s out, dealers will first make you go through an oil consumption test to see eligibility, if it passes (above 1 litre per 1000km-Canada) they will tear the engine and fix the issue whether it be pistons or the head. I will post pic when I receive it officially in the mail.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with client care, they did confirm it’s out, dealers will first make you go through an oil consumption test to see eligibility, if it passes (above 1 litre per 1000km-Canada) they will tear the engine and fix the issue whether it be pistons or the head. I will post pic when I receive it officially in the mail.

Thanks. If they tear the engine apart to fix it I am afraid new problems will happen if they don’t assemble the engine back properly. It will be like open a can of worms. I have no confidence with these dealers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks. If they tear the engine apart to fix it I am afraid new problems will happen if they don’t assemble the engine back properly. It will be like open a can of worms. I have no confidence with these dealers.

this is very smart of you to think this way. right now you have a machine that works great. burns a little oil (1qt every 1k is not hard to deal with). just keep putting oil in it. its fine. rebuilding the engine could cause bigger headaches, especially when someone else does it for you because they dont care like you would.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is very smart of you to think this way. right now you have a machine that works great. burns a little oil (1qt every 1k is not hard to deal with). just keep putting oil in it. its fine. rebuilding the engine could cause bigger headaches, especially when someone else does it for you because they dont care like you would.

Yes sir! Mine is consuming 1/2 qt(0.4 to be exact ) per 1000 miles which it’s not eligible for this extended warranty( greater than 1 qt/622 miles) anyway. I have trip B to remind me to check and top off oil every 1000th mile

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes sir! Mine is consuming 1/2 qt per 1000 miles which it’s not eligible for this extended warranty( greater than 1 qt/622 miles) anyway.

I do and have pushed my engine to the limits in this car, probably why it’s consuming excessive oil lol. I always let engine warm up and drive slowly below 2500 .rpm until it warms up before driving heavy footed. But I would still do the oil consumption test in the winter as it tends to burn more oil in the colder climates. Also it’s a warranted by Acura so I can go back and fix anything they screwed up.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do and have pushed my engine to the limits in this car, probably why it’s consuming excessive oil lol. I always let engine warm up and drive slowly below 2500 .rpm until it warms up before driving heavy footed. But I would still do the oil consumption test in the winter as it tends to burn more oil in the colder climates. Also it’s a warranted by Acura so I can go back and fix anything they screwed up.

Please keep us updates after it has been fix. And good luck!

·
Registered
962 Posts

Agree 100%. Back in the 80's I was a Honda tech, and every tech in the shop knew how to rebuild engines because the first generation Accord had serious engine problems. Today, with greatly improved reliability, I'm willing to bet that less than half of the Honda, Acura, Toyota dealers have a tech who has the experience.

Subaru dealers, well that's another story......

·
Registered
187 Posts
Please keep us updates after it has been fix. And good luck!

Will do, dealerships haven’t called back since they don’t officially know what to do yet as apparently they don’t have the bulletin at the moment. I am gong to call them tomorrow and check the status. I will post what they fix and my service sheet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes sir! Mine is consuming 1/2 qt(0.4 to be exact ) per 1000 miles which it’s not eligible for this extended warranty( greater than 1 qt/622 miles) anyway. I have trip B to remind me to check and top off oil every 1000th mile

Try adding this stuff on your next oil change. It worked wonders in my old truck, and I think it's actually working in my 2010 mdx. I just went 500 miles and i dont see any oil loss at all, which before there clearly was. https://www.restoreusa.com/index.php

even then 1/2 a quart per 1k is fine. many cars burn around 1qt every 3k, and thats perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try adding this stuff on your next oil change. It worked wonders in my old truck, and I think it's actually working in my 2010 mdx. I just went 500 miles and i dont see any oil loss at all, which before there clearly was. https://www.restoreusa.com/index.php

even then 1/2 a quart per 1k is fine. many cars burn around 1qt every 3k, and thats perfectly normal.

I will give that a try. Just add this stuff before the oil need to be changed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got off the phone with Acura Customer Care (US). They claim there is no recall or warranty extension for this issue. Does anyone have more information?

·
Registered
161 Posts

The link made me think of Slick-50 from many years ago.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will give that a try. Just add this stuff before the oil need to be changed?

You might need to wait, in Canada they released it, just like the adaptive shocks warranty extension, it came to Canada first then the states after.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Amen! Based on my experience with a dealer that can't remove a trailer hitch without breaking something, I wouldn't let them anywhere near the internals of my engine. Even with the best technician, it'll never go back the same as the factory. My lexus had a recall done for the VVT actuator gear. Pretty soon thereafter, the valve covers started leaking oil into the spark plug wells. Beforehand, not a drop anywhere....

·
Registered
112 Posts
The link made me think of Slick-50 from many years ago.

no that stuff was just thick honey.... garbage

this is some weird metal enhancer... its thin and metallic blue... they say it fills in cracks in cylinder walls, and i believe it does. it doesnt gum up the engine or anything and i use it every oil change

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no that stuff was just thick honey.... garbage

this is some weird metal enhancer... its thin and metallic blue... they say it fills in cracks in cylinder walls, and i believe it does. it doesnt gum up the engine or anything and i use it every oil change

Trader, I purchased a small bottle. I think it is for a 4 cylinders engine. I added and I noticed the oil seem to be darker than before. I didn’t get to the the 6 cylinders bottle because it will over fill above the top line.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Trader, I purchased a small bottle. I think it is for a 4 cylinders engine. I added and I noticed the oil seem to be darker than before. I didn’t get to the the 6 cylinders bottle because it will over fill above the top line.

It's ok to go over the fill line by like a 1/4 inch or even more... But I also use the 4cyl bottle because it's cheaper and I don't think that extra little bit makes a difference. Don't worry about the oil color, just look to see if it burns less oil.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts