Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Second Impression

I saw a white one on the road today and liked it better than the gray one I first saw. . . but I think I like it for MDX-like qualities (width, for example) and because it was spotless and white.

The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it as a Honda vehicle. It's not meant to be daring or flashy, just very functional and reliable. Just look at the Accord; nothing about it gets your blood pumping, but it is an awesome (functional, safe, versatile, reliable, etc.) family sedan.

Theyll sell a ton of Pilots, I'm sure. It's and awesome (functional, safe, versatile, reliable, etc.) FUV -> Family Utility Vehicle. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I'm glad I've got my MDX instead simply due to the styling advantage.:p

(wish I had a DVD system for the kiddies, tho)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I spotted my first one Yesterday!

I had just gotten my front windows tinted and me and the wife were commenting on other SUV's on the road how some of the older models have darker tint in the driver and passenger windows than the newer models and what other SUV's have nice body shapes as compared to the MDX, when I spotted what I first thought was a newer CRV and commented on how that vehicle "I think it is a CRV, looks be the best one on the road compared to the MDX", but as we got closer it ended up being a new Black Pilot(with temporary plates). From the back the round tail lights looked nice, but the body shape is boxier like the other Honda SUVs. As we passed the vehicle and got a glimpse of the front it defintely looked like a Honda.

The driver immediately sped up to take a closer look at the MDX and gave us a thumbs up as we turned off the highway.

I liked the shape of the Pilot, but I am much happier with the MDX. What I especially liked about the pilot was its width, how it looked wider than the MDX and how the Honda Engineers squeezed every inch of space out of the Pilot, where its width lies right on the wheel wells.

It looked much better in person than from the photos and press shots I have seen.

I am sure I will see a ton more on the road in the future....

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Pilot has softer springs to give it a softer,plush ride. I would like to test drive one just to see the differance. And why is the est mpg lower than the MDX?? Did Honda change the gearing as well ?? I love the firm ride of the X.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After weeks of research, sole searching and comparison shopping I was between the Pilot and the MDX.

I just today put down my deposit for a "Premium/Base" Havasu Blue MDX w/ roof rack for $399 and a full wood package for $600. (Adds more "wood" just about everywhere but the steering wheel...)

I paid MSRP for the vehicle, was not forced to get any options and was promised delivery in early September. I was concerned about whether the MDX was too wide for my garage so the dealer actually offered to go with me to my home with a Demo to see if it fit OK. My home is 15 minutes from the dealer. It fit fine. Although the MDX is 7.5" wider than my Maxima the doors are shorter so opening them was no problem.

The Pilot at $4000 less was tempting but it:
1) Looked too much like a minivan
2) The dealer would not let me test drive it
3) No sunroof
4) no heated seats (which I really like)
5) The column shifter
6) Shorter warranty
7) no auto-dimming mirror
8) was the first year of production and therefore subject to some bugs
9) I heard was a softer ride

And finally, the MDX was simply much nicer looking!

Can't wait to get it. I'll accessorize it gradually.

The Pilot needs to have sunroof and heated seats and be dressed up a bit more. If they do that and keep a $3000 difference it will be worth getting IMO.

The touring package is way overpriced. For $1500 I'd do it, not $2600. The Navvy was tempting but is of no real use to me and is again overpriced at $2000. For a $1000 I'd do it.

For the $4600 I'd just as soon by a motorcycle!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congrats on ordering your MDX! We were also considering the Pilot until we found exactly what we wanted (GG Base MDX) and decided to take it; besides, the Pilot wasn't released when we got it anyway. Now that it is, and we have had the MDX for about 3 weeks, we definitely don't have any regrets - we love our X :)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: I spotted my first one Yesterday!

Sandman said:
I had just gotten my front windows tinted and me and the wife were commenting on other SUV's on the road how some of the older models have darker tint in the driver and passenger windows than the newer models
In reference to the tint the older vehicles used to go with the 20% tint, when the laws were much less tough. In the past the police never really bothered you about tint that was too dark. In more recent years they do give tickets and force you to remove a 20% tint to go to the legal 35% tint for the front driver and passenger window. I know I still see some older suv's with 20% all around, and it is riskier depending where you live. Some states tend to enforce more than others. The State/Highway police tend to be tougher on it. What I heard they do is if you are pulled over with windows to dark, the take a scraper and make an X on the inside of the window without scratching the glass, but forcing you to replace the tint and show it to an officer at a local station to have the ticket revoked.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Stopped by the Honda dealer yesterday while picking up my MDX from service.

Impressions: Feels, looks larger than MDX. Interior feels, looks much cheaper than MDX.

Loved the large headlights and overall "muscular" body. However, size-wise, IMO, it is closer to Sequoa, 1 size up on the MDX - maybe just an impression. Loved the roomy center-console starage. Not sure if I would trade gearshift to be mounted for that storage, but space was whopping!

Most important, 3rd seat. They seem to redesign rear wheel-wells, which brought some width room. However, IMO (no tape measure :)) 3 rear seats of the Pilot may be about 20% bigger than 2 seats in the MDX. Looked like about 1" extra of leg room back there in the Pilot. Most notable, there is about 3-5" more of the trunk space with 3rd row up in the Honda.
Loved integrated antenna, not this silly stubby one we have on the 'X.

Sticker on the one I saw was $30.5K (with running boards and tailgate deflector with integrated taillight - loved it) Honda dealers SUCKED! 3 of them stood by TALKING and none came to me to offer help. :mad: (and I was actually dressed properly, for a change - coming right after work)

Maybe they thought I was "too smart" to agree to $5K over sticker??? (Well, actually, I never bothered to ask for the price)

Bottom line - looks like a great SUV - roomy!!!!!! and smart. However, $5000 price difference with base MDX will buy you a sunroof, plood (which looks like gold in comparison with Pilot's crappy plastic), heated seats, leather, 1 extra year/12K miles of warranty - and looks like you'd need every day/inch of it :( and upscale service :) - Don't even start me on that one!!!

The bottom line - even at sticker, Pilot looks like a great choice!!! However, with Honda dealers probably as stinky as Acura ones (and, most likely EVEN WORSE), for the SAME MONEY Acura is the winner.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts