·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Pilot Prototype Photos & Specs

Honda posted up lots of Honda Pilot Prototype photos for the auto show:

http://www.hondanews.com/forms/images/index.html

Also has RSX concept photos.

It appears that one .org'er was right, that the "eight passenger" seating is just putting a third headrest in the third row, and splitting it 66/33, and saying you can put three kids there. It looks no wider than the MDX third row, assuming the vehicle is the same width. The third row is like the MDX's, not the magic seat in the Odyssey (which of course is impractical to do with the MDX/Pilot design).

There are no visible top tether anchor points for the third row, possibly because they aren't in the prototype. There are three for the second row however.

Note lack of sunroof in one photo (the one with the entertainment system).

The shifter is on the steering wheel.

Styling is way conservative, kind of a big CR-V with Highlander elements (e.g. the upright tailgate).

Don't know if the prototype is a full-sized because the photos don't show any additional room beyond the MDX, at least from what I can tell.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pre-production specifications ...

<a href="http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/honda/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***001876***-wieck_media***-***honda(directory)***.ws4d?honda/results(r)_text.html">Click here</a>

Pretty much the same as the MDX. Same engine displacement, same AWD system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, it is full-sized I think. This is a pre-production model, which is different from the "MD-X Concept" model that came out before the MDX, which was a tad shorter than the production model.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honda Press Release on Pilot

<a href="http://www.hondanews.com/Forms/corp/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws4d-db-query-Show***001880***-wieck_media***-***corp(directory)***.ws4d?corp/results(r)_text.html">Click here</a>

The Marketing folks at Honda are deeming it as the "Ultimate Family Adventure Vehicle." Stressing points like a place for children's crayons. That's all marketing speak, of course.

I believe that its price range will be from $28k to $33k. I do not believe that Honda has to price it lower than the competition for it to be successful because it compares favorably in many areas (though not all). There is no mention of a 2WD version or a smaller engine option, so there won't be a $25k variant to do battle with 4-cylinder or 2WD variants of the competition (e.g. Highlander).

The rumor mill has it that the 2003 MDX will be improved with possibly a larger engine and xenons, and perhaps more. Honda can easily price the "EX" version of the Pilot high and not worry about the MDX because they can discontinue the base version of the MDX.

Unfortunately, the Pilot will probably sell for MSRP for a while (a year?) after its introduction, making its actual selling price more than its competitors which are dealing up from invoice.

Honda is more tight-lipped than the average manufacter and details like pricing probably won't be known until very late. The pricing on the MDX wasn't publicly known until less than a month before it actually hit showrooms.

·
Registered
156 Posts
More pictures here...

www.vtec.net/news/
Click on: 2003 Honda Pilot Prototype Photos (date: 01/06)

From the PICs:
I guess the Pilot can seat 8 people since the 3rd row seats 3 instead of 2.
Looking at the instrument cluster, it seems like it's only a 4 speed automatic (rather than 5). The layout of the indicator for PRND... seem unique too.
*And I kinda like that interior metallic trim over the wood...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trim Level Details

An Edmunds poster found this:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/new/pilot/pilot03spec.htm

It can't be perfectly accurate because it doesn't list what's in the EX! There's an LX, EX, EX-L (EX plus leather), EX-L RES (DVD entertainment system), and EX-L NAVI. Guess you can't get both the navigation system and the DVD system at the same time.

Perhaps the EX adds a CD changer (cargo-area or in-dash).

I also wonder if a moonroof is available in any of the models -- the photos of the entertainment system don't show one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Similar to the Odyssey, no Nav + RES. The reason is that the RES is controlled by a split audio/video headunit which is mounted where the Navigation system would normally be.

Yeah, the specs are nothing new on that site, basically what the press received in their media kits. I would be very surprised if a moonroof is not at least optional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Drew
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing