Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at my local Honda parts shop and bought a case of HG ATF DW-1 to flush and fill my transmission this weekend.reading the back label it states "not for use in AWD differential".
I have a 2007 w/AWD.
I told the parts person this and he cross referenced on the computer and confirmed this is what I needed.
I have read many posts about using the correct HG DW-1 but want some "insider" confirmation.
thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You are correct. DW-1 does not replace Z1 for SH-AWD Differential.
You need to get AWD DPSF Fluid:

Part Number is 08200-9007A < That "A" is important, without that "A" in the end you will get "Dual Pump DPSF Fluid" which is for the CR-V rear Diff, You DONT WANT THAT! You want "AWD DPSF" like in the picture above. That is the fluid that goes into your SH-AWD Differential.

To be clear:
08200-9007 = WRONG, DONT USE IT IN SH-AWD DIFFS
08200-9007A = CORRECT, USE IN SH-AWD DIFFS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunatly I flushed 4qts. out and added 4qts. of the DW-1 before questioning this and reading the label(I know,dont have to tell me now).
How can I safely remove the DW-1?
I'm using the lower "export from engine" hose to flush the old and then add new, 4 qts at a time.Can I run the engine at idle until no trans fluid is coming out?My concern is continuing the flush/add process the new DW-1 will look the same as the new Acura DPSF so I wont know when the Dw-1 has been completly flushed.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
DW-1 is FOR the Transmission (Front Transaxle) so that is completely fine that is the ATF you should be using..
DW-1 is NOT for the REAR DIFF as in the SH-AWD Differential (Rear Axle).

For the Rear Diff you use the AWD DPSF Fluid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet!What a relief:).
The disclaimer on the back label of the HG DW-1 stating NOT for use w/AWD transmissions bout made my "fruit of the looms a fudge factory".
Wish they would specify" NOT for the Rear Diff in AWD Honda's/Acura's".
So I'm good for the transmission flush/fill.

Thanks so much-

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah the mixup was that Z1 (The former OEM ATF) was compatible with both the Transaxle and the SH-AWD Diff so that is why people would assume DW-1 (Z1 Replacement) should work both ways right? but nope. Seems DW-1 is not formulated to do Diff Duty as the old Z1 did..

That is why Acura had to come up with a special "SH-AWD Fluid" (AWD DPSF)... Sadly a lot of dealerships will push Dual Pump DPSF instead because of the close Part Number (Only the "A" tell them apart) but those fluids are not remotely the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just posted a new topic asking what ATF should be use for my 07 mdx. Im new at this so im all over the place.

The Acura/Honda shop used ATF Dexron 6 and used CHM-VTM I think VTM-4Rear Diff fluid. Does this look right? Obviously the car is 9 years old and new fluids are now on the market.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Those are both wrong fluids.. VTM4 is not intended to be used for SH-AWD Diffs, Jeez don't use that dealership ever again.

Your 07 Uses:
ATF = Acura/Honda Genuine "DW-1" ATF
SH-AWD Diff = "AWD DPSF" part number: 08200-9007A

1 - 9 of 9 Posts