Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article today about Honda surveying existing Honda car owners from the past few years to see if they would be interested in purchasing an upgrade to make their AA/ACP wireless.

Honda wireless android auto /Apple carplay upgrade

My thought is can this upgrade be available for Acura mdx (with AA/ACP) as well. It's not great that Honda is looking to monetize a software update but it would still be something I would be very interested in having.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would still have to plug my phone in because the wireless AA/ACP would drain my battery in a few hours of use (iPhone 6S+). Might as well stick with the wired solution. I would need a wireless charger (and phone with wireless charging).

Reactions: 17X

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would still have to plug my phone in because the wireless AA/ACP would drain my battery in a few hours of use (iPhone 6S+). Might as well stick with the wired solution. I would need a wireless charger (and phone with wireless charging).
Yeah so the article does say Honda's second option was bundling wireless upgrade with wireless QI charger.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
878 Posts
My Honda sales buddy confirmed it to me the other day I took my MDX for a trade in evaluation. Honda is just following BMW and Tesla where you gotta pay money for advanced features.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would tend to agree. I just upgraded from a 6s to 12 Pro, and what you say was definitely the case with my 6s. I still suspect that ACP (or Waze in a vehicle without ACP) would still drain a battery quickly.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I like the option, but don't see a good location to install QI wireless charging pad (if available).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I upgraded my RSX with a Kenwood double-din with Wireless Android Auto and a wireless motorized grip/Qi holder. You'd be surprised how convenient wireless AA is, on short trips you never bother to take the phone out of your pocket, and medium/long trips you just drop it in the grip mount.

By the way, battery drain is way less than you think because the phonescreen is off with Android Auto. I don't take the phone out of my pocket for trips under 20 minutes.

Have an gen3 MDX loaner right now, and planning to purchase one soon, so I've been planning my wireless setup in the event the Honda upgrade doesn't materialize on an MDX. I'm thinking of trying the AAwireless dongle, and my first thought is putting a QI pad in the center armrest charger bay so I can drop my phone in for the longer trips, may try to get creative with various mounts that can allow me to still use most of the storage.

Happy to see Honda looking to do after-purchase tech upgrades. Cars usually span 3-4 tech generations during their lifespan, and the integrated electronics make it much harder (but not impossible) to go aftermarket. I've kept all my Honda/Acura's for 100k-200k miles, and by the end of their use, they are filled with aftermarket tech to stay relevant. If Honda keeps these cars renewed with OEM-updated tech, it keeps up resale costs just like post-warranty reliability does, which in the long run ends up helping Honda's MSRPs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't most Hondas have wireless charging as an option? It isn't on the 3rd generation mdx. I've always thought wireless aa would go hand in hand with wireless charging and as others have said no place in mdx to fit wireless charging pad so I doubt it will be offered as an option for the mdx.

I wouldn't mind it even without the wireless charging for around town, with the option to plug in if needed

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts