Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be trading in my Ridgeline for an MDX this upcoming May. My question is, I was talking to my service manager at Honda today and told him that I was buying an MDX this May. He told me that they service a bunch of acura's there. I was quite surprised to hear this thinking you should be going to an Acura service center to get your car serviced. Does anyone do this currently with a Honda dealership or is it recommended that I go to the Acura service center. My Honda service center is awesome and I really like the guys there. They do a great job.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You may want to use them frequently on things that are similar to Honda Cars, Mainly all basic Maintenance (Except for SH-AWD oil diff changes, since they do not carry the required fluid). Engine, transmission, transfer and most suspension work can all be performed at a Honda dealership quite often for cheaper than Acura stealerships.

I would use Acura Dealerships only for: Specific SH-AWD components and diagnostics, Electric Diagnostics (Since they carry Acura specific car diagrams), Interior Panel work. But for everything else? Any Honda dealership will do..

My last visit to a dealership was here in México in a Honda dealership and they did not have any problems working with my car even when Acura just entered the Mexican market in 2012 and never carried the 2G MDX. The downside is that Honda dealerships cannot carry or order Acura specific parts.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I disagree. It helps to have rapport with a dealer. There may be a time when you need service to go to bat for you. They will know when you come in for warranty work and you have not had the car serviced there. I don’t think it’s a good idea. I don’t know how much money you would save by doing that. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You may want to use them frequently on things that are similar to Honda Cars, Mainly all basic Maintenance (Except for SH-AWD oil diff changes, since they do not carry the required fluid). Engine, transmission, transfer and most suspension work can all be performed at a Honda dealership quite often for cheaper than Acura stealerships.

I would use Acura Dealerships only for: Specific SH-AWD components and diagnostics, Electric Diagnostics (Since they carry Acura specific car diagrams), Interior Panel work. But for everything else? Any Honda dealership will do..

My last visit to a dealership was here in México in a Honda dealership and they did not have any problems working with my car even when Acura just entered the Mexican market in 2012 and never carried the 2G MDX. The downside is that Honda dealerships cannot carry or order Acura specific parts.
2016+ Honda Pilot has the same rear diff as 2016+ Acura MDX, with the same fluid requirement. Also current Honda Ridgeline. AFAIK no Honda branded vehicle has the previous version of the SH-AWD diff that 2nd-gen MDXs use, but fluid requirement is the same for that as current SH-AWD diff. ( Yes, I have posted on subtle differences in labeling of Honda and Acura AWD fluids, but Honda/Acura don't seem very concerned about it. )

Honda dealers have access to the same on-line factory service manuals and diagnostic tools as Acura dealers, but whether they are willing to work on Acuras is their call AFAIK. There are restrictions on warranty work.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The MDX won't really require very much maintenance. It's 8500 miles or so between oil changes and there are only a few other service items that need to be done for a number of years out on the MDX. Any actual problems would be under warranty. You could price the difference in, for example, an oil change at the Acura dealer vs the Honda dealer to see if there's much in the way of a difference in cost. Make sure you're comparing with the identical oil - ex: full synthetic vs blend. Air filters are ridiculously easy to change yourself but if you want a dealer to do it you could price that as well. There are only a few other maintenance items to do in the first several years.

It's great that you like your Honda dealer but you might discover you like the Acura dealer as well (or not).

My Acura dealer offers free loaners when they do any work on the vehicle. I don't know if they all do that, but I think at least most do, and I don't know if Honda does that - I'd be surprised if they did. You should factor this in when comparing costs unless you think you'd never use it, which is pretty hard to determine before you need it.

If it was me, I'd just use the Acura dealer for things I don't do myself but I do most of the maintenance myself. It's way less expensive and much less hassle to just do it when I feel like it in my driveway.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,182 Posts
The Acura dealer that we bought our MDX is integrated with the Honda dealer (finance room, paper work room, service area, parts department, etc.). In our case, its not worth driving some 40 odd miles to that dealer, to only be in another Honda dealer, instead of going to our local Honda dealer.

The MDX won't really require very much maintenance. It's 8500 miles or so between oil changes and there are only a few other service items that need to be done for a number of years out on the MDX. Any actual problems would be under warranty. You could price the difference in, for example, an oil change at the Acura dealer vs the Honda dealer to see if there's much in the way of a difference in cost. Make sure you're comparing with the identical oil - ex: full synthetic vs blend. Air filters are ridiculously easy to change yourself but if you want a dealer to do it you could price that as well. There are only a few other maintenance items to do in the first several years.

It's great that you like your Honda dealer but you might discover you like the Acura dealer as well (or not).

My Acura dealer offers free loaners when they do any work on the vehicle. I don't know if they all do that, but I think at least most do, and I don't know if Honda does that - I'd be surprised if they did. You should factor this in when comparing costs unless you think you'd never use it, which is pretty hard to determine before you need it.

If it was me, I'd just use the Acura dealer for things I don't do myself but I do most of the maintenance myself. It's way less expensive and much less hassle to just do it when I feel like it in my driveway.
My Honda dealer gave us a free loaner since my Accord was needed for some part warranty work (dealer ordered and installed part, and also part of a dealer caused accident).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.