Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering how do you guys use it, except for garage door. are the any other good use for such a good thing? lets speak it up :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
more uses...

In my hubby's TL-S we use one for our garage door, one for the neighborhood gate and the third for my parent's garage door. I LOVE having all those openers at my fingertips!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I was trying to use it as a on/off switch for my TV Tuner and DVD player in the truck, since it's a hassle to have to pull out two remotes while driving, but it didn't work. I think the IR signals are not really compatible. But, at least I tried;)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
luckymichael said:
i think homelink works not using IR, but radio frequency.
Hmmm, that makes sense. Oh well, that makes me feel even more stupid;)

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have three gargage doors, each with separate remotes, and a neighborhood gate. I use all three homelinks for the garage doors on my TL-S and my CL, but I can't find the remote for one of the garage doors so I can't program all three in the MDX. I was thinking of using the 'extra' homelink for the gate, but I don't know how. I have a remote that works with one of my garage doors and the gate, but when I use that remote to program the homelink all it does is open the garage door, not the gate. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Programming gates...

Ahhhh... I never thought of three separate doors. We have a 3 car but only two doors (one large, 1 small).

We used the old remote, which had two buttons (one for the garage, and one for the gate). Once you know which button is which, the programming of the gate was straight out of the owner's manual.

It was actually easier to program the gate than it was our garage door. Our garage has one of those rolling code things, which certainly made it a little more difficult. It took at least 20 minutes to get that one right - when it finally worked, we cheered and then we opened a few beers in celebration!:7:

The gate I did on my own in about a minute. It worked right off the bat. Good luck!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, however I don't understand what else I could do other than to follow the directions to program the garage door with the remote and assume that the gate will also work. I checked the homelink website and the instructions say to continuously press the remote to program the homelink button, but it doesn't say how many times and doesn't say what to do when the SAME button operates the garage door and the gate. I'm pretty technologically adept, but I can't figure this one out. I programmed the homelink buttons from the remotes in no time at all - but I've done that on two previous cars.

Here's another question - has anyone programmed a homelink button in one car using the homelink button in another car? As I said before, my other car's homelink buttons are programmed to operate all three garage doors, but now I can't find one of the remotes. I tried using my TL-S to program the MDX but the MDX homelink button never flashed like it should when it recognizes the remote that you are using.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm blonde - hang with me!

Let me make sure I'm understanding this. You have ONE remote with ONE button that opens both your garage door AND your neighborhood gate?

:confused:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have a garage door remote that operates one of my garage doors AND the gate - the remote has ONE button. It seems weird that the homelink button only operates the garage door, not the gate when I use this remote to program the homelink button.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmmmmm...

That does seem strange. It would be logical that the remote is only transmitting one code, and since both the gate AND your single door open with it, the code should be the same.

Have you tried opening up the remote? If it's not a rolling code opener, there can be little changeable numbers on the inside. (I've mostly seen these in replacement openers.) At least you could see what code it is set to...

My other suggestion is to borrow a gate opener from one of your neighbors. Then you could program that homelink button separately from your garage door.

Sorry not to have been of more help! Good luck, and please let us know how it all turns out!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks anyway - I'll keep looking into this situation and let you know.

·
Registered
570 Posts
AcuraMDX. Another point I read on an older post, some people said they had to be REAL close to other type of programmable items, like gates, lights, etc. Maybe to far away? :eek:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'll try it again - there's always a distinct possibility that I'm doing something wrong (like not being close enough or not holding the button long enough).

Although I don't like being wrong, I'm hoping I am wrong in this situation! I'll let you know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know some people have used Homelink with X-10 stuff to turn on/off house lights, sprinkler systems, and house alarm systems.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I solved one of my problems - I found the missing remote, now I can program all three homelink buttons - one for each garage door. I still haven't figured out the gate problem. I'll keep working on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts