Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 3 garage doors, one controller with 3 buttons. I have had since new a range problem - i.e. I have to drive up to the door for the HomeLink to work. I called HomeLink and they told me to reprogram I did with slightly better range. Now maybe 10 feet from garage. My original operators work about 50 feet away.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Other problem is sometimes the wrong door opens.

I may as well use my original remotes :mad:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Maybe the antenna is the problem. In the garage opener motor assembly there is a wire outside which is actually an antenna. Make sure it is extended all the way down (hanging down) to improve the reception.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the same problem. Range sucks... I just deal with it. Same problem on other cars with homelink... You would think that it would be better since it can draw the power of a high capacity 12 volt car battery, but the little 9 volt door opener works better.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I open mine from about 40' away. Didn't have any issues. I have keep mine pressed for a little while before it starts to activate.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't think its an universal problem. I have great range. I can open my garage from 60-70 feet away(about the distance to my neighbors house) with both Homelinks in the X and my Passat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My range could just be the area. A lot of "noise" will shorten the range, and also how picky the garage door is. Just seems like the "clicker" works better, but then again you can aim the clicker...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HomeLink customer service rep told me to put new batteries in my garage door remote before I programed the HomeLink. Apparently the stronger the remote's signal, the stronger the HomeLink's output signal is. But that did not help either:mad:

Like GCK I also find that I have to hold the HomeLink button for it to work - that is, it is not instantaneous like the remote is.

My garage door controller's antenna is in place and works well with the remotes it came with.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Homelink=useless

Maybe this thread should be in the "Problems" section because my Homelink is pretty ineffective too. My remote opens a gate that is about ten yards from my garage door. Homelink doesn't work when I'm exiting the garage, only when I'm entering (the gate) from the street. This leads me to believe that the antenna is outside. I tried new batteries in the remote when I programmed the car's unit but it didn't improve anything.

·
Registered
446 Posts
2002???

Something about the 2002's maybe? Ours will open the door from 3 houses away and I think our lots are 100' wide. I have to use the remote in my truck and it will not work until I am almost in the driveway.:confused:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have good distance for the HomeLink on my X. I just need to hold it for 2 ~ 3 seconds before garage opener to react. :eek:

I don't think noise will make a big different, since I could see airplane flying by every few minutes. (House is just minutes away from airport and under the landing route :mad: )

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey BostonX

Maybe they are after us guys from Massachusetts?

What kind of door controller do you have? I have an Allistar, one controller that controls three garage doors. The Allistar remotes have three buttons.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nope, not a Massachusetts thing. My Homelink actually has better range than the portable ones! I can open either door from 2 houses away. I also hold the button for 2-3 seconds before it starts.

The antennas on my openers are a good 18 inches long, maybe that is the problem you guys are having?

·
Registered
56 Posts
HOMELINK RANGE

My homelink works every day at about 300 feet from the three garage doors. I have to agree with several who said the button on the homelink has to be pushed for a good second in time, not just a quick bump. We have two homelinks, a 1998 Honda Accord as well as the 2001 MDX and both work very satisfactory from the 300 ft range.

Possibly some owners may have tree limbs or bushes in line of sight between thier MDX's and the garage door opener antenna. If I line up directly behind a large pine tree trunk, I feel my units do exhibit intermitent operation. With clear line of sight......100%.

Recommend everyone check and insure the garage door antenna is extended full length and clear of any obstructions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Steve,

I don't know what brand my remote is (I'm overseas right now) but it has two separate buttons, one for the gate and one for the door. It works from down the street before I can even see my building! Homelink, on the other hand, won't even work from inside the garage which itself is only a few feet from the gate! I'll check the exact location of the antenna and whether or not it's fully "extended" when I get home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same problem with my homelink with my original garage door opener (a cheap, non-major brand name model). I would have to be in the driveway right in front of the garage door and have to press the homelink button several times before it would work (and sometimes it wouldn't). So I ended up carrying and using the original remote as well. The thing was that our '99 TL's homelink worked fine from much farther away. I even had the dealer replace the homelink unit a little while after I bought the MDX, but it didn't help at all.

But today, I had my garage door and opener replaced. The opener is now a Genie Intellicode (with rolling codes), and I was able to open the garage door from about 60-80 feet away with the homelink. I don't know if it can go farther; that's something I'll be trying in the next few days.

So, I still don't know why the TL and MDX homelinks worked so differently with my original opener. I would think the electronics are the same.

·
Registered
420 Posts
kuroyama said:

But today, I had my garage door and opener replaced. The opener is now a Genie Intellicode (with rolling codes), and I was able to open the garage door from about 60-80 feet away with the homelink.
I have that same opener and my range is also about 60-70 feet. I think probably the variability of range were seeing may have to do with the brand and model of opener.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts