Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In MDX manual on "How to program the Homelink transmitter",
it says "if you want to program buttons 2 & 3 go to step 1".

Is there a special way of programming button 1.

Thought?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
swathiram,

I believe the manual tell you exactly what to do. At least on my 2002 manual.

First, press 1 & 3 together for 15~20 seconds to reset the program. (You will see the light blinking. This just need to do one time.

Then you could pick any button on the homelink, press the remote and homelink button at the same time. In about 5 seconds you will see the light blinking again, this means HomeLink is done with learning the signal from that remote.

If you have another remote for another garage door or so, just repeat the above again.

- JTM

·
Registered
80 Posts
A reminder--
After you've programmed the Homelink button... if you have a garage door opener with a rolling code, you still need to train the opener to recognize the Homelink signal. Check your garage door opener owner's manual for specific instructions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
...and as misterjon said, if you have a garage door opener w/ rolling codes, you may have to do the "programming" more than once. I had to do it 3 times on our "Phantom" garage door opener.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Checking in on you all!!

Also make sure you have new batteries in your remote before programing, most of the problems that I encountered were do to low batteries, next was the rolling codes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has any one noticed that you have to hold in the Homelink button for 2 seconds to operate the garage door? If I press and let go nothing happens. I have to press and hold it in to activate the garage door. The original transmitter only required a press and release.

·
Registered
38 Posts
SAME THING HERE

I have noticed the same thing, but it's no big deal. It's nice having the home link!

I had to program the homelink several times to get it to work with a Sears garage opener!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My garage door opener is a Lift Master (they make Sears') with the rolling code. It only took one try and about 5 minutes. I get better range with the Homelink than with the original transmitter.

What other types of devices are people using the Homelink for?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
rob1022 said:
My garage door opener is a Lift Master (they make Sears') with the rolling code. It only took one try and about 5 minutes. I get better range with the Homelink than with the original transmitter.

What other types of devices are people using the Homelink for?
got the same garage opener myself. Homelink makes couple of thing like modules for lights where you can turn on lights before you come in. Activate security system for home, etc. pretty cool if you ask me. Here is their website

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's interesting that no one answered the original question - is there a special way of programming button 1? The answer is no. The instructions are confusing because they first tell you how to erase all three buttons and then program the buttons. If you follow the instructions from the beginning to program each button, then you'll erase all the codes first! That's why they are saying to go to step 1 - the instructions could have been a bit clearer, but they assume you're going to program button 1 first and then buttons 2 and 3. Of course, you can program the buttons in any order, but you should only erase all the codes when you want to start with no codes for any of the buttons. I don't really understand the reason why you can't erase individual buttons - kinda short sighted. It's a real pain if you mess up and have to reprogram all of them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dale in theory in any car with a garage door opener all they would need would be your garage door opener and registration with your address on it, which is usually in the glove box.

There was an actual theft ring in Ft. Lauderdale a few years back that did just that: smash the window, grab the garage door opener and registration and robbed the house when people were out...

It is a scarry thought, that is why police recommend a locked door to the garage and home alarm system.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Sandman said:
Dale in theory in any car with a garage door opener all they would need would be your garage door opener and registration with your address on it, which is usually in the glove box.

There was an actual theft ring in Ft. Lauderdale a few years back that did just that: smash the window, grab the garage door opener and registration and robbed the house when people were out...

It is a scarry thought, that is why police recommend a locked door to the garage and home alarm system.
I agree, and although few would bother, you can take your remote with you when you leave the car.

Maybe there is a way the Homelink could be deactivated when you leave the car. Not sure how it would remain deactivated if a 'jacker' got a hold of your keys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not having much success getting HomeLink to work with my Sears garage door openers...I've tried both methods (non-rolling and rolling) in the manual and I get nothing.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Milo,

My homelink works both of my Sears garage door openers. They
are both rolling and about 5/6 years old. I just followed the instructions
in the owner's manual and everything works just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Huh. Did you unplug the garage door(s) and reset the HomeLink each time?

Maybe we just need to try more.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Milo,

If you really have problem to get it work. I suggest you bring the remote to the dealership. Someone will help you to program it.

- JTM

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had to try several times before I could get the Homelink to recognize my gate (non-rolling) and garage (rolling). In the case of my gate, I had to actually hold the remote farther from the Homelink to get it to recognize. As for my garage, it took several tries with using the "training" button on the opener before it recognized it. Then, it actually knocked out my "real" remote so I had to reprogram that one too!

Finally, everything seems to work. I also ended up clearing the Homelink and reprogramming both buttons before it all came together. Keep trying - it will work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My garage is Sears also and I had to try it a few times. Be sure you look for the red light to start flashing like the manual says. The first couple times no light started to flash and the Homelink was not picking up the signal from my remote obviously.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts